Winning through psychology?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: Winning through psychology?

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:38 am

h4890 wrote:
Trick wrote:Maybe this can be of some guidance? https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles ... r-explain/

Haha.. oh what a relief! Thank you Trick, this is just what I needed to hear. :) I think this discussion thread is over for me and I also wish you the best of luck in your continued education of the young. ;) If you ever again visit Sweden it would be great to have a beer and compare notes.

Best regards,
Dan

I remembered that maxim ”never complain, never explain” and think there is something to it that is worth following....But just now realized that webpage name might have provided some humor to the topic, no ill sarcasm were meant.....Sadly in a way i actually prefer to stay as much as possible away from Sweden and even Europe, I do feel I found my spot here in China. But yes it would be fun to have a meet up with fellow (Swedish) RSFers.
Trick

Postby Bao on Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Trick wrote: Sadly in a way i actually prefer to stay as much as possible away from Sweden and even Europe

Why? (It's understandable, but it would be interesting to hear if you have a certain reason.)

But yes it would be fun to have a meet up with fellow (Swedish) RSFers.

Just give me a PM next time you are around. ;) :)
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:59 pm

Bao wrote:
Trick wrote: Sadly in a way i actually prefer to stay as much as possible away from Sweden and even Europe

Why? (It's understandable, but it would be interesting to hear if you have a certain reason.)

But yes it would be fun to have a meet up with fellow (Swedish) RSFers.

Just give me a PM next time you are around. ;) :)

as strange as it may sound i feel more free here in China than back in Sweden. the social climat feel colder and in a way kind of hostile/edgy..thats how it felt two years a go when i was back for a couple of weeks...it has become a strange place for me....for example i was asked to show my drivers-license when i wanted to try my luck with the lottery, i asked why and pointed out that the request sounded really strange, the cachiere had trouble to answer, it was a rutine question for them to ask for "drivers-license", a strange place indeed 8-) 8-) .......you are an Uppsala guy ? i have som family up there(my fathers hometown) so if ever back i might find myself visiting your city
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:42 am

Sorry h4890 for going OT and derailing the thread.

Trick wrote:as strange as it may sound i feel more free here in China than back in Sweden. the social climat feel colder and in a way kind of hostile/edgy..thats how it felt two years a go when i was back for a couple of weeks...it has become a strange place for me....for example i was asked to show my drivers-license when i wanted to try my luck with the lottery, i asked why and pointed out that the request sounded really strange, the cachiere had trouble to answer, it was a rutine question for them to ask for "drivers-license", a strange place indeed 8-) 8-) ...

Agree.... :( .... Sweden has changed drastically ever since the 90s. Gradually colder and less friendly. Before the 1990s there were virtually no beggars or homeless people. It's still ok. China has improved drastically, yet some things are going backwards as well. I would prefer to move to China though. Maybe if I can stabilize my business better I'll try to work from there. ...If it still will be possible...

you are an Uppsala guy ? I have som family up there(my fathers hometown) so if ever back i might find myself visiting your city

Originally yes and living there now. Lived in Stockholm for many years though and have been trying to move back there for a long time. Will probably stay here a few more years as my kid likes his school and friends there. Family first.
Bao
Great Old One

Postby h4890 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:46 am

Trick wrote:I remembered that maxim ”never complain, never explain” and think there is something to it that is worth following....But just now realized that webpage name might have provided some humor to the topic, no ill sarcasm were meant.....Sadly in a way i actually prefer to stay as much as possible away from Sweden and even Europe, I do feel I found my spot here in China. But yes it would be fun to have a meet up with fellow (Swedish) RSFers.

Hello Trick, left you a private message. Best regards, Dan
h4890
Santi

Postby h4890 on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:49 am

Bao wrote:Sorry h4890 for going OT and derailing the thread.

No worries, the thread was already derailed! ;)

Bao wrote:Agree.... :( .... Sweden has changed drastically ever since the 90s. Gradually colder and less friendly. Before the 1990s there were virtually no beggars or homeless people. It's still ok. China has improved drastically, yet some things are going backwards as well. I would prefer to move to China though. Maybe if I can stabilize my business better I'll try to work from there. ...If it still will be possible...

And for the record, I completely agree. Interesting... three swedish guys who all agree on the state of sweden. Must be some kind of connection between martial arts training and your attitude towards life and society. ;)

If you're ever in Stockholm I'll gladly invite you for a beer or two.

Best regards,
Dan
h4890
Santi

Postby Bao on Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:13 am

Thanks! :)

-toast-
Bao
Great Old One

Postby RickMatz on Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 am

If asked, I’d have to say that the main reason that I study taijiquan is to help cultivate a calm mind.

That it is also an excellent exercise for a man my age (61) which helps with leg strength, flexibility, range of motion and balance is also true, but secondary.

As a man my age has no business getting into fights, self defense isn’t really on the agenda for me anywhere.

The organization I work for was hosting an event over several days at a hotel. We had around 150 registered guests. After our closing banquet on the last day, we had opened a hospitality suite for our party.

As a member of the staff, I was one of the first ones there to make sure everything was going to go smoothly. A couple of our more prominent guests were there and I joined them. Everyone else was still in the banquet room.

I’m standing there talking to our guests when a stranger kind of bursts into the room like he owns the place, grabs a beer and just walks up to our conversation. It was clear that he was quite drunk. He was loud, but he was funny, so we humored him. My idea was to let him have a beer and ask him to leave before our people started showing up in any numbers.

Well, he was loud and sloppily spilling drinks. He started becoming abusive towards the bartender and disrespectful towards my guests.

When he cracked open another beer, I told him that was enough. He wasn’t a part of our group and he had to leave. He didn’t like that.

So here I am, nose to nose with this guy who is a good twenty years younger and in far better shape than I am. He was really worked up.

I found that I was dead calm. I was firm and assertive. He couldn’t get a rise out of me.

He kept flashing his credit card and a wad of money around. He couldn’t believe that I was kicking him out. He could buy and sell the whole lot of us he said. I wasn’t backing down.

Maybe he became embarrassed by getting faced down by an old man, but at this point, he finally left.

We could hear him at the hotel bar which was across the hall from us carrying on and learned that security had asked him to leave there a little later.

For cultivating a calm mind, I think taijiquan worked.

Addendum: they told me at the hotel that this guy got into a fist fight with someone else later and was evicted from the hotel. He was there with a work group, apparently and I imagine will have some explaining to do.
Last edited by RickMatz on Mon May 13, 2019 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickMatz
Huajing

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan