What kind of diet are you following?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: What kind of diet are you following?

Postby everything on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:00 am

really interesting summary of how those diets went for you.

yeah the scheduling is probably a huge thing, so the body knows what to do, and you can handle it. only times I've been able to "easily" lose weight/fat on purpose were when doing lower carb, lower portion, and trying to eat 6 meals a day. almost didn't matter what I ate (could be hamburgers if I chucked away half the food literally). the pounds kind of melted away fast. frequent eating seems to keep the metabolism going fine. exercised a lot too.

I never did it, but reading about bodybuilders' diets, they'd eat carbs in the morning, maybe fat from egg yolk. then no fat. then maybe fish oil before bed for repair/health/inflammation decrease. speaking of weightlifters' type diets, due to a shoulder injury I can't lift the standard heavy weights (bench/deadlift/squat), so I've never tried a bulk/cut kind of routine. I assume that's plentiful carbs/fat/protein cycled with low carb/plentiful protein. would like to try this to some extent. would like to lose maybe 10-15 lbs fat for vanity, sports performance, and health, but don't need to go extreme in any way.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:18 pm

@peacedog,. Wow
Nice write up.

"I would lose a lot of weight pretty quickly. I think I lost 28 pounds in SERE over three weeks."

Back in the 70s stationed in Germany, we did an abbreviated course hosted by special forces. I was the medic in the grunt squad that went through it. Good training.

when I was in the service no problem with weight. Was very active in training, CMA practice after duty hrs teaching and working out with other martial artists in the unit.

The unit I was in at the time used to run 3-4 miles daily in the morning during PT

Aftter the service my CMA training also burned a lot of calories, I stopped running. Kinda burned out on it from the army. :P

Training changed drastically when I started getting into taiji. The type of taiji I did, still challenging but for me not aerobic enough.

Now after arriveing at my own conclusions about CMA I'm basically going back to where I started from only with taiji engine. The dieting and fasting stuff, something I've never thought about but seems very interesting.

Somehow The limited fasting I do, do. Don't know if you can really call it a fast it's only for a day, seems to bring great clarity of mind.

A little long in the tooth now would like to get back to a weight closer to when I was in my 20s.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:51 pm, edited 8 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Windy,

No problem. As a heavyset guy in the military you get proficient at cutting weight for weigh-ins or you get kicked out.

As a result, I'd tried and done virtually all of the possible variations of dieting that come up.

I won't get into veganism or calorie restricted portions. They both just sucked and only worked for the mentally ill in my experience.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:28 am

I am now tapering off of full keto to pursue a less extreme low-carbs approach. I began with a small helping of cornbread stuffing at Thanksgiving. (It was great.) My particular needs are met if I simply keep my glycogen storage from overloading. If I ever decide to zero out my stored glycogen again, I think I will do it with fasting instead of the keto diet. The experiment with keto was interesting, but it isn't a diet for everyone.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:52 pm

Thanksgiving here in the USA was pretty brutal. I ate so many carbs. It was fabulous.

Luckily, I don't think I gained any weight and feel pretty good. Would love to lose 10 lbs in the next few months, but as a side effect of fewer processed foods, mainly.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:38 pm

As I do work in the environmental field on emissions, I am putting my words into action and so I have meat only every once in a while (maybe once or twice a month) and milk(coffees mostly), yoghurt, and cheese every once in a while as well, again less than weekly. Eggs, fish, and legumes are what I am relying on for protein. And as many carbs vegetables and fruit as I like... I have no problem keeping weight off but this diet in addition to regular exercise does make one very hungry all the time in my experience over the past year. My weight has stayed steady
Last edited by vadaga on Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:18 pm

Cool that's the diet I am trying to shift toward

Minus the dairy altogether
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:11 pm

something else I struggle with is trying to not eat for 3 hours before bedtime.

if I somehow pull this off for 3 hours, or even 4-5, everything seems so much better. it's great to wake up really hungry, and break the fast with something nutritious.

for some dumb reason, changing to this habit is hard for me.
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:04 am

I usually eat a slice of bread no butter or any toppings just a slice 20-30 min before bedtime , when I do this i noticed that i easily fall asleep and sleep deep trough the night. Since I usually go to bed just before midnight time it’s too many hours since my last meal so the bread slice make it feel perfectly comfortable.
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:33 am

Interesting how some of you struggle to come up with a special/best for you diet. Don’t you get a great healthy appetite doing yours regular daily martial arts practice, practice that you have done for quite many years ? You should by now know what and how much of what foods your bodies crave to keep it up?……Nowadays I just do about an hour of practice and I still get an good appetite after it, I mostly eat regular as little as non processed it can be food, but occasionally and not too far in between pizzas, burgers, fries and cakes go down too, and a(1) beer a day seem no problem. Doing the daily exercises seem to burn it all well……
Trick

