manipulation of electromagnetic spectrum

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

manipulation of electromagnetic spectrum

Postby everything on Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:09 pm

using "fields" from hands

http://journals.sfu.ca/seemj/index.php/ ... ew/349/311

The concept of Qi energy has been an integral component of Eastern philosophy and medicine
for thousands of years. While there is no precise Western definition of Qi energy, it is often
referred to as bioelectricity. It has been well established in the West that the electrical activity
in the human body produces magnetic fields, which are sometimes referred to as
Bioelectromagnetic (BioEM) energy. Technological advances over the past several decades have
made it possible to measure these subtle yet important electromagnetic energy fields within and
around the human body. Increasing evidence suggests that the Eastern concept of Qi and the
Western concept of BioEM energy may be one and the same. An exploratory experiment was
designed and carried out with the intention of providing further evidence of this connection.
Three adult males with reported extraordinary Qi energy manipulation abilities projected Qi
energy towards copper coils that were designed to measure subtle alterations in the immediate
electromagnetic environment. The results indicate that power increased or decreased significantly in the test phase at several frequencies when compared to the control phases. The analysis
also indicated that the change in power for these specific frequencies was directional. That is,
these changes in power were mostly detected in one versus all three coils simultaneously. These
results suggest that it is possible for human beings to alter the electromagnetic environment
around their hands at will. Specifically, the power seen at certain frequencies of the electromagnetic spectrum can be lowered or raised when a Qi Master "emits" Qi energy versus simply
holding his hand over a detection device during a control phase.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: manipulation of electromagnetic spectrum

Postby Dmitri on Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:10 am

Admittedly, the results of this experiment are controversial. This is a prelim-
inary experiment, and was designed to be exploratory in nature.

Check out their study PDF, figure 3 where the "test" phase is sandwiched between two control phases (or 'time bins' as they call them) -- there is no statistically significant variance there at all (that I can see anyway).
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:22 am

better to skip the so called "qi masters" and instead test with regular healthy guys
Trick

Postby LaoDan on Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:24 am

The study is just an “exploratory experiment” with only three subjects and no rigorous controls, published in a fringe journal [Subtle Energies & Energy Medicine] in 2002. To date there do not seem to be any studies that seek to confirm the preliminary information from this work. There are a couple of studies that cite this one, but they are looking at other things and do not provide any real support for this study’s findings.

While the idea of Bioelectromagnetic [BioEM] energy is OK, the study has methodological problems. Controls using lay people that know nothing about qi should have been used to check if the measurements could have been mimicked by people who were not “with reported extraordinary Qi energy manipulation abilities” but instead were just told to imagine that they were projecting their body heat (or energy, or thoughts, etc.) at the same time points that were used for the three qi masters.

Note that: “Data were not combined across subjects, as a preliminary analysis revealed significant differences between them (see discussion).” A significant difference between the three subjects indicates that what is being measured cannot be generalized to other practitioners. Note also that while they do find significant differences between the test and control time points, “these effects were not large.” Mostly they see marginal significance (p < 0.05) although certain measurements do reach better confidence levels (p < 0.01) although none of these are consistent for all test subjects. See Table II. Most frequencies are not significant for all three subjects; only 4 of the 20 frequency ranges show varying levels of significance for all three, and even for those frequencies, the effected coil was different for different subjects. Note that they state: “We found no consistent pattern across subjects.”

They did find some significant changes, but as far as I can tell, they seem to be rather random! I do not think that this study, on its own, gives us much usable information.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby everything on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:34 am

It's a difficult topic, let alone one to be able to do rigorous processes around. How do you have a self-identified category called "qi masters" even if you have another called "regular people"?
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby LaoDan on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:30 am

It does not really matter what I call groups since the study being discussed is so poor, but you can consider the following if you need a reply from me:

"qi masters" = “with reported extraordinary Qi energy manipulation abilities”

"regular people" = “lay people that know nothing about qi” [i.e., those without “reported extraordinary Qi energy manipulation abilities”]

Difficult topics need rigorous controls. The authors themselves state: “Despite the abundant theoretical evidence supporting bioelectromagnetic (BioEM) energy as the Western scientific correlate of Qi energy, very few rigorously controlled scientific studies have examined this relationship.” This study cannot be held as being among the “very few rigorously controlled scientific studies.”

Considering that: “We found no consistent pattern across subjects,” perhaps there was no pattern?

If they had included more controls, perhaps their results could have been more meaningful. For example, if significant differences were found when comparing trained qi manipulators to controls without training in qi manipulation, then their results would have been strengthened. They failed to provide rigorous controls, and therefore their findings cannot be rigorous.

I did due diligence and read their paper as well as searching for potential supporting studies. I could not find anything useful. If you found other studies (especially rigorous ones) that support this one, please let me know.
LaoDan
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:14 pm

I think the only way you test would be to know exactly what was being measured in the first place. Self identified Qi masters aren't the best candidates. There's no reason to compare before one can quantify. The experimente can then separate the master from the normal person.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:20 pm

Steve James wrote:I think the only way you test would be to know exactly what was being measured in the first place. Self identified Qi masters aren't the best candidates. There's no reason to compare before one can quantify. The experimente can then separate the master from the normal person.

right you would think that would be part of the study.

but ignoring the lack of scientific study (well after all there is physics and then everything else is stamp collecting right?), the "studies" of extra-ordinary people like on stan lee's tv show is always pretty interesting to me. my favorite is the guy who would put animals to sleep.
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:12 pm

will wearing an "taiji" silk pyjama increase or decrease ones Qi emission powers ?? [quote]Silk is a poor conductor of electricity and thus susceptible to static cling. Silk has a high emissivity for infrared light, making it feel cool to the touch.[60][quote] [quote]Natural and synthetic silk is known to manifest piezoelectric properties in proteins, probably due to its molecular structure.[61][quote] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk#Properties
Trick

Postby everything on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:00 am

Yes plus your sleeves and pants legs give that nice whooshing and popping sounds from those 70s MA flicks every time you punch or kick
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:57 pm

i may have to rethink this about plants and human connection. recently i went back to dalian and met with my teachers. with my xingyiquan teacher i for the first time went to practice at the place in the park he studied with his teacher. the practice area was quite small with a tree-stump in the middle, teacher said it use to be a strong tree they practised circle walking around. there was still another tree alive and well at one of the corners of the practice area to wich my teacher bowed three times. he explained his teacher used to sit by that tree and oversee his students practice, when he passed away they buried some bones of their teacher at the root of that tree.
Trick

Postby Dmitri on Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:18 am

^^ All in the mind...
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:37 pm

Nikola Tesla offered some good explanations.

His gravity theory is great.
roger hao

Postby everything on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:41 pm

wow that is incredibly hard to understand. the apple doesn't fall because of gravity, but because of other forces having to do with time dilation.

gravity is not a force, but the opposite reaction to the atoms' electromagnetic force coming from the quantum level that we see as time from light photon oscilation. that is what "creates time". objects fall toward the object with greatest time dilation. mass is a byproduct of the time dilation.

can't really follow it, but somewhere in there, "internal" "push"'s mechanism is probably explained (and it's not the newtonian mechanical crap that over half the board and 99.999% of people seem to believe).

"In physics, the fundamental interactions, also known as fundamental forces, are the interactions that do not appear to be reducible to more basic interactions. There are four fundamental interactions known to exist: the gravitational and electromagnetic interactions, which produce significant long-range forces whose effects can be seen directly in everyday life, and the strong and weak interactions, which produce forces at minuscule, subatomic distances and govern nuclear interactions.

The electromagnetic force, carried by the photon, creates electric and magnetic fields, which are responsible for the attraction between orbital electrons and atomic nuclei which holds atoms together, as well as chemical bonding and electromagnetic waves, including visible light, and forms the basis for electrical technology. Although the electromagnetic force is far stronger than gravity, it tends to cancel itself out within large objects, so over large distances (on the scale of planets and galaxies), gravity tends to be the dominant force."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundamental_interaction
Last edited by everything on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic