How to maintain your ability?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: How to maintain your ability?

Postby windwalker on Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:52 pm

You can't maintain something you don't do.
The only way to maintain it is by doing it and then working on the things that either make it better or address things that prevent it.

Absent this, anything done, it's not done to maintain, ability whatever the said ability is.

The hard part fore most is gaining the ability and verifying the ability gained, to the depth and level expected or required.

In most activities there's a peak time that is recognized for some reason in CMA this is ignored.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby MaartenSFS on Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:34 pm

I totally agree with that. Deciding what skills you want to keep, how you gained them in the first place and training to improve those skills is what is most important, besides sparring and maintaining your overall athleticism.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby taiwandeutscher on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:27 pm

Dmitri wrote:
Wanderingdragon wrote:Maintainence of ability without evolution of skill, is pause before stagnation.

Decline is inevitable; our cells (all if them, from hair to skin to muscles to neurons to...) will gradually perform worse and worse. So at some point your rate of "evolution of skill" will become equal to the rate of decline of your abilities, at which point you would, mathematically, reach "stagnation". It's gonna happen to everyone, no matter what they do or who they are. Furthermore, that trend will continue, so your skill will decline, with time. "Maintenance" is a really good choice of words for the OP; it doesn't put emphasis on improvement, but on retaining a reasonably functional set of attributes and abilities. And, your expectations of your performance would also need to be gradually "adjusted down" with time. The trick is to try and keep the rate of that adjustment as low as possible.
As a friend puts it, "I want to go out like a light switch, not like a dimmer". :)

My son commented the other day how most (healthy) old cats and dogs run around and generally appear to be fine until the very last couple of hours of their lives. I told him (healthy) old humans should be that way also. That's how my great-grandfather passed at 99 yo (I was 12), and then his daughter at 94, both in their sleep without hospitals or being pumped with drugs like they do in the modern society, and in the US specifically. He used to say "movement is life"and they both were actively living that line, every single day. (And I'm hoping I can too.)

Agreed 100%!
hongdaozi
taiwandeutscher
Wuji

Postby edededed on Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:36 pm

That reminds me of a bizarre practice (of Americans?) - arbitrarily putting their beloved pets "to sleep" one day before their natural end comes. Kind of weird how everyone cries and is sad about it - despite it not having to happen. I am pretty sure that no one asked the pet if he/she wants it that way, either.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Bob on Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:20 pm

For most of us, at some point, our absence from the world leaves few if any footprints behind - enjoy and nurture what evolves out of the decline i.e. appreciation of your life experiences - seen a few of my twenty year friendship/martial arts brothers cross the divide lately.
Bob
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan