Timeline of Chinese Martial Arts

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Timeline of Chinese Martial Arts

Postby edededed on Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:50 pm

If it is German of a level suitable for 3-year olds, I may be able to read it... But I will read Yeung's article later!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby jbb73 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:28 pm

edededed wrote: (Incidentally, Matsuda Ryuichi's name seems to cause CMA people in Japan to laugh for some reason, but I hope that he was a good researcher at least!)

Hmm, what people and for what reason? How high his practical level really was I will not estimate based on some vids. But would be interesting to hear which people criticize him and what their background is.

(And yes, his research-work is great. Of course not 100% free of errors, but I think there is nothing comparable from one person besides some guys in China.)
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:22 am

My guess is that his CMA skill was low (or so the perception is). But part was due to the times - back then Japanese could only visit Taiwan (and later China) for short periods of time, so he would go and learn a style for a month, and then come back and write a book (or so people say). He wrote many books in Japan (Shaolin, luohan, taiji, xingyi, etc.).

I do think that he raised a lot of interest about CMA, though, and was one of the trailblazers in that sense (visiting China, etc.). He did it the Japan-way - i.e. through manga (comics), where he authored a pseudo-biographical story called Kenji, which was very popular for the time. I think he was Su Yuzhang's first disciple (well, one of the 1st batch), and thus was a part of getting baji, etc. famous. He definitely loved the CMA!
edededed
Great Old One

Postby jbb73 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:12 am

edededed wrote:My guess is that his CMA skill was low (or so the perception is). But part was due to the times - back then Japanese could only visit Taiwan (and later China) for short periods of time, so he would go and learn a style for a month, and then come back and write a book (or so people say).

So again my question is: which people with what background in Japan laugh concerning his skills as you wrote in the post before?
(I´m not his advocate, but that is a really interesting question for me.)

edededed wrote:I do think that he raised a lot of interest about CMA, though, and was one of the trailblazers in that sense (visiting China, etc.). He did it the Japan-way - i.e. through manga (comics), where he authored a pseudo-biographical story called Kenji, which was very popular for the time. I think he was Su Yuzhang's first disciple (well, one of the 1st batch), and thus was a part of getting baji, etc. famous. He definitely loved the CMA!

Hi
Yeah, thanks, I know his books and biography. A lot of his books contain loads of information completely unknown in western languages. The Kenji surely raised interest, but his twelve books are really precious.
Last edited by jbb73 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby edededed on Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:48 am

Hi again - just CMA practitioners in Japan that I knew (bagua, baji, pigua, yiquan, etc.). On the other hand, teachers who had a good relationship with him, etc. would of course likely say more positive things. Sorry that I cannot give specific names.

I wouldn't read too deeply into it - it just means that his reception in Japan is divided.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby jbb73 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:37 am

edededed wrote:I wouldn't read too deeply into it - it just means that his reception in Japan is divided.

Hi, all right, I see, so only the usual stuff :-)

(Others maybe would say, the whole Japanese CMA-practioniers are not so high developed... So I was curious, what Japanese CMA-guys are on a level that makes such critics serious.)
jbb73
Mingjing

Postby Overlord on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 am

Yeung wrote:I searched 康戈武 in Google Scholar, and find 221 articles related to him (Kāng gēwu) but no such book is found in Chinese. Is this book written by him in English?

In any case, the Spring and Autumn period was a period in Chinese history from approximately 771 to 476 BC. The Ancient Classics of China only dated back to Western Zhou period (1046 – 771 BC), and the most important work is the Book of Changes with the Yin Yang binary system that changes almost everything including martial arts, such as passive and active muscle actions.

Kang was one of the worst scholar of his kind.
His comments on LHBF is both personal and irresponsible, purely based on speculation and hearsay.
Too much theory and not enough practical get you no kungfu.
Apply! Apply ! Apply!
Overlord

Postby Yeung on Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:57 am

My only reference to Kang's comment on LHBF is his 1990 book page 186, and you have to understand that there is no evidence on the direct link of LHBF to Chen Tuan (? - 989). I am working on Chen Tuan's qigong set related to LHBF to ascertain a connection; may be you know more on the subject, and his idea on Wuji and Daoism.
Yeung
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:40 am

Yeung
Wuji

Postby Yeung on Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:36 am

Heishan rock carving on dancing:

Yeung
Wuji