Dream learning

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Dream learning

Postby everything on Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:03 pm

sorry to be way behind on this topic.

so the basic beginner task is have a notebook right beside you and try to write some things down after waking?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:50 am

everything wrote:sorry to be way behind on this topic.

so the basic beginner task is have a notebook right beside you and try to write some things down after waking?

Yes, that’s the basic advise I got here. I do have pen and papers nearby the bed, but I find it hard to find the discipline to actually sit up and take note first thing after waking up, especially if it’s in the very early morning hours. Some dreams are there as clear memories after walking up and not easy go away such as my OP dream, which now has made me go through the Karate katas(forms) I know on a daily basis since… Which also lead me to an online “Shotokan”Karate magazine where I found an article theorizing on the most basic Shotokan Kata - “Taikyuku shodan” which would translate to us Taijiquan enthusiasts to something as “first Taiji form”. The founder of Shotokan said that an expert karateka would come back and value that Kata. Back when I was an Shotokan’ist I really disliked that form, but now I actually do see it in another light when I go through it…So now thanks to my dream I’ve now embarked on a “new”(added to my)daily practice routine.
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:58 am

Should say that the Taikyuku Kata Of Shotokan does not at all resemble Chinese Taijiquan.at least not on a first glance, and not even on a deeper glance.…but at the deepest glance things begin to surface :)
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:58 am

It's kind of a pain in the beginning and will definitely result in your being a little sleep deprived for a good month to six weeks.

After the skill is built though it really gets interesting.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:51 am

Trick wrote:
wiesiek wrote:As I recall my dreamin` experience, there is few of them so intensive , that I remember them sharp.
In one , I was renegade from the secret sect chasing by 9 former 'brothers".
They got me on the end, and slashed on pieces during heavy swords fight .
What`s really interesting - I woke up with severe pain in the areas where I was cut,
+ why they come in number of the 9?
`cause I was 8 direction sword Disciple, they needed 9th sword to get me from "unguarded" side...,
kind of the funny thing, but I get this info directly in the dream.

Speakin` about learning thru dreamin` or better "conscious dreaming" - as Peacedog noted - Tibetans has the best "how to" books .

That’s quite an interesting action dream with having the bruises from the dream for real. I punched a wall just beside the bed once when dreaming being in a fight, not really painful but the fist on wall impact made me wake up.……As you say some dreams are so clear they remain as real memories, and as I’ve noticed long time ago dreams during full moon times are especially clear and vivid.

suppose, that we had two different dreaming experiences , my was like >flash back< from the previous life,while yours more like today workout shift accident ... ;)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:36 pm

So I didn't put a log by my nightstand, but I did try to write down things in online notes within 12 hours or so after waking up. So far so good.

How long do I do this, and then what?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:04 am

Until you start waking up in side your dreams and can actively change things.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:49 am

I feel like that has sort of happened to me before like "oh shit wait this is a dream (inside the dream thinking that" but not with any consistent, conscious control.

not sure what benefits this is supposed to have. more control of more parts of the brain at once? tell your dream brain to help you solve a problem you were thinking about while you are sleeping? etc.
Last edited by everything on Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby edededed on Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:28 pm

I don't have a dream-notebook yet, but I've started dreaming again! (Or at least I remember that I dreamed, even if I forget the contents.)

I even saw my "shifu" and "shiye" in one - still waiting for special dream transmissions, though ;D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:57 am

So a full moon is on its way and as I mentioned earlier in the thread my full moon nights dreams are quite clear and vivid so I actually looking forward for these monthly nights...Last night I dreamt I’m in amusement park, a guy suggest to me to try out the roller coaster but the lesser daring one, but if I choose to take the ride I must wear a pair of these boots that the guy shows me and that make me somewhat confused why riding the “easy” roller coaster one must wear sturdy footwear !?..……Of course last night i was looking up online about Timberland boots since I’m thinking to buy a pair, so that explain the boots thing in the dream, and also from my balcony I can see the big Ferris wheel that’s in the “ghost”amusement park on the other side of the hills in the near distance………I don’t know if there’s an specific message in that dream, but anyway it’s quite interesting and fun how the brain pussle together things while in the nocturnal dream state.
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:59 am

The advantages of doing dream work are basically as follows:

1. It works as a gateway to projecting out of the body. This can allow you to make contact with other entities and acts as a conduit for information.
2. It allows you to engage in mental level meditation using what would otherwise be downtime.
3. It allows you to identify and remove negative, or counter productive, thought patterns and beliefs in your astral/mental bodies. This is very helpful for the milder forms of PTSD, addiction and beliefs that prevent your success in the physical world.
4. It allows you to ward your dreams against outside intrusion/prevent outside influences from manipulating you while asleep.

You cannot really do energetic level meditations here, like running the orbits or stance work, as when the body is lying flat you lack the stressor of gravity upon the body. Some Tibetan schools teach their practitioners to sleep sitting upright for this reason. I'm not sure that is healthy over the long term.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby RickMatz on Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:37 am

I was dreaming of hot dogs doing the polka with doughnuts on a train rushing through a tunnel. I have no idea of what it means.
RickMatz
Huajing

Postby Peacedog on Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:42 am

Sounds like someone is wanting da carbs!

Again one of the advantages of doing this kind of work is clearing out the crap from your subconscious. And this is something I discuss with students a lot. A good percentage of the stuff that comes up in meditation is just junk.

Clearing that out is a good part of what I call mental hygiene. I have no idea what the dancing hotdogs and donuts mean, but in many ways it probably doesn't matter.

With time you can get good at this kind of thing and go from watching the mental equivalent of the Jersey Shore in your down time to maybe doing something more productive. But even if what you are doing isn't productive, at least you won't be watching the Jersey Shore.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Rickmaz -
Sausage Party movie.

I fell asleep with my face in my open physics book.
I got A on he test.
roger hao

Postby edededed on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:22 pm

I learned somewhere that the "Daoist way" of sleeping is lying down on your side, kind of curled up. Any idea why this is? And is it good/bad for the dream practice?

I like the idea of using my downtime for something useful...
edededed
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic