Can new people join here?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Can new people join here?

Postby GrahamB on Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:49 am

I was just thinking how there don't seem to be many new people here... then somebody told me they tried to join and it didn't work... can new people actually register on rsf? How would we know if they can't? Is it broken?
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Can new people join here?

Postby klonk on Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:12 pm

Interesting! I've noticed that a lot of people on here are long timers, to the point that I can sometimes guess what sorts of approaches they are going to take on a question at hand, which is by no means a bad thing: It tends toward deeper insights being shared.

But I think fresh voices would be to the good, if we make it a rule that yiquan lineage wars are BTDT forever. :D
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:27 pm

My feelings on this are as follows.

A board of this age has covered pretty much every interesting topic that a beginner may have in their mind. Unfortunately IMO, this means it's become more about wars of ideas and pissing contests than fruitful discussion or attempted dialog where all parties grow a little from the experience. Those days seem to be largely over.

This environment means that when new people do join and start a discussion, especially if they are beginners, they are usually met with 'we discussed this years ago use the search function'.

I stick around for the few little interesting bits and the new videos that crop up from time to time.

But the people I have spoken too who thought about joining also highlighted the above.

Thanks
Chris
Last edited by middleway on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Bao on Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:53 pm

From what I can see, there are new people joining and there are still many visitors and lurkers. Remember that this is an old school discussion board. Most MA boards are gone so it's rather amazing that so many are still gathering here. Yeah it's a nice place and hopefully it will attract new people as well. But I suspect that sometimes the RSF can look very much like a closed community and that it could feel hard to know if there is a place for them here. I felt very much like an outsider a long time before getting comfortable writing on the original EF board. But at one point I just stopped caring about what others thought....

But sure, there might be technical problems. Different browsers have had different problems, so if people can't register maybe you can ask them to test with another browser or OP system?
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:01 pm

New people are fine
I think it would be a good idea to get new people to put a more in depth summary of their training history
One thing that would be helpful is when the list several arts and years
It would be interesting to know if they trained them at the same time or one after another
Do they still train them
Do they have a teacher and if so who
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:50 am

Don’t know if that’s a good idea, might keep even more people away(If people really are kept away by not being able to join) One big reason there’s not a steady new membership registration is Probably because CIMA’s is not in vogue anymore.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:59 am

It is what it is. People come and go. Martial arts bulletin boards may be replaced by blogs, vlogs, Youtube, and other forms of social media where comments are allowed. At least, younger martial artists are more interested in combat sports.

Out of sight; out of mind.
Familiarity breeds contempt.
Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:43 am

Get off my lawn!!!!
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:37 am

I guess if people want to keep their histories vague that's the way it's meant to be
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Kelley Graham on Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:22 pm

this site is great! expertise, depth, humor, searchable archives. no ads.
Kelley Graham
Website - https://ucbprogram.com
Follow - https://ucb.social/@imklg
Kelley Graham
Administrator

Postby GrahamB on Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:20 am

Ha - this thread was supposed to be about a technical issue - does registering still work?- but I see we've decided to go on a soul searching episode instead, which is fine too :)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:53 am

Technical - too external!
Trick

Postby Trick on Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:07 am

wayne hansen wrote:I guess if people want to keep their histories vague that's the way it's meant to be

Couple of days ago I thought of an idea that everyone should put up a vid of themselves doing some of the exercises they claim to be doing - a form for example. But then in that instant I thought, no that would be to much to ask for……… Anyway if one want to know more in depth about someone’s background, then just ask that someone?
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:38 am

In the past when I have people have been very touchie
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:56 am

It's "touchy" Wayne.

TOUCHY!

T - O - U - C - H - Y!!!!!