Duran Mack, London HME Affiliate — Working the pluck

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: Duran Mack, London HME Affiliate — Working the pluck

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:35 pm

everything wrote:What did this "application" feel like when you did it?

We covered a lot of ground, man, which one you talking about?
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:42 pm

lol, just the last one.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Well here what it feels like I'm doing is starting with my weight on my right, applying pressure to his right shoulder. My right hand gets in place under his left elbow. He responds to this with a little wiggle and when he's moving back to his right already i slide my left hand side down to the crook of his right elbow and push up with my right Palm on his left elbow. These are like they're on opposite sides of a wheel, they move exactly together. At the same time I'm shifting my weight to my left foot and turning toward the left. It feels like turning a free wheel.

At this point, I could disconnect and they would fall over, but I prefer to hold on to keep my partners from falling down when I can, as Graham noted.

Looking at these in depth now I notice that with this one I'm not pressuring to the right at first, and my left hand is actually outside of his arm so I am trying to apply the down Force with a tiger's mouth/my thumb. Those differences change the geometry significantly. It felt there same at first but it hit resistance, obviously, when his arm gets in my face.

In both of those I believe I'm using my forearm muscle to grip their left arm as it progresses. The closed fist gives it just enough of a bump to grip. This is probably an error.

Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:13 pm

GrahamB wrote:Yes, that's Brush Knee Twist step - our form is somewhere between Yang and Sun on that app. I made a blog post comparing how it is done in various styles, based off this thread:

https://taichinotebook.wordpress.com/20 ... omparison/

It's interesting to compare it with the Chen version.

Watching your clips I think you need to learn to let go of people you are throwing away - you're trying to hold on to them and it's dragging you down ;D

Sorry I missed this earlier.

You're probably right about letting them go. In general I think I could make the issuing more crisp and detaching as well. Going slow makes me have to bend to take advantage of their posture problems sometimes.

Normally I intentionally stay attached since my goal is to just pull off the technique to unbalance and uproot not necessarily to knock my friends down. When people start pulling me along trying to get me off balance after they are already falling then I work on more consciously releasing and escaping their grip. I think the next thing i should work on is turning those situations into attacks by follow stepping and re issuing but for where I am now I'm just trying to avoid getting pulled off base.

But yeah sometimes people eat dirt and I always feel horrible about it. Would probably be better with mats.
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:51 pm

It seems like everyone needs to physically feel fine about falls and breakfall skills. Then they need to feel culturally fine about it.

If you feel like you're easily turning a wheel, that seems rather good to me. Effortless. If I try to do brush knee as a throw, I want it to feel "effortless" for the thrower, and "sudden" - just like missing a step and suddenly falling - to the throw-ee. I had another soccer player throw himself, essentially, off my turn. Like a fake looking aikido throw, but real. He wasn't trying to push me, and I wasn't trying to roll back or whatever. Couldn't do this in push hands if I tried. But I think that's more toward what we really want.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:58 pm

Everyone in Soccer can do that ,I've seen guy knock players over from six feet away with just a look
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:03 pm

bwahahaha, that is completely true!
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links