casual 5 elements video

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: casual 5 elements video

Postby Wanderingdragon on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:23 am

Wushutiger, cool, my living rooms not that big, always scared I’m gonna break something. Where’d you get the black horse hair ?
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby wushutiger on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 pm

In Beijing where I live. I also have some nice white yak hair
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby xingyijesse on Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Of course you do. Who doesn't have random mammal hair/fur laying around to make unique and niche spear tassles with???
xingyijesse
Santi

Postby everything on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:11 pm

hey man it was perfect for what I was trying to do! which is just pick up some household objects and try out 5 elements as a beginner.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby xingyijesse on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm glad it was helpful! Lol It's been a long time since I played around with a spear, never put much time into them
xingyijesse
Santi

Postby Subitai on Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 pm

Spear is just fencing with 2 handed weapon... when you're at a distance. I learned allot similar to what the woman in C.J.W. video is saying. But I spend most of my time (when doing Spear at all these days) doing the Large frame moves. I.e. From basic position, Lift - wrap or Knock to the side - press or beat down and pierce or thrust. The basic spear "Wrap" it's sometimes called is a better workout when done with a bigger and heavier spear.

* I like how her rear hand holds the back end close to the torso...this is true. She talks about the front hand but the back it very important too. "Ding Sao" (crappy spelling ok) but it's basically "Stay put - hand" or "keep it there" It's a basic for CMA, the longer the weapon the closer you keep to your body, the shorter the more you reach out. Not in all instances but very common.

For the thrust = What she didn't mention his how her rear hand holds the BUTT end and how you grabb it to thrust, partly bracing with the palm of your hand to help push the spear into the target.

* Spear is supposed to be king of battlefield weapons but IMO it's because of the footwork as well. You have to keep in the best distance to maximize the strength of the spear. Soon as your opponent closes the gap inside your range or grabs or entangles your spear...it's whole lot of other basics that come into play. The Fancy moves and the smaller moves are great when your opponent keeps his distance and decides to straight ONLY fence with you. But learning what to do if your weapon is grappled with also really important IMO.

We have Knife and shield (Darn Do Dit) vs Spear (Qiang) ...which was a common match up. Both have pluses and minuses and if you lose your strengths it shows.
Subitai
Huajing

Postby wushutiger on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:50 am

Personally I feel there are alot of over looked and left out things, in short she offers pi mao. The old instruction is actually that the shaft should be tight on the abdomen, without the ability to even pull a piece of paper out of it is between the shaft and the abdomen.
wushutiger
Wuji

Postby Fa Xing on Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:23 am

wushutiger wrote:Personally I feel there are alot of over looked and left out things, in short she offers pi mao. The old instruction is actually that the shaft should be tight on the abdomen, without the ability to even pull a piece of paper out of it is between the shaft and the abdomen.

I haven't study a lot of spear technique, maybe about an hour or two over a couple sessions, but when I did with Jason Tsou who learned Baji from Liu Yunqiao, that is exactly how I was taught.
Dr. Troy Schott
Doctor of Chiropractic
Lead Instructor, Ground Dragon Martial Arts
https://grounddragonma.com/
Fa Xing
Anjing

Previous

Return to Video Links