Can Shaolin Monks actually Fight?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Can Shaolin Monks actually Fight?

Postby marvin8 on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Ramsey Dewey
Published on Dec 18, 2018

Dr. Antonio Graceffo, a mixed martial artist who lived and trained at the Shaolin temple, drops a truth bomb on the mystique of the fighting prowess of the legendary Shaolin monks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjzGSOf8a74
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Can Shaolin Monks actually Fight?

Postby roger hao on Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:59 am

Kwai Chang Caine could.
roger hao

Postby Strange on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:00 pm

not sure about that
but the chinese government sure can detain canadians
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby wiesiek on Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:25 am

hmm
dr Antonio looks pretty nervous , why?
1st time speakin` public? ;)
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:29 am

Shaolin temple might have produced fighting monks centuries ago, but all the modern ones (post-WW2) are, IMO, phonies.

Also, Chinese government persecuted and got rid of almost all of the Shaolin monks during Cultural Revolution. It wasn't until Jet Li's blockbuster movie came out in the early 80s when they realized there was a lot of money that could be made by capitalizing on the Shaolin fame, and re-opened the temple as a tourist trap by asking people from the local Wushu schools to shave their heads, dress up like monks, and perform various Wushu stunts.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:43 am

As I remember reading somewhere, Wang Xiangzhai during his travels of research found that the Xingyiba at the Shaolin was basically “extinct”, from the monk at the temple he learned that the method was basically lost, the monk could show one or two fists and Wang was not impressed. Doshin So(spelling?) the founder of Shorinji Kempo(Shaolin fist way) seemingly learned from the same monk as Wang had been in contact with, he combined those few fists with Daitō-ryū to form his MA.………(about if it was the same Monk, don’t ask me for sources. I was on two very separate occasions reading about Shorinji Kempo and then YiQuan, and rembered the same name of a Shaolin monk came up. So it could very well be two different monks with same name, but also it could be the same monk)
Trick

Postby Overlord on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:39 pm

Trick wrote:As I remember reading somewhere, Wang Xiangzhai during his travels of research found that the Xingyiba at the Shaolin was basically “extinct”, from the monk at the temple he learned that the method was basically lost, the monk could show one or two fists and Wang was not impressed. Doshin So(spelling?) the founder of Shorinji Kempo(Shaolin fist way) seemingly learned from the same monk as Wang had been in contact with, he combined those few fists with Daitō-ryū to form his MA.………(about if it was the same Monk, don’t ask me for sources. I was on two very separate occasions reading about Shorinji Kempo and then YiQuan, and rembered the same name of a Shaolin monk came up. So it could very well be two different monks with same name, but also it could be the same monk)

It’s suspected Heng Lin 恆林~
However, I am not sure if Heng Lin was still alive when Doshin visited.
Overlord

Postby salcanzonieri on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:13 pm

and there are lots more. And there are other fighting monks besides Yi Long (in Germany there are a few I have seen)
salcanzonieri
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:44 pm

I'm pretty sure that's the fake Monk and fixed fights they refer to during the interview
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:48 pm

He is supposedly "self-taught".

Still, doesn't answer the question about the monks plural. Presumably, becoming a monk is mainly done for other, altruistic reasons.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:48 pm

He is supposedly "self-taught".

Still, doesn't answer the question about the monks plural. Presumably, becoming a monk is mainly done for other, altruistic reasons.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wiesiek on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:37 am

I don`t know how really shaolin training looks like today,
/some of our board members knows, so they may chime in/
however, they looks pretty fit when judging from shows/demos.
I suppose, that if not, they will be able in short time if needed.
Joyful Fruits of the Live
wiesiek
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:52 am

Imo, where's he's absolutely right is 1) the "dark place" and the willingness or reason to do damage to another human being, and 2) the need to take punishment beforehand. If that wasn't part of the training, it had to be part of the fighting if one continues. Number two provides an incentive for number one. :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Return to Video Links