Fury - Wilder

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Fury - Wilder

Postby Steve James on Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:17 pm

Mad respect --no pun intended-- for Tyson Fury. Great fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7vfT2TtOJk
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Re: Fury - Wilder

Postby vadaga on Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:03 am

3 years later...

edit. vid removed unfortunately due to copyright infringement. I got through round 1 but when I refeshed my browser 4 hours later it was gone . -aho-
Last edited by vadaga on Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:51 am

Excerpt from "Video Shows Referee’s Slow Count Saving Tyson Fury in the Deontay Wilder Trilogy:"

SANJIT MISRA on 10/10/2021, 4:51 PM EDT wrote:Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder went head-to-head for the third time on Saturday night. While ‘The Bronze Bomber’ showed a lot of heart in the fight, Tyson Fury proved to the world that he was the better man in this trilogy.

‘The Gypsy King’ knocked out Deontay Wilder in round 11 and retained his WBC heavyweight world title. However, much like the previous two fights, even this fight had its fair share of controversies.

Fans, other fighters, and even Andre Ward on the fight desk pointed out a moment in the fight that could have possibly changed Wilder’s chances. After getting dropped in round 3, the Alabama native made a comeback in round 4 and dropped Fury back as his big right hand connected effectively.

However, it seems that the referee gave Tyson Fury a bit more than 10 seconds to get back up after Wilder dropped him. A video that has now gone viral shows that after the fifth count, the referee decided to take some time off in between before resuming with the sixth count.

Before delivering the sixth count, the ref asked Wilder to step back into his corner and then proceeded with his countdown. Many objected to the delay in the referee’s countdown. ...
marvin8
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Mon Oct 11, 2021 2:03 am

There's always a controversy with those two :)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:11 am

It may have been a slow count, but the better boxer won the fight. Wilder had a puncher's chance, but that was it. He was outreached, outweighed, and out-boxed. He wasn't supposed to win. He had even less of a chance because Fury could take his punch, get knocked down, and still get back up. That ability, his skills, and his mouth got into Wilder's head.

No boxer you'll speak to will say that Wilder has better skills than Fury. If you simply compare head and foot movement, Fury's better. Yet, he's also clever. He knows when and how to use his height and weight. He has a superior --or should I say effective --jab/lead. But he also uses body punches.

He probably is the most complete heavyweight around today, and certainly deserves the title. Still, Wilder fought a warrior's fight, and you can't take anything away from his heart.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:24 am

Steve James wrote:Wilder had a puncher's chance, but that was it. ...

No boxer you'll speak to will say that Wilder has better skills than Fury. If you simply compare head and foot movement, Fury's better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHMRSCVfkg
marvin8
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:07 am

I watched the highlights... even with the knockdowns Fury did not seem to be in danger too much
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:29 am

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:02 am

vadaga wrote:when I refeshed my browser 4 hours later it was gone . -aho-

Youtube ones were too zoomed in. Try here.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Thanks Marvin I am watching it now and in round 2. Funny that Wilder who has knockout power in his right hand always looks like he's afraid to get hit. Defenses are not the best for him. Also Fury had already begun clubbing Wilder's left ear in round 2... Wilder eventually gets knocked out with a punch there later on
Last edited by vadaga on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:35 pm

vadaga wrote:Thanks Marvin I am watching it now and in round 2. Funny that Wilder who has knockout power in his right hand always looks like he's afraid to get hit. Defenses are not the best for him. Also Fury had already begun clubbing Wilder's left ear in round 2... Wilder eventually gets knocked out with a punch there later on

Yes, Wilder seems easy to hit. He doesn't defend or get off line very well.

I am watching the post breakdown now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848A0eM5rK4
marvin8
Wuji

Postby vadaga on Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:26 am

Good match but comparisons to Ali-Frazier are a bit excessive.
善人和气一团
vadaga
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:35 am

Well, several former heavyweight champs have made the comparison. For me, it's not just that fight. It's the fact both were great heavyweight championship fights that were the definitive end of trilogies. There've been many great single fights, and lots of trilogies. But, imo, it's safe to say this was the best for this generation so far.
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic