Prove me wrong: Push hands competitions

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Prove me wrong: Push hands competitions

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:40 am

I think push hands competitions are wrestling competitions with all the fun moves taken out.

Prove me wrong. :P

Last edited by GrahamB on Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Prove me wrong: Push hands competitions

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 am

Well, when push hands is turned into a competition, the goal is winning in any way that is allowed. That could be wrestling or striking. It's not going to look like what people expect of tcc.

However, that doesn't mean that tcc skills can't be used in grappling or striking.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 am

Striking in a push hands competition? Never seen that.....
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:30 am

Pretty much agree, pH competitions like this are more like sumo with no striking, to me.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:31 am

can't even watch it, but sumo is pretty awesome.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:19 am

GrahamB wrote:Striking in a push hands competition? Never seen that.....

What you've seen is irrelevant ;). If one wants to argue that there's no striking in push hands, then the logical conclusion would be that there's no striking in tcc. In a push hands or tcc competition, one might expect to see strikes. If there's a push hands competition with no strikes, it's because strikes are not permitted in the rule set. If people define that as push hands --and say, for ex., that "striking hands" is something else-- that's their definition and fine.

I'm not really arguing against your point, Graham. Alls I'm saying is that when people wrestle or strike, it tends to look similar. Push hands, imo, is an exercise to train things. It has to be cooperative. If not, people inevitably resort to the techniques that work. Often, it looks like struggling, not like what people expect "tcc" to look like. In fact, when a tcc "master" goes up against a basic mma guy, it doesn't even look like tcc when he loses. Otoh, if he does ok, people will say it looks like wrestling or kick-boxing (boo).

Ya can't win by depending on peoples' expectations.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:40 am

Steve, I was specifically talking about Push hands Competitions, not just "push hands" (which can be anything) - there are pretty standard and accepted rule sets for competitions that vary only slightly from each other. We don't need to philosophise on what push hands might or might not be.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 am

oragami_itto wrote:Pretty much agree, pH competitions like this are more like sumo with no striking, to me.

You seriously underestimate Sumo!
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:16 am

And recently we see that wrestlers are training some push hands
to be able to compete in PH.
Since PH has rules like - no grabbing -
Why not have a rule that the ref breaks it up similar to a clinch
when they use force against force.?
roger hao

Postby origami_itto on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:45 am

GrahamB wrote:
oragami_itto wrote:Pretty much agree, pH competitions like this are more like sumo with no striking, to me.

You seriously underestimate Sumo!

Naw I've got lots of respect for sumo, and wrestling too.

I suppose I should say it looks like BAD sumo
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:14 am

Steve, I was specifically talking about Push hands Competitions, not just "push hands" (which can be anything) - there are pretty standard and accepted rule sets for competitions

See, but that's the thing. Push hands is not a competition. It's not that "push hands" has stuff and "push hands competitions" don't. That's like saying that tennis has stuff that tennis competitions don't.

Push hands competitions are often exactly what you said: stand up grappling. And it's hard to tell the difference. My point was that "push hands" was not a competition. I seriously doubt that YLC or other fighters competed with other martial artist using push hands. I doubt there were ever "tcc" or "bg" or "xy" competitions, too. There were just martial arts competitions or fights.

I'm talking about the opposite of philosophy. A push hands competition takes a training exercise and turns it into a competition. I'm not against the result, btw. I know guys who compete in these tournaments who are good martial artists. My point was that they look like they're conforming to the rule set, whether it's called Push hands or grappling. Neither word defines what it is. It is what it is.

Can you show any different?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNXnxCpjUNM
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 am

I don't get the need to reinvent the wheel except for:

- private school high school students who are trying to "win" some obscure sport for their stupid college essay
- people who want some "cultural" experience or to advocate for (chinese in this case, but happens with sumo, etc., etc., too and ok that's cool I guess.) their culture.

otherwise why not just stick to the MOST popular grappling format competitions? the level of competitors is going to be much higher as a result, so you will learn much more. do judo, bjj, cross over those, the no gi ones, etc. why stick in your isolated bubble? your taijiquan should help you. if not, ugh. apologies to josh waitzkin i suppose. there is a third case apparently:

3. you were world champion in one thing and achieving "world champion" in something else helps your shtick. ::) 8-)
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 am

Considering the number of top end push hands champions that also study BJJ, I would agree.

Now if they allowed striking and throwing...it would be MMA...although probably not very good MMA. Because you know the "realz tehniquez iz two deadly." Huuuaaaah! Thumbs nose like Bruce Lee. Turns around and walks off. :P
Last edited by Peacedog on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:33 am

haha yeah. i think to be fair to josh, he earned his black belt under bjj under marcelo garcia, supposedly the pound for pound best grappler in the world (many results in open weight class despite being a small person)
everything
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:34 am

GrahamB wrote:I think push hands competitions are wrestling competitions with all the fun moves taken out.

Has anyone claimed anything else? :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Next

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan