results from S+S, program min, or similar?

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

results from S+S, program min, or similar?

Postby everything on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:43 am

anybody been doing simple+sinister, "program minimum", or similar, minimalistic functional strength (but not weightlifting or bodybuilding) programs a lot? yes, i know i can post on strongfirst etc., but more interested if the IMA/RSF folks have been doing these.

I've done swings+tgu off and on for years, but it's time to make it a quantified self thing and see what happens. not sure what i'll measure other than overall body weight just yet.

also, on the qualitative side, i'm more interested in "functional" strength and "structure" matched up to "internal" practice (less the structure side, more the energy side).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: results from S+S, program min, or similar?

Postby Taste of Death on Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:50 am

I've done S+S on its own and as a warmup to ROP ( Rite of Passage). It's a great minimalist program and can be done daily.
"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:00 am

Ok cool, some stupid questions for you then:
1. how do you not get bored? just make it a daily habit/practice?

2. do you like to do functional strength first, then IMA things? notice anything different if you follow this order vs. not?

3. for the warmup did you do the exact s+s warmup? i like it, but seems like it doesn't hurt to do other stuff like dynamic stretches.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:19 am

I've been doing S+S and related KB excersizes for about a year. I have 2x4s, 2x8s, 2x12s, 2x16s, a 20 and a 24. I'm not "seriously" into it mainly because I found when I got into it heavily (100 swings a day for 1+ week) the more I would do the exercises the more I wold lose the ability to get certain kinds of connection during qigong practice.

If I could describe the physicality it would be like trying to run on thin ice. You either slip or you fall through. The solid connection isn't there anymore. But it isn't so much that the ice is slippery or that it's thin, it's that the strength you gain seems to push through or apply oil to your feet -- you have more power -- your will to move is executed along the shape of the KB's path -- and you cannot find that connection to the axis of balance rooted in the dantian so easily.

It's almost like you are fighting to relax, because your body is pulling you away from relaxing while rooting.

So I gave up on serious kettlebell exercises.

I still do crowns every now and then and I like farmer's carries, but only occasionally. I don't do swings or cleans anymore or anything like that.

I'd still recommend them for anyone who wants to get fit or lose some weight though it is a fantastic exercise. I'm just afraid of spraining my laogong point again. Eesh.
Last edited by Appledog on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:24 am

Hmm ok thanks that is a good caution. I definitely don't want to compromise any internal feeling, and don't plan to be super serious but want to do this a little more, maybe for 100 days, and see how it goes. I have a messed up shoulder so won't ever be doing much weight for TGU.
everything
Wuji

Postby Appledog on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:29 am

everything wrote:Hmm ok thanks that is a good caution. I definitely don't want to compromise any internal feeling, and don't plan to be super serious but want to do this a little more, maybe for 100 days, and see how it goes. I have a messed up shoulder so won't ever be doing much weight for TGU.

Try it, it's a great exercise. I should add I think my main problem with KBs is that my skill level (qigong) is actually kind of low-medium, so I would do the swings and then less qigong. When I get a bit better I will go back and try the kettlebell exercises again, in conjunction with doing more qigong.

For myself I've currently substituted squats, jumping jacks, skip rope, and jogging for 'that kind' of burn. Mainly squats and walking/jogging (like, interval training). I also do mass qigong reps to create 'burn' so to speak wherever I can. I have a feeling it is safer to do this kind of weight training once your at a higher skill level.

I don't think doing 100 swings a day is going to affect you if you can do it in say 10 min and it's part of an otherwise normal 2 hour training routine. I think it would end up being beneficial. Like working out with a taiji ball maybe. A kb-shaped taiji ball perhaps :)
Last edited by Appledog on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Appledog
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:55 am

my skill level in both is low, so i'll probably go by feel rather than too much quant.

for lack of better terms, the minimum amount i do generates energy / is energizing. but the energy is "scattered" rather than "sunk". so qigong right after seems ideal.

mostly i do this for soccer (medium or higher skill level), but if there is a side effect to help cross train for IMA, I'm all for it.
everything
Wuji

Return to Off the Topic