Hakka Kung Fu - Liu Jia Jiao

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Hakka Kung Fu - Liu Jia Jiao

Postby chenyaolong on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:34 pm

chenyaolong
Wuji

Re: Hakka Kung Fu - Liu Jia Jiao

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:05 am

Very cool. Hakka boxing is a huge family that contains many arts with distinct flavors. This style is also quite different from the other Hakka systems I've seen in Taiwan.

Here's another interesting Hakka style I recently found on Youtube called Unicorn boxing. The hand methods and techniques are quite similar to Indonesian and Malay Silat/Kuntao.

C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:23 am

C.J.W. wrote:Very cool. Hakka boxing is a huge family that contains many arts with distinct flavors. This style is also quite different from the other Hakka systems I've seen in Taiwan.

Here's another interesting Hakka style I recently found on Youtube called Unicorn boxing. The hand methods and techniques are quite similar to Indonesian and Malay Silat/Kuntao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw58XWfFVZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czn4E8jgcR0

Good stuff, thanks for sharing!

On a related note, I notice that the tactics is mostly to get to the opponent's body between his hands and then attack from inside. From my experience it can usually be a winning strategy for a smaller person against a bigger one. Does it have to do with some history of Hakka arts, some sociocultural aspects, maybe? Were they smaller than the local southern Han anthropometrically when they arrived?
HotSoup
Anjing

Postby C.J.W. on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:07 pm

I'd say it has more to do with Hakka history than body size.

Hakka ('the guest family/group') people traveled around and migrated throughout various parts of China for centuries -- not unlike the Gypsies. Since they were always considered outsiders wherever they went, being able to defend themselves from the locals who were often hostiles toward them naturally became a priority. It's also the reason why Hakka arts can be very diverse in terms of forms and techniques, as they have been influenced by the martial arts of various regions of China. Some prefer using tight, small hand techniques with compact postures typically found in southern styles (e.g., Hakka Mantis), while others make use of extended kicks and punches similar to the ones in northern styles.

Here's a couple of demos of "Hakka vagrant boxing" from Taiwan that contains characteristics of both northern and southern styles. This school is known for producing tough fighters. The kicks, throws, and punches of the system are surprisingly similar to the ones commonly used in Sanda, and have been incorporated into Taiwan's special forces training regimen.

P.S. I was there when they shot this video back in....2007 I believe.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby Subitai on Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:11 pm

chenyaolong wrote:

Very interesting video thanks for posting...

1) I found the most interesting parts (for me) began when the younger man showed the form at ~ 5:17sec I assume that is their Lau Gar Gow?

What is interesting about this form is how much it resembles forms that have been added into popular well known lineages of Hung Gar Kyun style.

Forms like Moi Fah Kyun (Plum Flower Fist) move very similar and also the pattern framework or the choreography. Same box like floor pattern and direction.

We even (also have) a form called Lau Gar Kyun (Lau Family Fist) as well.

2) ...and the discussion that followed until about 8:50sec

"Northern feet and Southern hands" have always been a well known saying...but I had never really heard of Mountains as being an excuse for closer stances.... Such a stance comes to mind as the Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma. (2 character lift sheep horse :) ) haha...or lift Gonads... AKA as triangle stance. You get the picture.

Most people usually say that people down south were smaller and practiced in more cramped areas or that they practiced on boats or in rice fields...those being reasons for shorter stances i.e.

But yeah I never heard of mountains before, I guess that qualifies as being cramped for good space.

==================================================================
chenyaolong, I mention these because there is another style of that is in the same vien of Hung Gar that is supposed to be practiced called Ha Say Fu.

“Ha say Fu is not actually the style name however, it is a facilitation of the meaning for modern use. H.S.F., or Lower Four Counties, refers to a region in the Fujian province located south of the capitol city of Fuzhou. It also includes Quanzhou, Zhangzhou and Yong’an. It was the martial arts practiced in this region and is simply known as Hung Kuen.”

= It's very interesting...the evolution of kung fu families and such. :)
Subitai
Huajing

Postby Bill on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:35 pm

HotSoup wrote: On a related note, I notice that the tactics is mostly to get to the opponent's body between his hands and then attack from inside.

Perhaps that is for public consumption. I find these arts are concerned with weapons so they tend to stay outside the opponents hands when fighting.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Return to Video Links