RAT

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: RAT

Postby klonk on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:05 am

Steve James wrote:If you "have to be honest" and say that you never liked someone who's dead and can't respond, then you have to allow people to say that they don't like you while you're alive and can fight back. Honestly.

Oh wait, I am triggered and offended. I need a safe space.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby Strange on Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:41 am

Fartrape
天官指星 单对月 风摆荷叶 影成双

岳武穆王以枪为拳, 六合形意李门世根, 形意拳五行为先, 论身法六合为首,少揽闲事心田静, 多读拳谱武艺精 - 李洛能 (形意拳谱)
Strange
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:22 am

Why do they consider listening to an audiobook "reading"?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:36 am

Steve James wrote:Why do they consider listening to an audiobook "reading"?

The narrator is reading at least. Good for them.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Steve James wrote:Why do they consider listening to an audiobook "reading"?

I had the exact same thought a couple days ago.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:14 pm

I just think it's strange when someone says that he's read an audio book. Actually, the only downside is that it won't (imho) improve anyone's ability to write. I think that the imaginative process will work pretty much the same.

I think audio books are great. However, from a practical pov, it will take one as long to read War and Peace, as it does to say it aloud. Think about that Dmitri. :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:20 am

Well, speaking of practical POVs -- they would only be able to do one of those while driving to/from work, and for better or for worse, it ain't reading...
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:48 pm

That's true, but I'm interested to know whether "listening" to a book being read has a different effect than "reading" a book silently, or even aloud.

Yeah, if the person is listening while driving, his brain and attention must be divided. What about listening to a book while watching tv. I don't know that the person will be able to recall what happened in the book.

I should add that I tell students that reading a poem aloud helps, and that plays were meant to be heard and seen, not read. I also think that podcasts and radio conversations are easy to listen to while driving or otherwise occupied.
Last edited by Steve James on Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:45 am

Do you know where your father was born? Do you think you'd remember?
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:55 pm

Well that was a wild topic jump... :) But I guess that's perfectly in line with the thread, it was getting too topic-y. Somewhere here, based on what he told me anyway: https://maps.app.goo.gl/PFM8a
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:21 am

Mine was D.C., but it was a rhetorical question for anyone without a mental or memory problem.

Edit: Sincere apologies to those who really don't know, were abandoned, or orphaned.
Last edited by Steve James on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:08 am

If it's a complicated or complex issue, just make fun of somebody.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:24 am

So, the obvious question to ask is "Are you taking information about your American political opponents from the Russians now?" "Would it be okay for the Democrats to take information from Russians to use for 2020?"
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Dmitri on Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:31 pm

^^ yes, but only as long as there's NO COLLUSION!! :D
Last edited by Dmitri on Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:57 pm

Dmitri wrote:^^ yes, but only as long as there's NO COLLUSION!! :D

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That