Xinyi-Dao Introductory Seminar by Shifu Mark Li

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Xinyi-Dao Introductory Seminar by Shifu Mark Li

Postby marvin8 on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Posted by mark li on October 20th, 2018

Through this introductory seminar part 1, Shifu Mark Li explains the principles behind the Xinyi-Dao system, from the traditional training method to the modern fighting concept. How to develop the proper structure and power using Santi stance, including the six directional forces, proper body alignment. Then Shifu Mark Li explains why Santi stance is not a good fighting stance, and the modification from Santi stance into Six Harmony stance for practical applications:

https://www.xinyidaousa.com/xinyi-dao-i ... u-mark-li/

Posted by mark li on October 23rd, 2018

Through this introductory seminar part 2, Shifu Mark Li first shows a foundation training exercise to develop the body mechanics of the Xinyi-Dao system. Next, a demonstration of squatting monkey and moving squatting monkey exercise, and an explanation of the purpose of practicing this exercise, which is to develop a natural state of animalistic motion and animalistic instinct. Then, Shifu Mark Li shows some simple applications on how to apply the body mechanics of Xinyi-Dao in striking, explaining the reaction reflex, response time, and the mental process involved in fighting, and differential the body mechanics in Xinyi-Dao from the body mechanics / structure developed and utilized in internal martial arts:

marvin8
Wuji

Re: Xinyi-Dao Introductory Seminar by Shifu Mark Li

Postby middleway on Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:07 am

Thanks, I enjoyed his talks. He makes alot of sense.

But as an aside, you can see the impact of the practice in his posture with the Head postition slung forward etc when standing around talking. I always wondered what the impact of the Squatting monkey and the like would be on general balance of posture and i guess now we can see.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks. The 6 harmony stance appears to be a version of the Philly Shell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zv198S7RvQ
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 am

GrahamB wrote:Thanks. The 6 harmony stance appears to be a version of the Philly Shell:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zv198S7RvQ

Yeah, D_Glenn's shifu copies Floyd Mayweather Jr., too: :D

marvin8
Wuji

Postby edededed on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:22 pm

middleway wrote:Thanks, I enjoyed his talks. He makes alot of sense.

But as an aside, you can see the impact of the practice in his posture with the Head postition slung forward etc when standing around talking. I always wondered what the impact of the Squatting monkey and the like would be on general balance of posture and i guess now we can see.

Could be an individual thing - many other Dai stylists seem to have normal posture.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:18 pm

[quote="middleway"]Thanks, I enjoyed his talks. He makes alot of sense.

But as an aside, you can see the impact of the practice in his posture with the Head postition slung forward etc when standing around talking. I always wondered what the impact of the Squatting monkey and the like would be on general balance of posture and i guess now we can see.[/quote

I'd say it's his own idiosyncracy.

His father Li Tailiang and senior Kungfu uncle Yang Fangsheng have been practicing Xinyi for decades and they look fine.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:55 pm

middleway wrote:But as an aside, you can see the impact of the practice in his posture with the Head postition slung forward etc when standing around talking. I always wondered what the impact of the Squatting monkey and the like would be on general balance of posture and i guess now we can see.

Yeah I would not consider this to be a "result" (and certainly not "the result") of squatting monkey practice, especially since the squatting monkey exercise explicitly trains the "slumped" forward-head posture and it's exact opposite, full axial extension with the chin tucked.

"Posture" in normal life is often as much an expression of "character" (i.e. habit) as anything else. So it is quite possible that doing a lot of squatting monkey has contributed to him feeling comfortable standing like that. But again that doesn't imply that it would necessarily have that effect on anyone else.
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 pm

I wonder if there is more potential influence if you start training very young?

I met a Dai stylist in Japan long ago, he also had normal posture - but he trained Dai style after he was an adult.
Huo Yongli is a famous Dai stylist, I think he taught his daughter from a young age - I wonder how she turned out? :D
edededed
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:38 am

Yeah I would not consider this to be a "result" (and certainly not "the result") of squatting monkey practice, especially since the squatting monkey exercise explicitly trains the "slumped" forward-head posture and it's exact opposite, full axial extension with the chin tucked.

"Posture" in normal life is often as much an expression of "character" (i.e. habit) as anything else. So it is quite possible that doing a lot of squatting monkey has contributed to him feeling comfortable standing like that. But again that doesn't imply that it would necessarily have that effect on anyone else.

The point is well taken. the training does seem to bias the squat position more than the extension however where extension is applied in a less prolonged 'pop' in many cases. Of course I may be, and probably am, way off on this. It is just something that always wondered about when seeing these methods.

thanks.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Overlord on Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:59 am

marvin8 wrote:Posted by mark li on October 20th, 2018

Through this introductory seminar part 1, Shifu Mark Li explains the principles behind the Xinyi-Dao system, from the traditional training method to the modern fighting concept. How to develop the proper structure and power using Santi stance, including the six directional forces, proper body alignment. Then Shifu Mark Li explains why Santi stance is not a good fighting stance, and the modification from Santi stance into Six Harmony stance for practical applications:

Posted by mark li on October 23rd, 2018

Through this introductory seminar part 2, Shifu Mark Li first shows a foundation training exercise to develop the body mechanics of the Xinyi-Dao system. Next, a demonstration of squatting monkey and moving squatting monkey exercise, and an explanation of the purpose of practicing this exercise, which is to develop a natural state of animalistic motion and animalistic instinct. Then, Shifu Mark Li shows some simple applications on how to apply the body mechanics of Xinyi-Dao in striking, explaining the reaction reflex, response time, and the mental process involved in fighting, and differential the body mechanics in Xinyi-Dao from the body mechanics / structure developed and utilized in internal martial arts:

六合式 was not designed like that~ it is an internal exercise.

If you try to block kick like that your wrist is in for a treat.
If you try to block 1~2 with that you are in for a KO.

Why because you respond too late~
Santi hand is place with distance so you have time to respond, or distract opponent attack.

If someone big enough to exert force pushing his back down from above, he may injure thoracic spines with posture like that! It’s like weight lifting in this posture....
Last edited by Overlord on Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Return to Video Links