what is increased strength

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: what is increased strength

Postby everything on Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Royce didn't seem so strong at first but later he got caught going on the juice as well didn't he.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:55 pm

The next question is what is "internal" strength.

an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmVuT80v3ss
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
Trick wrote:but ultimately arent we seeking "the weak subdues the strong"? 8-)

That's bjj you're thinking of. Helio Gracie was a cripple, no?

actually i dont know anything about bjj. i was more thinking we are not gettin younger and stronger so eventually we must more and more depend on "smart" ways?
Trick

Postby Peacedog on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:39 pm

Based off of personal experience, I'd say most people simply need to get stronger. And the good news is that untrained people can do this at any age. It's why I am such a proponent of barbell training as this is the most efficient way to do this.

Martial artists, in general, are physically weak relative to their potential and this is frequently the case in pro-fighters in the lower weight classes.

Most people have never been, and will never be, strong as they have simply never trained strength. Body weight, kettle bells, certain forms of qi gong and virtually any modality except barbells will not result in a person being strong if they are not genetically born with this gift. While all of them will make an untrained person stronger, none of them will get an average person to be strong in the ultimate sense of the word.

And that's the thing.

Being strong, for those who have experienced it, is like having a superpower. Women swoon, men give you wary glances and bad guys instinctually move out of your way. A strong man with very little technique can frequently overpower a highly skilled practitioner who is weak. And a skilled practitioner who is strong is virtually unstoppable.

And getting strong is quick and easy in comparison to developing skill. My standards for this are a 3/4 bodyweight overhead press, 1.5-2x bodyweight squat and a 2x bodyweight deadlift. At that point, a 200 pound man will easily dominate 99% of all other human beings.

If you have never done it, doing through a linear progression in barbell training is well work the 4-6 month investment. It'll make your qi gong/meditation much better as well.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:50 pm

most likely we've talked about it before, but sadly I cannot do deadlift, squat, and bench press due to a shoulder issue. ugh looks like fun! I stick to kb swings and to a much lesser degree turkish getups. Was going to do pistol squats (can't do one armed pushups, but one armed pullups may be within the realm of eventual possibility), but kinda got lazy and stopped, but really should get back on that! but anyway, even baby level of these does feel darn good.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:58 pm

At that point, a 200 pound man will easily dominate 99% of all other [unarmed] human beings.

Edited for context.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Steve,

Very true.

Which is why when people get serious about trying to kill one another they use firearms.

On that note, firearms are the great equalizer. They are the only thing that will give a 94 year old woman any chance at all against a 16 year old boy.

But if we are talking unarmed combat, in my experience, the stronger man almost always wins unless there is a huge skill differential.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:46 pm

But if we are talking unarmed combat, in my experience, the stronger man almost always wins unless there is a huge skill differential.

Oh, I agree. My point is that martial arts (specifically weapons) were designed precisely because "all things are never being equal." And, those who fight have always understood that and ... well, necessity was the mother of invention.

I'm also with you when it comes to strength development. Weights are the fastest way. It's possible to get stronger at any point in life. Though, it's not possible for everyone to become a muscular 200 pounds. :) That's the reality. However, I think that those who do have that power are meaningful only when they help those who don't. As you said, people won't mess with them. In my opinion, they'll be defined by their use of strength.

I mean, after all, it is the strong who pick on the weak. You know, "excellent to have a giant's strength, but tyranny to use it like a giant." :)
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:29 pm

yet tyrion lannister will win the game of thrones
everything
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:56 pm

everything wrote:most likely we've talked about it before, but sadly I cannot do deadlift, squat, and bench press due to a shoulder issue. ugh looks like fun! I stick to kb swings and to a much lesser degree turkish getups. Was going to do pistol squats (can't do one armed pushups, but one armed pullups may be within the realm of eventual possibility), but kinda got lazy and stopped, but really should get back on that! but anyway, even baby level of these does feel darn good.

Currently I am doing 5 x 10L/10R (100) one-arm swings and 5 x 1L/1R (10) Turkish get-ups each morning.
Last edited by Taste of Death on Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:18 pm

Taste of Death wrote:
everything wrote:most likely we've talked about it before, but sadly I cannot do deadlift, squat, and bench press due to a shoulder issue. ugh looks like fun! I stick to kb swings and to a much lesser degree turkish getups. Was going to do pistol squats (can't do one armed pushups, but one armed pullups may be within the realm of eventual possibility), but kinda got lazy and stopped, but really should get back on that! but anyway, even baby level of these does feel darn good.

Currently I am doing 5 x 10L/10R (100) one-arm swings and 5 x 1L/1R (10) Turkish get-ups each morning.

This is a great goal for me. I kinda do these (with ridiculously light weight) maybe 3x a week for swings, and maybe 1x a month for TGU. No reason not to work up to daily except for laziness and neglect. Well, my legs are tired a lot from too much soccer, so swings can be an issue.
everything
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:25 pm

:-\
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Taste of Death on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:29 pm

everything wrote:
Taste of Death wrote:

This is a great goal for me. I kinda do these (with ridiculously light weight) maybe 3x a week for swings, and maybe 1x a month for TGU. No reason not to work up to daily except for laziness and neglect. Well, my legs are tired a lot from too much soccer, so swings can be an issue.

https://www.strongfirst.com/every-joint-every-day-the-elegance-of-simple-and-sinister/
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:31 pm

brilliant title and idea
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:17 pm

Peacedog wrote:
Being strong, for those who have experienced it, is like having a superpower. Women swoon, men give you wary glances and bad guys instinctually move out of your way.

here it borders to muscle-bound vanity
Trick

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic