Chen Zhonghua on learning

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Chen Zhonghua on learning

Postby Bao on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:20 am

I liked this. Always good to try to make students understand how to act, behave and be respectful in class so they learn better.

I put it here in the general section instead of "video section" hoping to get a discussion and hear more about your own approach as teachers and/or students.

My own and only objection is about asking questions. Sometimes it's good to ask questions if you know how to ask the right questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBE_V3Zi3jI

Last edited by Bao on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Re: Chen Zhonghua on learning

Postby Trick on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:27 am

cant see the vid but im sure its a good one. about asking questions. there could be an "questions/reflections" time set off after regular practice class. all questions wellcome no question are viewed lesser. this might build a good connection within the group and quicker learning for everyone ?
Trick

Postby D_Glenn on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:26 am

The first points about not relating it to something else or to think you already know, is the reason why in the Bagua I learned, the first core set of movements and strikes that someone is taught, are designed to be a) movements you’ve probably never seen and b) movements that are outwardly awkward and extremely difficult to get any power in, unless you learn to use your waist to initiate the movement and add a whole-body power to follow. It circumvents the student having to use their own mental gymnastics to try and not bring in previous experience or use a frame of reference to something else.

People often complain that there’s no straight punches, jabs etc. Answer: “Why would I need to teach you something you already know? Or rather ‘that you think you know’” ;)

Last edited by D_Glenn on Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
D_Glenn
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:38 am

Excellent!
I like the approach because there is too much learning in taijiquan that relies, has relied on, and continues to rely on the use of" mystical language" that obfuscates some level and type of learning methodology.
I am not discounting the 'qi' mind set but in excelling at task x, there are levels of understanding (i.e. steps in x process) that gets you to the final acquisition of that skill

His message is SIMPLE enough for all to understand ;D
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby Bao on Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Trick wrote:cant see the vid but im sure its a good one. about asking questions. there could be an "questions/reflections" time set off after regular practice class. all questions wellcome no question are viewed lesser. this might build a good connection within the group and quicker learning for everyone ?

He speaks about listening without prejudice and empty your cup. First vid out of three.

What video sites can you watch? Is Vimeo blocked as well?

D_Glenn wrote:The first points about not relating it to something else or to think you already know, is the reason why in the Bagua I learned, the first core set of movements and strikes that someone is taught, are designed to be a) movements you’ve probably never seen ...
... “Why would I need to teach you something you already know? Or rather ‘that you think you know’” ;)

I absolutely love Yin (He Jinbao/Xie Peiqi) Bagua’s teaching methods. Very honest approach, the student is immediately thrown into the “real stuff”. And it’s very demanding. Have huge respect for long time practitioners of this art.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:15 pm

Bao wrote:He speaks about listening without prejudice and empty your cup. First vid out of three.

ah, yes i have seen too many "students" that already "know everything" to the point they almost seem want to take over teaching the class. they dissapear quickly.
Trick

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan