The Great Mas Oyama?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: The Great Mas Oyama?

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:27 am

grzegorz wrote:Here is a video of kungfu fighters.who wrestle bullls. Impressive yes but legendary?

Watch "Nevermind bullfighting... this is BULL WRESTLING (Guanniu)" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/hocFI16tCi0

That poor little cow doesn't understand what's happening
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:18 am

Yeah, cowboys wrestle steers, not bulls. And, rodeos are great fun, but I'd never try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WnYZxhOV1w
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby jaime_g on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:26 am

I asked a friend and he told me that fighting bulls could also kill grizzly bears ??? . Seems that in the XIX century they tried almost any available animal against bulls.

The only animals that regularly could beat fighting bulls were elephants (not very surprising ;D )
Last edited by jaime_g on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaime_g
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:41 pm

Rhinoceros ?
Trick

Postby Graculus on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:44 pm

Although it's not as visible in fighting bulls, it's very clear in bull riding that the bulls not only buck up and down but twist as well (unlike horses, which have a far more two dimensional movement), making them very unpredictable and difficult to deal with.

Not having had much direct contact with bulls, I used to imagine them as working in straight lines, but clearly there is much more to them than that!

Graculus
https://ichijoji.blogspot.com
Graculus
Huajing

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:01 pm

Graculus wrote:Although it's not as visible in fighting bulls, it's very clear in bull riding that the bulls not only buck up and down but twist as well (unlike horses, which have a far more two dimensional movement), making them very unpredictable and difficult to deal with.

Not having had much direct contact with bulls, I used to imagine them as working in straight lines, but clearly there is much more to them than that!

Graculus

its the horns, they try to get you with the horns, thats why they also twist
Trick

Postby Graculus on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:15 pm

That makes sense - thanks.

Graculus
Graculus
Huajing

Postby Steve James on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Unfortunately, that's part of what makes people consider bull fighting a sport. The bull does have a chance, but the odds are still against it. However, it's easy to find examples of bull fighters getting gored or killed. For some reason, they're called accidents. ... Not for the bull, though.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Don't the torriadors and picadors stab the shit out it the Bulls neck with short spears to give the Matadors a distinct advantage
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:31 pm

so he(MO)could "beat" beasts but not a taiji master. i remember reading this, he was bested by an master of taijiquan!? some speculate he reffered to Kenichi Sawai the taikiken founder who learned from Wang Xiangzhai who also was his former judo teacher.
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:09 am

marvin8 wrote:Starting at 6:41, Blumming says they hammered the ox's horn loose.

Martial Nerd
Published on Apr 27, 2017

Jon Blumming talking about all Oyama"s marketing and nonsense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXh_NpgQjU&t=6m41s

Damn! Thanks for the video it says it all.

An Ox full of fear.

Strange how often times it is the students who create these mythic tales.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:03 am

wayne hansen wrote:Don't the torriadors and picadors stab the shit out it the Bulls neck with short spears to give the Matadors a distinct advantage

Yep. It's a weakened bull, for sure, because he's tired. He's also enraged, and a weak bull is still more than able to wipe out any man. If it were simple, anyone could do it. Do ya think it's enough of an advantage that you'd be willing to try?

I'm not really in favor of bull-fighting, but I think it's a way of killing a bull that people who eat steaks often claim is cruel. Otoh, people who support it often say that it's a much better way for a bull to die. Um, btw, I don't favor cock-fighting or horse racing either.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:02 am

i knew he had studied shorokan and goju-ryu karate for awhile and some judo, but apparently also some ancient korean martial art. he was korean so maybe he did, but was it something that could be seen in his kyukushin style ?
Mas Oyama's testimony on Gwonbeop in the modern era[edit]
"'백만인의 가라테'의 저자 소개를 보면, 그는 9세 경에 권법을 배워 중학 2년에 초단이 되었다고 하고 있어 권법을 배웠다고 할 수 있다. 하지만, 전 세계의 무예를 소개하는 내용에는 조선의 무예를 서술하면서 그 특징으로 박치기와 머리카락(댕기머리?) 치기, 어깨치기 등의 특이한 기법이 있었다고 하며 발을 사용하는 소년과 선비의 대결 모습을 그림으로 표현하면서, ‘조선권법’이라고 기재하고 있어".[7] Translation: "In the author biography in the book '1 Million's Karate', Oyama learned Gwonbub at age 9, he became black belt in the 2nd grade of middle school. It can be said that he learned Gwonbeop. In his contents introducing martial arts of the world, he described Korean martial art. In characteristics, there are headbutt, hair strike, shoulder strike, etc special techniques. He showed a picture of a boy and a man kicking; he called it Chosun(Korean)-Gwonbeop."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwonbeop
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:58 am

Steve James wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:Don't the torriadors and picadors stab the shit out it the Bulls neck with short spears to give the Matadors a distinct advantage

Yep. It's a weakened bull, for sure, because he's tired. He's also enraged, and a weak bull is still more than able to wipe out any man. If it were simple, anyone could do it. Do ya think it's enough of an advantage that you'd be willing to try?

I'm not really in favor of bull-fighting, but I think it's a way of killing a bull that people who eat steaks often claim is cruel. Otoh, people who support it often say that it's a much better way for a bull to die. Um, btw, I don't favor cock-fighting or horse racing either.

I was just pointing out if the bull has to be weakened to kill it in the ring it would be pretty hard for an empty handed man to kill it
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Video Links