really excellent, really generous baji channel

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

really excellent, really generous baji channel

Postby vagabond on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:08 pm

vagabond
Huajing

Re: really excellent, really generous baji channel

Postby C.J.W. on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Not bad. But I personally prefer these guys' work.

C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby vagabond on Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:17 pm

Not bad. But I personally prefer these guys' work.

yea, i love their clear and accessible breakdowns. thanks cjw, great talk
vagabond
Huajing

Postby Overlord on Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:55 pm

vagabond wrote:

The beginning pose was called 作揖式 Etiquette pose but it is actually 捉衣式 grasping clothes pose⋯
Because Baji was started with strong wrestling influences and then transformed into striker flavor over generations ~
This move is actually the beginning of Tiger climb mountain 猛虎硬爬山

And no, the first punch can be solid with second elbow solid as well
Overlord

Postby vagabond on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:23 am

overlord, that's really cool to know. is there anyone on youtube you like who shows the shuai aspect of baji really well? (liu baochun's couple of clips got me pretty stoked but there's not very much of it)

and yea, i wondered about that. it seems like there's a strong san da influence with these guys and i think that's toootally fine; but i showed a youtubes to my (muay thai) roommate the other day to give an idea of traditional cma flavor and he was into it but the first thing he said was "clearly he's boxed". an it's like yea, anyone who's anyone has boxed but the asking what kf might have looked like before western boxing is kind of like asking what boxing looked like before queens rules, how do we answer?
vagabond
Huajing

Postby Overlord on Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:45 am

vagabond wrote:overlord, that's really cool to know. is there anyone on youtube you like who shows the shuai aspect of baji really well? (liu baochun's couple of clips got me pretty stoked but there's not very much of it)

and yea, i wondered about that. it seems like there's a strong san da influence with these guys and i think that's toootally fine; but i showed a youtubes to my (muay thai) roommate the other day to give an idea of traditional cma flavor and he was into it but the first thing he said was "clearly he's boxed". an it's like yea, anyone who's anyone has boxed but the asking what kf might have looked like before western boxing is kind of like asking what boxing looked like before queens rules, how do we answer?

Hi Vagabond

Because your question is very specific, I need to verify few things so we are on the same page.
Had you learnt Baji before, lineage and teacher?
Cheers,
Overlord

Postby vagabond on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:19 am

none to speak of, i'd like to make it happen one day. if you're not into giving away secrets i respect that
vagabond
Huajing

Postby Overlord on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:32 pm

It’s bit hard to explain if you had never done Baji before, not so much as secret per se.

Not excellent, but very good already.
Last edited by Overlord on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Overlord

Postby vagabond on Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:48 am

Overlord, thank you. I'll chew on that and see what I can make of it. Happy new year
vagabond
Huajing

Postby C.J.W. on Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Overlord wrote:The beginning pose was called 作揖式 Etiquette pose but it is actually 捉衣式 grasping clothes pose⋯
Because Baji was started with strong wrestling influences and then transformed into striker flavor over generations ~
This move is actually the beginning of Tiger climb mountain 猛虎硬爬山

And no, the first punch can be solid with second elbow solid as well

Not surprised to hear that at all.

Actually Northern Shaolin styles (Long Fist, Tantui, etc) with punching techniques that involve withdrawing one hand to the waist were all meant to be grappling moves as well. (People who say that Northern Shaolin punches are ineffective are, for the most part, misguided and have not seen how they are actually applied.)

C.J.W.
Wuji

Return to Video Links