Postby Trick on Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:36 am

vadaga wrote:As I do work in the environmental field on emissions, I am putting my words into action and so I have meat only every once in a while (maybe once or twice a month) and milk(coffees mostly), yoghurt, and cheese every once in a while as well, again less than weekly. Eggs, fish, and legumes are what I am relying on for protein. And as many carbs vegetables and fruit as I like... I have no problem keeping weight off but this diet in addition to regular exercise does make one very hungry all the time in my experience over the past year. My weight has stayed steady

Why would eating meat be bad for the environment ?
Trick

Postby everything on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:34 am

I think it's deforestation, methane, water pollution, extinction of other species, and more.

Environmental impact of meat production
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search
The environmental impact of meat production varies because of the wide variety of agricultural practices employed around the world. All agricultural practices have been found to have a variety of effects on the environment. Some of the environmental effects that have been associated with meat production are pollution through fossil fuel usage, animal methane, effluent waste, and water and land consumption. Meat is obtained through a variety of methods, including organic farming, free range farming, intensive livestock production, subsistence agriculture, hunting, and fishing.

The 2006 report Livestock's Long Shadow, released by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations, states that "the livestock sector is a major stressor on many ecosystems and on the planet as a whole. Globally it is one of the largest sources of greenhouse gases (GHG) and one of the leading causal factors in the loss of biodiversity, while in developed and emerging countries it is perhaps the leading source of water pollution."[1] Removing all US agricultural animals would reduce US greenhouse gas emissions by 2.6%.[2] (In this and much other FAO usage, but not always elsewhere, poultry are included as "livestock".) A 2017 study published in the journal Carbon Balance and Management found animal agriculture's global methane emissions are 11% higher than previous estimates based on data from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.[3] Some fraction of these effects is assignable to non-meat components of the livestock sector such as the wool, egg and dairy industries, and to the livestock used for tillage. Livestock have been estimated to provide power for tillage of as much as half of the world's cropland.[4] According to production data compiled by the FAO, 74 percent of global livestock product tonnage in 2011 was accounted for by non-meat products such as wool, eggs and milk.[5][not in citation given] Meat is also considered one of the prime factors contributing to the current sixth mass extinction.[6][7][8][9] A July 2018 study in Science asserts that meat consumption will increase as the result of human population growth and rising individual incomes, which will increase carbon emissions and further reduce biodiversity.[10]

In November 2017, 15,364 world scientists signed a Warning to Humanity calling for, among other things, drastically diminishing our per capita consumption of meat.[11]
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:34 am

Yes it could be like that, but lets say were to stop eat meat in a near future, will we still let “formerly” livestock such cows and pigs to reproduce, maybe they’ll grow in such numbers so they anyway eat “our” soybeans and corn. Wonder what’s the scientist bigger picture, would it be, kill all cows and pigs then we(humanity) will be able to feed of the planet a little longer ?
Trick

Postby everything on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:16 pm

Hmm yeah, I don't know. There are some articles about "cloning" meat where you don't even go through the process of raising cows. In theory, you could eat the exact same hamburger again and again. Who knows about dangers, side effects, ethics, consumer acceptance, regulations, lobbyists, etc., etc.

I'm not a vegetarian, but all the fad diets and other diets and mothers in the world would agree that eating more fresh vegetables that aren't fried or overcooked is probably a really good idea for almost everyone. More or less, I'm trying to cut down on processed foods, meats, and fried foods, and learn to enjoy more vegetables. There was a good article about some old dude who had a heart attack or something like that. He went to his health food grocery store and bought literally every single vegetable sold there over time and learned to cook every single one. After about a year, he attained much better health (as measured in his cholesterol etc.). I haven't been able to do that yet, haha.
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:12 pm

Basically, I eat what I feel like eating. That simply works for me because I perceive no problems in terms of health or weight. Trick's point, imo, is that if the problem is weight, then the problem is often simply a matter of activity level. I.e., no matter the source of the calories, they are accumulating not being burned off.

The complications come when there are illnesses connected to or caused by the diet, and when being overweight is itself the illness. But, that depends on the individual. It could be a metabolic issue or it could be psychological.

Another critical issue is the level of performance an individual needs or wants. If you're a marathoner, your diet will often determine your ability. It's not clear that fasting would be the best idea. Otoh, if you're sedentary, fasting (or caloric restriction) would probably help keep the excess pounds off.

So, it might be good to set a personal performance benchmark. (Unless we're just talking about foods that make one feel good or bad). Adjust the intake of calories in terms of type and/or quality, and note the difference. Choose the diet that works best.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic