The Great Mas Oyama?

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: The Great Mas Oyama?

Postby Steve James on Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:20 pm

I was just pointing out if the bull has to be weakened to kill it in the ring it would be pretty hard for an empty handed man to kill it

Oh, I agree, especially if it's a bull bred for fighting. But, I dunno if one could kill a grown dairy cow empty handed.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Trick wrote:i knew he had studied shorokan and goju-ryu karate for awhile and some judo, but apparently also some ancient korean martial art. he was korean so maybe he did, but was it something that could be seen in his kyukushin style ?
Mas Oyama's testimony on Gwonbeop in the modern era[edit]
"'백만인의 가라테'의 저자 소개를 보면, 그는 9세 경에 권법을 배워 중학 2년에 초단이 되었다고 하고 있어 권법을 배웠다고 할 수 있다. 하지만, 전 세계의 무예를 소개하는 내용에는 조선의 무예를 서술하면서 그 특징으로 박치기와 머리카락(댕기머리?) 치기, 어깨치기 등의 특이한 기법이 있었다고 하며 발을 사용하는 소년과 선비의 대결 모습을 그림으로 표현하면서, ‘조선권법’이라고 기재하고 있어".[7] Translation: "In the author biography in the book '1 Million's Karate', Oyama learned Gwonbub at age 9, he became black belt in the 2nd grade of middle school. It can be said that he learned Gwonbeop. In his contents introducing martial arts of the world, he described Korean martial art. In characteristics, there are headbutt, hair strike, shoulder strike, etc special techniques. He showed a picture of a boy and a man kicking; he called it Chosun(Korean)-Gwonbeop."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwonbeop

I came to remember I was a long time ago shown a “Qigong” exercise supposedly handed down by Oyama in his kyukushin system. It was very similar do the Baduanjin but still with a distinct flavor, a little more “martial”(more fists) if I remember right...I wanted lo learn it but was told it was for the most trusted students or something like that....I guess every East Asian martial arts traditions has to have its secrets 8-)
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:49 pm

Next time I run into Cameron Quinn I will ask him about it
If anyone knows it will be him
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:03 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Next time I run into Cameron Quinn I will ask him about it
If anyone knows it will be him

from the source i saw/was told about that "baduanjin'ish exercise was trough the Taikiken groups in europe which are headed by some of the very seniors(but still young spirited souls) of kyukushin karate in europe...
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:10 am

I was showing Cameron some Hsing I one day
He took me over to a photo on his wall of three guys sitting at a bar
He said these are the best 3 kokushinki fighters and they all train Hsing I
I took it that he was talking about takkiken
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:12 pm

yes the 3 Kyukushinkai/"Xingyi" guys most probably where Kenich Sawai students. Jan Kallenbach of Holland must have been one of the three in that photo
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:41 pm

No they were all Japanese
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:26 am

In a way that does not surprise me
Trick

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:41 am

Trick wrote:
Trick wrote:i knew he had studied shorokan and goju-ryu karate for awhile and some judo, but apparently also some ancient korean martial art. he was korean so maybe he did, but was it something that could be seen in his kyukushin style ?
"'백만인의 가라테'의 저자 소개를 보면, 그는 9세 경에 권법을 배워 중학 2년에 초단이 되었다고 하고 있어 권법을 배웠다고 할 수 있다. 하지만, 전 세계의 무예를 소개하는 내용에는 조선의 무예를 서술하면서 그 특징으로 박치기와 머리카락(댕기머리?) 치기, 어깨치기 등의 특이한 기법이 있었다고 하며 발을 사용하는 소년과 선비의 대결 모습을 그림으로 표현하면서, ‘조선권법’이라고 기재하고 있어".[7] Translation: "In the author biography in the book '1 Million's Karate', Oyama learned Gwonbub at age 9, he became black belt in the 2nd grade of middle school. It can be said that he learned Gwonbeop. In his contents introducing martial arts of the world, he described Korean martial art. In characteristics, there are headbutt, hair strike, shoulder strike, etc special techniques. He showed a picture of a boy and a man kicking; he called it Chosun(Korean)-Gwonbeop."

I came to remember I was a long time ago shown a “Qigong” exercise supposedly handed down by Oyama in his kyukushin system. It was very similar do the Baduanjin but still with a distinct flavor, a little more “martial”(more fists) if I remember right...I wanted lo learn it but was told it was for the most trusted students or something like that....I guess every East Asian martial arts traditions has to have its secrets 8-)

ha, so i found it and it turn out to be the "baduanjin" and not so "secret" as i remember was told to me. illustrations made by my first teachers very good friend who where among the first students of Jon Bluming and also among the early taikiken practitioners outside japan(europe) https://www.taikiken.org/hachidankin.html
Trick

Postby Trick on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:44 am

Trick wrote:

ha, so i found it and it turn out to be the "baduanjin" and not so "secret" as i remember was told to me. illustrations made by my first teachers very good friend who where among the first students of Jon Bluming and also among the early taikiken practitioners outside japan(europe) https://www.taikiken.org/hachidankin.html
Trick

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Interesting standardset except for 5 which has 2 different pictures in each set
wayne hansen
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links