The Martial Man: Mindful Wing Chun — Sifu Nima King Pts 1-2

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

The Martial Man: Mindful Wing Chun — Sifu Nima King Pts 1-2

Postby marvin8 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:31 pm

THE MARTIAL MAN
Published on Nov 24, 2018

Watch part one of my exclusive video interview with Sifu Nima King, discussing the internal methods of Wing Chun passed down to him by his teacher, Grandmaster Chu Shong Tin. Filmed in Hong Kong with Kieren Krygier for THE MARTIAL MAN show.

To learn more about Sifu Nima King, please visit his website, Youtube channel and official Facebook page by clicking on the links below.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiYQrj ... abJy0wY8nA
Facebook page: https://web.facebook.com/sifunimaking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik3XObdYi-w

THE MARTIAL MAN
Published on Dec 15, 2018

Watch part two of my exclusive video interview with Sifu Nima King, discussing the internal methods of Wing Chun passed down to him by his teacher, Grandmaster Chu Shong Tin. Filmed in Hong Kong with Kieren Krygier for THE MARTIAL MAN show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-71qg53gVQ
Last edited by marvin8 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Re: The Martial Man: Mindful Wing Chun — Sifu Nima King (Part I)

Postby origami_itto on Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:12 pm

I thought it was a very interesting interview. The way he approaches the more esoteric appearing phenomena matter of factly is compelling.

At one point he mentions tai gung and says "Tai gung means the lift the sphincter". I thought tai gung was in common language a vulgar or familiar way of telling someone to sit their ass down in a chair. Used in IMA context to denote the feeling of sitting down on the legs into a stance. I'm not a native speaker, just the context I've gleaned from instruction and even some movies. (The boss of team evil tells coach Golden Leg to tai gung and gestures at a lawn chair in Shaolin Soccer, for example).

Going to check out part two.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby littlepanda on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Interesting stuff especially the part where he talks about the Decompression of the spine.
littlepanda
Anjing

Postby Bao on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:45 am

oragami_itto wrote:At one point he mentions tai gung and says "Tai gung means the lift the sphincter". I thought tai gung was in common language a vulgar or familiar way of telling someone to sit their ass down in a chair. Used in IMA context to denote the feeling of sitting down on the legs into a stance.

No idea about this, but if you look at tMartial Man's Samuel Kwok interview, Mr Kwok also refer to "tai gung" and says something like that it's like tensing the buttocks.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:33 am

That guy can really talk a lot can't he.

For me personally, I find I resonate more with John Kaufman's explanation of this style of WC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zcx61EGvZU

Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby HotSoup on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:03 pm

GrahamB wrote:That guy can really talk a lot can't he.

Apparently, CST was able to impress Nima with his abilities quite a lot. But it didn't seem like Nima was ready to demonstrate similar feats himself. Perhaps in part two..
HotSoup
Anjing

Re: The Martial Man: Mindful Wing Chun — Sifu Nima King Pts 1-2

Postby marvin8 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Added part 2 of "Mindful Wing Chun - Sifu Nima King" to the OP.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby DoubleA on Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:43 pm

HotSoup wrote:
GrahamB wrote:That guy can really talk a lot can't he.

Apparently, CST was able to impress Nima with his abilities quite a lot. But it didn't seem like Nima was ready to demonstrate similar feats himself. Perhaps in part two..

After watching both clips, I was impressed with his ability, and explanation. GrahamB and HotSoup, any second thoughts after watching part 2, or still the same?
DoubleA
Santi

Postby Bao on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:22 am

I enjoy his enthusiasm and I have respect for his passion and for his generosity. Most people would lock up all of the videos of his teacher and not let anyone watch them.

Wonder though why he makes it all so simple. People might lose interest if he takes away all of the mysticism and everything that makes it hard. Chu Shong Tin spoke about accessing and using a special part of your brain, something that might appeal to people, making them feel special. Nima says it's all just about straightening your spine a certain way and releasing the joints. Who is right, CST or Nima? Who has the better understanding of the method?
Last edited by Bao on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:33 am

Bao wrote:I enjoy his enthusiasm and I have respect for his passion and for his generosity. Most people would lock up all of the videos of his teacher and not let anyone watch them.

Wonder though why he makes it all so simple. People might lose interest if he takes away all of the mysticism and everything that makes it hard. Chu Shong Tin spoke about accessing and using a special part of your brain, something that might appeal to people, making them feel special. Nima says it's all just about straightening your spine a certain way and releasing the joints. Who is right, CST or Nima? Who has the better understanding of the method?

Obviously CST had better understanding, but I would say that both are right. Nima was talking about a basic method, also described by CST in many videos. There are much more advanced stuff, described by both CST and Nima, that would need much more complicated explanations.

Maybe he doesnt want people looking for mysticism, maybe he wants to actually teach his students.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:32 am

DoubleA wrote:After watching both clips, I was impressed with his ability, and explanation. GrahamB and HotSoup, any second thoughts after watching part 2, or still the same?

I must admit, part 2 has changed my opinion. Usually people don't show, leave aside explain, this kind of stuff to general public.
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby GrahamB on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:51 am

I don't think what he's showing is unique. It's basic Jin - you can find it in most Chinese martial arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozIQpOqv9ms

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Rhen on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:25 pm

Can't stand the martial bone head. he promotes goofs like Adam, Liang, and looks like he is going to do Damo next.
Rhen

Postby Trick on Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:55 pm

Just say no to him when he calls you for an interview/video reportage
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:04 am

Trick wrote:Just say no to him when he calls you for an interview/video reportage

<3
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Return to Video Links