Combat stances, combat sports

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Combat stances, combat sports

Postby klonk on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:08 am

When I was a young chap learning martial arts, I learned low horse stance, snake creeps down, iron broom. Suchlike. Low was good, right? Back in that benighted day.

If I am seeing this correctly, all that was make-work for lesson money, for it does not figure in any fighting competition I have ever seen. I am trying to imagine uses and coming up blank.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Re: Combat stances, combat sports

Postby jaime_g on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:42 am

If I am seeing this correctly, all that was make-work for lesson money, for it does not figure in any fighting competition I have ever seen. I am trying to imagine uses and coming up blank.

https://youtu.be/98WzrOfALz4

A lot of really low stances make sense when you use sacrifice throws or they are used against you

As most cma competitions ignore the ground or stop the fight after a fall, this kind of counters rarely appear
Last edited by jaime_g on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby klonk on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:48 am

jaime_g wrote:

A lot of really low stances make sense when you use sacrifice throws

Oh please, amigo. It takes no special talent to fall down. I have done it from infancy.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:49 am

klonk wrote:
jaime_g wrote:

A lot of really low stances make sense when you use sacrifice throws

Oh please, amigo. It takes no special talent to fall down. I have done it from infancy.

True. But falling down throwing a decent grappler is another thing
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby johnwang on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:30 am

klonk wrote:low horse stance, snake creeps down, iron broom. Suchlike. Low was good, right?

Low stance is used in the throwing art and not used in the striking art. If you want to use your hand to grab your opponent's leg, you have to be low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijt_gxz ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3HcNQa ... e=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou3oCO3 ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by johnwang on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:48 am

I read "snake creeps down" to say "kick him in the face." I am sure other and better scholars read the text differently. ;)

It is a good advantage in a fight if you can get hold of your opponent's ankle. I shall grant that.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:06 am

Of course the low stances are there also to build up strength and movability of the lower body, combined with the upper body in positions of leaning, twisting or being erect it can form a whole body gymnastic exercise(think yoga asana)………Some exercises are formed so that the leg stance is “locked” so the waist and minimum hip move is to be practiced. If I remember right ‘klonk’ used to practice Shotokan Karate So he should be familiar with this from the Tekki katas.………An observation, many strikers(boxers) tend to stand wider(not low) than kickers………………Just some rudimentary thoughts on this, there are more “deeper” stuff to the stances in for example the Chinese internal martial arts.
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:42 am

Depends what you mean by "low".

Don't forget weapons.
Last edited by GrahamB on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:44 am

Also, modern MMA stances can get pretty low:

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:46 am

Also saw lots of kumite. Not much low horse stance in that. I am not sure I would call Tekki low altitude as the Chinese account it, but develop your argument as you will.

There is a beautiful move in Tekki, one of the reasons you gotta love Shotokan. Once someone realizes that tendon nerve hit on the back of his knee just came out of nowhere and he just lost his balance, ah, so.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 am

GrahamB wrote:Depends what you mean by "low".

Don't forget weapons.

I meant low basin, not low character. Or low comedy. Thanks awfully, chap. :D
Last edited by klonk on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:06 am

I read "snake creeps down" to say "kick him in the face." I am sure other and better scholars read the text
It is a good advantage in a fight if you can get hold of your opponent's ankle. I shall grant that.

Agreed that people tend to not teach realistic apps for lower stances....
...It’s hard to demonstrate or practice throwing applications or take down defenses in a group of pensioners... :P

;D
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:22 am

...It’s hard to demonstrate or practice throwing applications or take down defenses in a group of pensioners... :P

Ey! I resemble that remark! (American joke. Three Stooges. If said fast in Brooklynese, it almost sounds like 'resent that'. One thing said for another by mistake; malapropism.)
Last edited by klonk on Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:22 am

I get in matched low stances all the time with some people pushinghands. They want to go down so I follow. Not that I do a lot of horse stances but the idea is the same. Trained more on snakecreeps down supported by high zz.

It's also good as a throw/knock down, starts with a slight withdraw and drop that pulls them forward off balance right on to your shoulder then shoulder stroke launch and they go flying.
Last edited by origami_itto on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:32 am

Jon Jones crawl or wrestler's shooting stance.

marvin8
Wuji

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan