Black hole

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Black hole

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:58 pm

first ever picture of a black hole is claimed https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black-ho ... 33aa341d26 is it just another animation, but this time made to look real 8-)
Trick

Re: Black hole

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:29 am

Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:23 am

Chatoyancy
Trick

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:41 am

Animation? It's a rendering of five petabytes of information. So not a picture like pointing and clicking and snapping a shot, but a picture built from as many measurements as we could put together.

It's a tremendous achievement.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:38 am

so no smartphone pic then 8-) .......yes its an achivement. now i hope we also soon make that first contact, thats something i would like happening in my lifetime.
Trick

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:09 am

Yep, the biggest achievement is that the image is tangible evidence of the theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpYcCI9uzKo
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:45 am

There was one Image I saw that was zoomed back so the black part (apparently 6.5 billion times more massive than our sun) was just a tiny part of the whole frame. There's a whole swirling field of radiation and matter being sucked in. Can't find it now to save my life though. Damn.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:50 am

Then I hop on facebook and it's right there, smh. (Stolen from Bao)

Most news outlets are only showing the blurry zoomed in picture of the black hole so I'm posting the entire zoomed-out image of the black hole and everything it is consuming. The tiny black spec in this image is 6.5 billion times the size of our sun. This thing is HUGE.
Last edited by origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:09 am

This thing is HUGE.

Aw, to call it huge is to trivialize it. :) The scale is beyond comprehension. Try to visualize something a million times bigger than the sun. Now, try a billion. I'd bet that the images look about the same. Might as well be a trillion quadrillion, it's beyond my brain. Otoh, it's great to know that.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:14 am

the massive jet beam comming out from it looks cool, seemingly just comming out on one side. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 87_jet.jpg
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:21 am

now i know a black hole is called so because gravity so strong even light cant escape. so how about that beam ??
Trick

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:40 am

The jet comes from the superheated matter that swirls around (surrounds) the black hole and is ejected away from it because of the magnetic field that is created. It's not "light"; it's electrons and sub-atomic particles.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:32 am

oragami_itto wrote:Then I hop on facebook and it's right there, smh. (Stolen from Bao)

Saw dat! ;D 8-)

This thing is HUGE.

It sure is!

;D ;D ;D

Steve James wrote:Aw, to call it huge is to trivialize it. The scale is beyond comprehension. Try to visualize something a million times bigger than the sun. Now, try a billion. I'd bet that the images look about the same. Might as well be a trillion quadrillion, it's beyond my brain. Otoh, it's great to know that.

Maybe this will help? :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i93Z7zljQ7I

Last edited by Bao on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:48 am

Steve James wrote:
This thing is HUGE.

Aw, to call it huge is to trivialize it. :) The scale is beyond comprehension. Try to visualize something a million times bigger than the sun. Now, try a billion. I'd bet that the images look about the same. Might as well be a trillion quadrillion, it's beyond my brain. Otoh, it's great to know that.

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Ya know, take the biggest star in that video. Ya can't see it with the naked eye from here.
It's also been calculated that if one had a ship that could travel faster than light, space is so big that one could go in a straight line from any place on the planet to the edge of the universe and not hit anything.

There's huge and there's humongous!
Steve James
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic