"Chiao Chang-Hung" / Chinese name (characters)

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: "Chiao Chang-Hung" / Chinese name (characters)

Postby Mr_Wood on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Nicked this from another site but gives some insight into why he was regarded so highly

CHINESE TAI CHI CHUAN CLUB

Many famous martial artists were among the refuges and members of the nationalist government that retreated to Taiwan ahead of advancing communist forces in 1949. In order to preserve their martial arts traditions, a martial arts association was formed, a founding member was Grand Master Chiao Chang Hung. Initiated by National assembly member Chen Pan Ling (A famous martial artist who was the chief instructor at the government established Central Martial Arts Institute in Nanking on the mainland.) two of the members of the martial arts association, old friends and Tai chi chuan brothers Grand Master Chiao Chang Hung and Master Wang Yen Nien , decided to form a tai chi club. The club was formally established on March, 27 1960 as the Chinese Tai Chi Chuan Club. Chen Pan Ling himself served as the club’s chief commissioner, Grand Master Chiao Chang Hung as director and Wang Yen Nien as head coach. Regular members included such greats as Cheng Men Ching, Kuo Lien Yin, Hsiung Yang Ho and many others. As the club grew and became more organized, 1n 1963 it became the Tai Chi Chuan Academic Research Committee. In 1966 the committee decided to become independent of the Martial art Federation and on nov. 5th 1966 it became the Chinese Tai Chi Chuan Academic Research Society. Grand Master Chiao served as a director until 1975 when the society was incorporated into the ROC Sports Association and changed it’s name to the ROC Tai Chi Chuan Association, and later to the ROC Tai Chi Chuan Federation which it remains today as the governing body of Tai Chi Chuan in the Republic of China. Members of these groups, especially the early incarnations were instrumental in spreading Tai Chi Chuan around the globe and principally in the United States. Grand Master Chiao Chang Hung was one of the giants of that generation and a founding father of Tai Chi Chuan in Taiwan,ROC.
Last edited by Mr_Wood on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sky will punish you
Mr_Wood
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:53 pm

http://grandmasterchiao.com

It looks like an English version of Chiao's book is scheduled for release soon. Considering this is the source for much of Mantak Chia's stuff on iron vest and for the bone marrow washing section of YJM's Muscle Change Classic, it might be of interest to those interested in neigong, iron vest,etc.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:33 pm

I’m just repeating the story relayed to me (some members of rsf would likely know more details), story goes that Mantak Chia was somehow an acquaintance of Chiao, possibly a prospective student, who convinced Chiao to let him borrow his handwritten manual/ quanpu for one night. He went and photocopied every page and returned it to him the next day. Chiao’s friends and actual students were outraged and had to tell Chiao about the invention and existence of ‘copy machines’.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby Formosa Neijia on Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:43 pm

D_Glenn wrote:I’m just repeating the story relayed to me (some members of rsf would likely know more details), story goes that Mantak Chia was somehow an acquaintance of Chiao, possibly a prospective student, who convinced Chiao to let him borrow his handwritten manual/ quanpu for one night. He went and photocopied every page and returned it to him the next day. Chiao’s friends and actual students were outraged and had to tell Chiao about the invention and existence of ‘copy machines’..

Possibly but i find it highly unlikely. Chiao's books were openly printed and publicly available for years, at least as far as i can tell. Here they are now: https://find.ruten.com.tw/s/?q=喬長虹

He even made a publicly available video that was linked in the discussion above.

I've never heard of any connection between Chia and Chiao. Instead I heard that the Chinese kungfu community of Thailand, Malaysia, and other SE Asia countries loved Chiao's material and secretly used it for years. Great, that's likely what Chiao wanted. Chia's Bone Marrow and Iron Vest books are definitely based on Chiao's material. Frankly if Chia and YJM hadn't written their books much of Chiao's material would be virtually unknown today.

If anyone has more detail,I'd love to hear it.
Time to put the QUAN back in taijiQUAN. Time to put the YANG back in YANG style taiji.
Formosa Neijia
Great Old One

Postby D_Glenn on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:04 am

It could just be a case of wanting to cut down a person who was gaining fame and fortune. But the dubious story of Yi Eng, a hermit living in the mountains outside of HK, the date of publication of Mantak’s first book. It’s the stuff that lends some credence to a conspiracy.

D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:14 am

Good to see Karl Gao get a mention
Anyone know if he is teaching much martial arts these days
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Franklin on Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:40 am

wayne hansen wrote:Good to see Karl Gao get a mention
Anyone know if he is teaching much martial arts these days

You can contact him through his website:
http://www.xisuigong.com/

I met one of his students about 12 years ago that came to visit in Los Angeles...

and I remember seeing some pictures with him and his disciples on the web...

Franklin
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby Martin on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 am

Who was the American chap who swung a woman off a roof, attached to his nuts? I seem to recall a video a while back... James McNeil?
Martin
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:33 am

James McNeil is probably the leading practitioner of this method in the US. He is legit and his stuff works.

The testosterone raising effects of the practice are worth doing it if nothing else. In middle aged men it can double to triple testosterone levels. In young men the results resemble a low dose of Anavar. I can only recommend McNeil as an instructor though as injuries are common if the practice is miss applied.

What I can say outside that, is that there are some super-jacked purveyors of bodyweight and "not barbell based training" out there that are practitioners of this method. They advertise their exercise systems as the source of their "amazing fitness" when in fact it's the shih shui gung. I wouldn't quite say they are lying. It is just that you will never get their results from just doing their exercise system.

Also regarding Chia and YJM, they are known for having others write books for them on specific material and publishing it as their own. I've known people who were approached by both organizations.
Last edited by Peacedog on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Does this "xisuigong" have anything to do with the "xisuijing?" Or just coincidence?

(I can't imagine Bodhidharma practicing weights on his...)
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Ed,

I can't say. I've only ever seen it Anglicized as "shih shui gung" and "xisuigong."

Everyone I've ever met who practiced this came from a southern Chinese martial/meditative lineage. So, my guess is that its been around awhile.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:29 pm

:D Is there a beginner's method for it? I am not really ready to hang anything off my junk, but I am curious how the method is supposed to work (to increase testosterone, etc.).
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:13 am

Chia's book shows the basic method. FYI, I've known a lot of people who have been injured doing this. I wouldn't practice it without training from McNeil or someone certified by him. His two week course is $3500 last time I checked.

As for the endocrine system effects, I basically think it comes form forcing more blood into the testicles. It's not very complicated. Some of McNeil's guys have actually posted results from testosterone labs online. You could look around for them. It seems to take about a year of regular practice to reach the peak effect. It'll also add at least an inch and some serious girth to the gland as well. Everyone doing this reports that.

I think Meeks mentioned sometime in the past that he knew people who had trained in this. You could drop him a PM.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks - interesting stuff. Not sure what the benefit of a longer and thicker scrotum is, but... ;D

I'll try asking Meeks, too.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:27 pm

weird things they do to be chuffed to the bollocks
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan