Dantien training

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Dantien training

Postby littlepanda on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:58 am

Can somebody explain to me how is the dantien being trained here .. thanks in advance

littlepanda
Anjing

Re: Dantien training

Postby Bao on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:10 am

Wow, he really got everything messed up. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby charles on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:40 am

littlepanda wrote:Can somebody explain to me how is the dantien being trained here ..

In this video? No, it's mostly 8 minutes of a guy exercising his vocal chords while saying little that is meaningful. I find it frustrating that there is so much "instruction" that is like this.

In some traditions, moving the "dan tian" forward and back - sometimes stated as moving "qi" to the front and "qi" to the back - is a valid and important practice. One entry level way of approaching that is to stand with your back against a wall and flatten your lower back until you've removed the curvature in your lower back and it touches the wall behind you. That's "qi to the back". Relax the action, allowing the abdomen to naturally protrude forward, and that's "qi to the front". This mechanism is what Chen Xiaowang labels as "Technique Number 2", moving the dan tian forward and back. There are a variety of exercises that train this mechanism. It is a basis for what the Yang style "Classics" reference as "releasing like an arrow from a bow".
Last edited by charles on Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby littlepanda on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:18 am

Charles,

Your description makes much more sense..thanks
littlepanda
Anjing

Postby charles on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:17 pm

I intended to also mention that moving the dan tian forward and back and up and down, in a sequence, creates an circular action. This action can be used in conjunction with the macrocosmic orbit. However, contrary to what the video stated, moving the dan tian forward and back (or in a circular action) is not the macrocosmic orbit.
Last edited by charles on Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:08 pm

In very very broad layman's terms, dantien training is about developing fine-tuned and conscious control over the muscles in the abdominal area that, when properly trained and utilized, adds balance, speed, and power.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby aiasthewall on Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:06 pm

What's weird is sometimes he says stuff that jives with what I've been exposed to...and then he actually does something entirely different.
aiasthewall
Anjing

Return to Video Links