String Theory & OFF BALANCE Your Oponent — Maul Mornie

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

String Theory & OFF BALANCE Your Oponent — Maul Mornie

Postby marvin8 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:14 am

World of Martial Arts Television
Premiered Feb 28, 2019

WHAT is STRING THEORY in BASIC ADVANCED SILAT?

MAUL MORNIE explains the PRINCIPLE of STRING THEORY in martial arts. Perfect for a BEGINNER and the ADVANCED Student. It's not a duelling art, it's not a sport, it is all about SURVIVAL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7DJKav7fZI

World of Martial Arts Television
Premiered Feb 7, 2019

HOW TO OFF BALANCE Your Opponent Pt 1 & 2 BASIC ADVANCED SILAT Suffian Maul Mornie

The awesome MAUL MORNIE shows HOW TO OFF BALANCE Your opponent in SILAT for a BEGINNER and the ADVANCED Student. It's not a duelling art, it's not a sport, it is all about SURVIVAL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPbN6OpZzsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyjps1O-AgI
marvin8
Wuji

Re: String Theory & OFF BALANCE Your Oponent — Maul Mornie

Postby GrahamB on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:40 am

Damnit. I thought this was going to be about quantum mechanics.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:06 am

Agree in general about keeping track of and adjust distance. But against a knife maintaining punching distance feels a bit off. :-\

Off balancing was a bit different... Off balance by hitting. Punching the opponent seems to be the important method here. Would rather call just call that “hitting the guy.” He will obviously be off balance if he gets hit.
Last edited by Bao on Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Tiga Pukul on Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:48 am

As a Silat practitioner i agree with Bao. Keeping the same distance is good, but maintaining punching distance with a knife feels indeed off...
The strength of Maul Mornie is his clear display of technique, it's easy to copy and work with and he explains it well.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby Greg J on Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Hmmm...

No disrespect intended, but the only advantage to keeping the same distance that I can see would be for cooperative drilling.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby Bao on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:11 pm

Greg J wrote:Hmmm...

No disrespect intended, but the only advantage to keeping the same distance that I can see would be for cooperative drilling.

Best,
Greg

It's very useful to practice in free push hands and sparring IME. But the point of this practice, from my own perspective, is not really to always keep the same distance, but more to develop a sense of distance and a way to measure distance. First when you position yourself to a distance and angle that you yourself find favourable, you try to lock this distance and keep it. You might want to lock yourself inside the opponent's comfort or outside kicking range, obviously it always depends on situation. But you should always try to be in a position and range that is not favourable for your opponent.
Last edited by Bao on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Tiga Pukul on Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:41 am

Keeping the same distance is a bit misleading. Soon as you enter a confrontation that is on a specific distance and can be further away, but first thing we do is move in on one distance and try to stick to that. It's a specific tactic but works for us. If one guys prefers to stay at let's say kicking range...i don't stay at that range.
If he prefers grappling range i still move in on the same range i work with, offcourse with caution. Same with long or short range weapons.

As the late Pendekar Paul de Thouars used to quote: 'enter into the heart of the danger'. He didn't mean sometimes, he meant all the time.

Your opponent doesn't decide what range to fight in, I try to control the situation so i work in that range and don't adapt to someone else, I play my own game.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby Greg J on Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks Bao and Tiga Pukul for the thoughtful replies. What you both said makes a lot of sense.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby zrm on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:30 pm

Bao wrote:Agree in general about keeping track of and adjust distance. But against a knife maintaining punching distance feels a bit off. :-\

Off balancing was a bit different... Off balance by hitting. Punching the opponent seems to be the important method here. Would rather call just call that “hitting the guy.” He will obviously be off balance if he gets hit.

My understanding (I could be wrong) is that the empty hand techniques in silat are a direct extension of the knife techniques. It operates under the assumption that any empty hand could actually be holding a hidden blade or can reach a blade at any time during an encounter. So they are really drilling knife on knife and keeping that distance, rather than empty hand on knife, despite what is shown.

Striking to off balance as a set up for following strikes, rather than striking to directly harm is something that is not explored enough, imo.
zrm
Huajing

Postby Tiga Pukul on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:11 am

zrm wrote:
Bao wrote:Agree in general about keeping track of and adjust distance. But against a knife maintaining punching distance feels a bit off. :-\

My understanding (I could be wrong) is that the empty hand techniques in silat are a direct extension of the knife techniques. It operates under the assumption that any empty hand could actually be holding a hidden blade or can reach a blade at any time during an encounter. So they are really drilling knife on knife and keeping that distance, rather than empty hand on knife, despite what is shown.

Striking to off balance as a set up for following strikes, rather than striking to directly harm is something that is not explored enough, imo.

Hmmm well that is a VERY general statement on Silat. That's a bit like saying KungFu is always fighting on long distance and low stances.
The 'Silat' unarmed is a direct extension of knife techniques is one of the bigger misconceptions on a lot of the Silat styles. That has also partly to do with the JKD crowd that uses Silat as an addon-system to learn sweeps instead of learning a complete Silat system. Basically the majority of the american JKD crowd have just had experience with the Dan Inosanto type of silat which is basically a mix'n'match of Bukti Negara, Mande Muda and some more thrown in.

Also often put is that silat is very similar to kali because they have the same 'unarmed as extension of knife or vice versa'. In my Silat experience it's actually often quite the opposite. In Kali you start learning weapons and from there work on the unarmed part as well, whilst in a lot of Silat systems you first learn unarmed combat and when you are well versed in that, you learn working with the weapons as well, using the same principles, i think similar in a way to a lot of kungfu systems.
Tiga Pukul
Huajing

Postby middleway on Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:51 am

Maintaining arm distance with an opponent is extremely hard. I would like to understand how the concept can be translated to someone applying constant forward pressure rather than a single punch as shown.

I have seen a number of occasions in real fights where one person basically ran over the other with punches pretty much the same as seen below.

"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:43 am

middleway wrote:Maintaining arm distance with an opponent is extremely hard. I would like to understand how the concept can be translated to someone applying constant forward pressure rather than a single punch as shown.

I have seen a number of occasions in real fights where one person basically ran over the other with punches pretty much the same as seen below.

Well, Maul does move at an angle every time the opponent moves. Anderson moves different from Wanderlei here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe06LNQnY3o

This is a common problem seen in IMA vs MMA (e.g., Xu vs Wei). Maybe due to those who say "move in, fight in one range, one only needs to train in one range, opponent moves first," etc.

Or "heavy bag is only for developing power and hit hard. It's for conditioning." No. It is also to train moving with a moving object. Master Wai-lun Choi, "Don't let the heavy bag hit you! Use it to test your structure."
marvin8
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:13 am

Mornie has stated in some of his videos that the particular Bruneian Silat style he practices was taught to noblemen and focused on striking and unbalancing moves. The goal was to end a confrontation quickly with finesse while making as little physical contact (i.e., no grappling) with the opponent as possible -- as not to dirty their clothes or lose composure. So rather than moving in deep, he prefers to keep the opponent at arms' length and get the job done mainly by unbalancing and hitting.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:45 am

Bao wrote:Off balancing was a bit different... Off balance by hitting. Punching the opponent seems to be the important method here. Would rather call just call that “hitting the guy.” He will obviously be off balance if he gets hit.

The method is more to get opponent to react, read/anticipate the opponent's reactions and move in position to counter the reaction(s). Sweep opponent's leg in the opposite direction of where his upper body is moving. Stay a step ahead of opponent and constantly off balanced or at least out of position.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:08 am

marvin8 wrote:
Bao wrote:Off balancing was a bit different... Off balance by hitting. Punching the opponent seems to be the important method here. Would rather call just call that “hitting the guy.” He will obviously be off balance if he gets hit.

The method is more to get opponent to react, read/anticipate the opponent's reactions and move in position to counter the reaction(s). Sweep opponent's leg in the opposite direction of where his upper body is moving. Stay a step ahead of opponent and constantly off balanced or at least out of position.

that sounds as tactic an taiji guy would understand
Trick

Next

Return to Video Links