Ken Ning, Yang Tai Chi: Counter to Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppecut

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Ken Ning, Yang Tai Chi: Counter to Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppecut

Postby marvin8 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:19 am

Saturday Tai Chi with Ken Ning:
Gorton Community Center wrote:Ken has been practicing martial arts for 27 years, and I started Tai Chi training in 1996 with Sifu Dale Washington, Sifu Ban Toy in 2000 and Grand Master Yang Jun in 2006. He has been practicing Tai Chi for 21 years and teaching Tai Chi for 12 years. In 2016, he received a Gold Eagle certificate from Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan Association. certificate. Ken is also one of Grand Master Yang Jun’s Disciples for the Yang Family Tai Chi Chuan. He teaches Kickboxing and Full-contact Martial Arts teacher and is certified by Ng Family Martial Arts Association.

Jessie S Santiago
Published on Jan 17, 2018

In this episode, Tai Chi instructor Ken Ning goes over some applications of how to defend and counter against the jab and the cross with host Jessie Santiago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Vis_uhBVZw

Jessie S Santiago
Published on Jan 18, 2018

In this episode, Tai Chi instructor Ken Ning goes over some applications of how to defend and counter against the hook line with host Jessie Santiago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoSFqGglTkg

Jessie S Santiago
Published on Jan 19, 2018

In this episode, Tai Chi instructor Ken Ning goes over some applications of how to defend and counter against the uppercut line with host Jessie Santiago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a53Ud4QFWTQ

Jessie S Santiago
Published on Jan 16, 2018

In this episode, Tai Chi instructor Ken Ning goes over some basics self defense application with host Jessie Santiago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axlC7gy3fdM

Jessie S Santiago
Published on Jan 4, 2018

Interview with Ken T. Ning, a Yang Style Tai Chi instructor based in the northern suburbs of Illinois. In this interview he discusses his martial arts background and the philosophy and applications of Tai Chi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDf5F_Vf18o

Other videos on defense against kicks and grappling:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh_nQ1 ... zdw/videos
Last edited by marvin8 on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Ken Ning, Yang Tai Chi: Counter to Jab, Cross, Hook, Uppecut

Postby Bao on Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:09 am

Some good ideas. Would be better though to get even more away from the chasing/trading punches mindset. ...And that defense from the uppercut, that is not going to work very well.

Thought about that he might do Hung gar as soon as I saw him move, wasn’t sure though until the interview clip. He seems to have a bit of broader fighting and sparring knowledge though I would suspect not very much experience. Seems to have a serious approach and good attitude towards what he does.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Rhen on Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:34 pm

Couldn't get into it at 1;30 min. in. this guy would eat leather against that filipino guy.
Rhen

Postby windwalker on Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:23 am

In the elastic wave thread and this thread both teachers seem very sincere. They each seem to make some basic assumptions that they will have the time to do what they demo against those that they label as boxers, ect.

Don't quite understand how they feel there will be such a big gap between punches thrown by someone who says they'er a boxer.

The teacher talks about moving like a cat, but then directly confronts the opponent through his centerline.

In this case the opponent is bigger, longer reach and has a weight advantage.

Not going to end well for the taiji teacher attempting to use the same methodology as the opponent.

He would be better served to assume the opponent is bigger faster stronger and work out, the what and how from there.
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:37 pm

Bao wrote:Some good ideas. Would be better though to get even more away from the chasing/trading punches mindset.

He did get away from the "chasing/trading punches mindset" by grabbing the jab (unlikely), throwing overhand right (common counter) or stepping in to close the distance. However, I agree that hitting, then controlling is a good strategy.

Bao wrote:...And that defense from the uppercut, that is not going to work very well.

I agree. It may be better to yield, then counter.

Rhen wrote:Couldn't get into it at 1;30 min. in. this guy would eat leather against that filipino guy.

I agree that to just say step in and close the distance is easier said than done. Often, the jab is a setup punch to lure the opponent to walk into a straight right. Closing the distance is a common problem grapplers need to solve.

windwalker wrote:In the elastic wave thread and this thread both teachers seem very sincere. They each seem to make some basic assumptions that they will have the time to do what they demo against those that they label as boxers, ect.

Don't quite understand how they feel there will be such a big gap between punches thrown by someone who says they'er a boxer.

I like that the OP video shows starting from long range, entry and demonstrating the techniques against a punches that are retracted. I thought the production was well done, too. The music beat was appropriate and wasn't too loud.

windwalker wrote:The teacher talks about moving like a cat, but then directly confronts the opponent through his centerline.

I think Ken was talking about keeping the weight on the back foot (not double weighting), relaxation and varying speed of movement.

windwalker wrote:In this case the opponent is bigger, longer reach and has a weight advantage.

Not going to end well for the taiji teacher attempting to use the same methodology as the opponent.

He would be better served to assume the opponent is bigger faster stronger and work out, the what and how from there.

Yes, it may be better using more of opponent's force, neutralizing and angles.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed May 01, 2019 6:59 am

IMO, it's painfully obvious that the Taiji guy has little to no experience dealing with realistic punches thrown by someone who's either trained or bent on hurting him.

Those garden-variety TCMA applications, along with his lack of shenfa (i.e., rigid upper body) and footwork, will most likely get him knocked out both on the street or in the ring real fast.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed May 01, 2019 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Wed May 01, 2019 7:36 pm

Yet another target for Xu Xiaodong. I'm giving Master Ken 10 seconds. 20 seconds if does "not tai chi" & back peddles.

Want to stop a boxer? Learn how to stay out of range and kick the legs until they are too scared to leave a leg forward. An alternative or in addition to - shell, bridge, clinch and elbow/knee/headbutt/takedown.

Or alternatively ask the boxer to only do push hands rules .... sigh.
dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Video Links