what is increased strength

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: what is increased strength

Postby everything on Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:54 am

here = asia? rsf?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:54 am

Steve,

I would say that predators prey on the weak and that no advantage exists to being physically weak.

Intellectuals, and I'm not referring to you here as I understand that you get it, tend to denigrate the physically strong for any number of reasons, but it's generally because they are mentally weak as well as physically so.

Lifting weights may not improve someone's IQ, but it builds willpower and focus quickly. Just the act of placing 150kg on your back and doing a deep knee bend five times in a row does wonders for a young man's ability to focus. Pushing through the pain and fear of moving a weight, that if mishandled, could cripple you and making yourself do it over and over again for a period of months at a time leaves you with something you keep for the rest of your life.

And the overly brainy and under accomplished tend to get steamrolled by anyone who has a strong will.
Last edited by Peacedog on Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:22 pm

I wouldn't make any argument for being physically weak. I think the reality is that everyone becomes weak or is weaker than others and some point. So, I while I agree that being physically strong is better, I don't think it's always possible. I think martial arts were developed because of that reality. I don't think skill guarantees anything, but it gives one a chance. Without any training, there's little chance.

I also think the question is not how to get more strength. That's relatively straightforward. The issue is what you do with it once you get it. I think what most people object to are bullies, not strength. What the weak person in the class needs/wants is for the biggest kid to stand up for him. But, often it's the biggest kid that's the bully. My solution is simple. All the kids jump on the bully. However, in this society that doesn't happen. So, a friend of mine once noted that the reason people want to get stronger or to study martial arts is always the same: they're weak. They train to compensate, and sometimes overcompensate.

I'd say the object is to have a strong mind in a strong body for as long as they hold out. I'me, the construction workers I've known were more intellectual than the academics I've known were physical. That's life.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby everything on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Steve James wrote: My solution is simple. All the kids jump on the bully. However, in this society that doesn't happen.

one of my friends and his classmates did this as kids. the big kid never bullied them after that. it was "mob justice". a bunch of little kids jumping on you and kicking you is too much for even a big kid.

this is also similar to what one of my MA teachers said. big burly police officers tackle you and sit/lay on you, like in the NFL. you aren't gonna go anywhere. no need for a beatdown.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:57 pm

everything wrote:here = asia? rsf?

ah, sorry. here= the quote in my post
Trick

Previous

Return to Off the Topic