The electoral college issue we forgot

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: The electoral college issue we forgot

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Never said that there's a location requirement posting, in fact I strongly believe that there isn't one when the right wingers here try to shut down Brits from posting about the US. Anyone who would watch the above conspiracy theory video obviously has no life and no clue. We are having a real discussion about what is really happening in this country not fantasies about aliens taking over the planet to lock us up in a basement of a pizza parlor on family night and no entertainment interludes are necessary.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:22 pm

Peacedog wrote:First rule of politics, never piss off the power brokers unless you hold "the one ring"...

That is exactly everything wrong with our politics.

The reason why people feel the need "to make America great again" is because our politicians our are bought and sold by the corporations and corporations are running the country not the citizens.

Maybe if people had the guts to stand up to these people this would be a great place for everyone.

But instead we get this from the article I just posted in shooting of the week.

So conservatives turn to other means to soothe their anxiety. Some project their own anger onto others, fantasizing that people of color, immigrants, and feminists are the cause of their own inner torments. Anger, if nothing else, makes them feel bigger and more powerful.

So much fear over AOC...
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:48 pm

Actually the power brokers in this case are Nancy Pelosi and the other DNC bosses.

Occluded-Cortex is a first term congresswoman. It may be her only term if she keeps acting like a complete fruitcake. Especially if she keeps provoking the people in charge of her party.

Annoying the people who decide the shape of your congressional district is dumb. It is the one trump card, haha, that the party has over everyone in the House. And they will use it.

This ten watt bulb in a 100 watt socket can't seem to keep in mind that she is a member of the Democratic Party. And the party decides who gets to be a member of their party. It is how parties work. You both have to want to be a member and the club gets to decide if they will let you in. The part also decides if you get to stay. If OC is so unhappy with the party she could run as an independent or third party candidate.

Nothing nefarious, or shady, is going on here.

You simply have a spoiled child who conned her constituency into electing her by promising "frea stuuf 4 life". Not that she personally has any ability to provide that. Like most spoiled children she doesn't realize the world is not about her. The senior party members are concerned with keeping the party in power, not the whims of a slightly photogenic and dimwitted barista. That reality is about to be imposed from above.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:55 pm

You know what's funny about that?

I think you and AOC agree about the DNC which is why she is ran.

I will take a first term congresswomen who actually held down a job than a draft dodging zero experience one term president who has never done a day of work in his life (who runs around the world kissing up to Putin and Kim) and only got to where he is because of his rich daddy.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Michael on Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:31 pm

grzegorz wrote:Never said that there's a location requirement posting, in fact I strongly believe that there isn't one when the right wingers here try to shut down Brits from posting about the US. Anyone who would watch the above conspiracy theory video obviously has no life and no clue. We are having a real discussion about what is really happening in this country not fantasies about aliens taking over the planet to lock us up in a basement of a pizza parlor on family night and no entertainment interludes are necessary.

Greg, I'm doing everything to avoid you, or at least be humorous in response, but you obsessively pander for my attention just for the chance to take some cheap shots. I'm not interested.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Fair enough. The way I see it is that these conspiracies such pizza gate (among others) are just put out as clickbait designed to distort distract us and sow discord instead of people actually thinking.

Remember Sandy Hook?

You are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't mean I won't speak up. I know "conspiracy people" on the left and right and I say the same things to them I say to you.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby edededed on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:27 pm

I don't watch politics that much, but AOC reminds me of young, idealistic politicians who get elected in Japan.

...they are always very quickly shown who is boss, and their youth/hope/idealism/etc. is quashed very quickly.
Then, the old, decrepit leaders nod and know that the power is still with them.
I do like how the hierarchy is not quite as strong as this in the USA.

I don't think we should be ruled solely by the old and rich; on the other hand, a 20-something probably still has much to learn in life as well. But it is fine to have diversity in representation, too. If AOC keeps her eyes and ears open, she could grow to something great (with many years ahead); but if she already thinks she knows everything, well - she will just age.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:07 pm

It's worth mentioning that the green new deal is a resolution and not a bill. So these people whigging out over cow farts are trying to distract, distort and sow discord.

Germany has done it and Costa Rica has done certainly the US is capable of doing much more than we do today.

I would much rather see my country switch to more green energy than to suck up to autocrats with oil or go down to Venezuela and install another puppet dictator.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:16 am

Note the dates ;)

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5D4BD6A3

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http ... jh.jpg&f=1

Hmm, whether you agree or disagree, you have tow question his reasons for either opinion. It can't be based on logic or principle.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:00 am

Steve James wrote:Note the dates ;)

Hmm, whether you agree or disagree, you have tow question his reasons for either opinion. It can't be based on logic or principle.

Some time during the campaign and before he was elected he suggested during one of the debates with Miss Regime Change that the electoral college was bad if it meant he lost. So in total that's: con, con, pro.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but it could mean he changed his mind. Or his mind didn't change and he just mispoke.

It's Trump. Flip-flops are not just for house shoes any more.
Michael

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:43 am

Just playing devil's advocate here, but it could mean he changed his mind. Or his mind didn't change and he just mispoke.

Or, he says this now because he lost the popular vote and people want to eliminate the electoral college. I guess it depends on how one uses Occam's razor.
Jmo, but if he'd won the popular vote, and lost the electoral college, he'd claim that it was not democratic, the same as he did in Nov 2012 --even though Obama won the popular vote.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:17 am

There are three election process proposals from various Democratic candidates for Grand Pooba of the USAnian Empire.

(1) Eliminate the electoral college for the presidential election

(2) Allow 16 year olds to vote

(3) Allow non-citizens, including illegal aliens, to vote

My opinions:

(1) Keep the electoral college because it has worked and was part of the original agreement between the colonies so that individual states of lower populations would not be at a greater disadvantage to higher population states for the presidential election. I would consider changing it if there were some comprehensive election reform regarding money, advertising, and voting technology and rules.

(2) Hell no on voting at 16. Raise voting age to 21, lower drinking age to 16. Or eliminate an age requirement and replace it with a requirement to be married and have live children, or children who did qualify at some point to vote. Same requirement to run for office. Exemption for 8 years active duty military service with honorable discharge for voting, but not for office.

(3) No voting of any kind for non-citizens while immigration and border security are not being given a higher priority and comprehensive reform.

What are yours?

Michael

Postby everything on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:25 am

edededed wrote:I don't watch politics that much, but AOC reminds me of young, idealistic politicians who get elected in Japan.

...they are always very quickly shown who is boss, and their youth/hope/idealism/etc. is quashed very quickly.
Then, the old, decrepit leaders nod and know that the power is still with them.
I do like how the hierarchy is not quite as strong as this in the USA.

I don't think we should be ruled solely by the old and rich; on the other hand, a 20-something probably still has much to learn in life as well. But it is fine to have diversity in representation, too. If AOC keeps her eyes and ears open, she could grow to something great (with many years ahead); but if she already thinks she knows everything, well - she will just age.

you have to be at least 35 to run for USA president, thank goodness. 20-somethings know nothing for the most part. Whether that is a pro or con just depends. In the startup world that's fine (look at Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg, etc.) and probably a massive advantage (when you don't know what you don't know, sometimes that's the best way. Once you're jaded you really wouldn't go for certain crazy ideas). In politics, just as in medicine, that seems like a disaster. If we want to be prejudiced by age, I'd say 40s and 50s is best, much like with your doctors. You don't want an out of touch older doctor who is getting slower in mind, too set in old ways, and less able in body. Neither do you want a young doctor with no experience doing your risky operation. But the older doctors would make for great advisers and 2nd and 3rd opinions. So... give me a 45-55 year old president, please. Sorry AOC and Bernie and Drumpf.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:36 am

(1) Keep the electoral college because it has worked and was part of the original agreement between the colonies so that individual states of lower populations would not be at a greater disadvantage to higher population states for the presidential election

In the original agreement, only the white males over 21 were allowed to vote. White women, Africans and Indians outnumbered White males with property (who wrote the Constitution and were meant by "We, the People." The population of "small states" refers to the number of White males. In slave states, there were fewer of them; so, the electoral college protected their rights.

However, nowadays, "we" are all Americans (with a preemptive fuck you to those who disagree). So, the system should reflect the current situation, not that of 1788.

Your number one is related to numbers 2 and 3. I'm not sure about lowering the voting age to 16, but I remember when 18 year-olds could be drafted but couldn't vote or buy beer. I'm not sure about 16, but I don't see it as a disadvantage to any particular party. Consequently, I wouldn't even consider raising the voting age.

I'm not in favor of "illegal" aliens being allowed to vote. I don't consider any human being "illegal," anyway. But, I think there are people in the military now who are not "legal" residents. There was a report about a Marine who was deported. Anyway, I think anyone who fights for the country should be able to vote. Other than that, I think only citizens should vote. Well, I think all citizens should be required to register, and I think it should be illegal to take away the right of any citizen to vote.
Last edited by Steve James on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:17 pm

However, nowadays, "we" are all Americans (with a preemptive fuck you to those who disagree).

Made me LOL. Quote of the day.
Michael

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic