GOT spoilers

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: GOT spoilers

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 01, 2019 1:53 am

I'm pretty sure the original dragon glass blade when in a little higher up:

and that Aria stuck the pointy end in lower down.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed May 01, 2019 5:53 am

Like I said, just passing along the word of the show creators. They said in interviews that she hit the same spot, so maybe it just looks off on account of the armor?
I thought the same though that it looked lower
I think it's just the floor of the cinematography there, when it's dropping it looks like it falls farther, when she stabs him you don't really get a sense for where his arms are, but when she falls away it looks like it's right there in the zyphoid process.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainm ... ight-king/
Last edited by origami_itto on Wed May 01, 2019 6:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 01, 2019 6:13 am

You're right - the point of insertion is lower down, just above the belt in the close-up, but when it shows him explode it's in much higher up. They didn't think through the logistics of having to drop the knife from hand to hand.

It's so dark it's hard to see anything anyway.

Interesting theory on Jon sacrificing himself with the Dragon btw. "Go! Go!" - makes more sense than just random screaming at the dragon.

That music is fantastic though.

Last edited by GrahamB on Wed May 01, 2019 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed May 01, 2019 6:22 am

Actually, I thought that Theon was going to go for it when he was stepped over. That would have been the poetic justice, but they chose to go for the paradoxical.

Yes, it is a fantasy soap opera, and that is why it's interesting. The mystery of the Night King is meant to be as much a mystery as where dragons come from. They're in the script.

C'mon, they had to find a feasible way to defeat the army of the dead, and it couldn't be a deus ex machina --as in Dany flying in on a dragon, again. Now, seeing what happens to Cerse, who ends up with the big woman for the rest of winter, and how Dany and John are related, is more important than who ends up on the iron throne.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 01, 2019 6:36 am

I'm just waiting for the faceless man to pop up right at the end. "SURPRISE!"

The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed May 01, 2019 7:11 am

I sincerely expect the faceless men to catch up to Arya in one of the remaining episodes. Give us a good major character death that looks like a stupid accident.

Would it have been more or less satisfying to have him fried to a crisp by Drogon than stabbed by Arya? People are saying that the ending was unearned, like the 60 minutes of hell-on-Westeros didn't happen before it.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 01, 2019 7:14 am

I think there's a bit of a sense that we never found out how good he was at fighting, what his end game was, etc... he was just a bit of a relentless zombie and then he died.

The Darth Maul effect.
Last edited by GrahamB on Wed May 01, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed May 01, 2019 7:38 am

They shoulda had him monologuing when Arya made the leap.
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 01, 2019 7:42 am

He never said one damn word in 8 series! ;D
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Wed May 01, 2019 7:51 am

He let his teeming horde of undead warriors do the talking
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed May 01, 2019 7:52 am

GrahamB wrote:He never said one damn word in 8 series! ;D

He's not an actor. He was a stunt man; he played the white walker that John killed with his sword in the cabin. He was tapped to be the Night King, but he also taught Maisie the sword fight routine against Sir Brianne.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Taste of Death on Wed May 01, 2019 12:11 pm

"It was already late. Night stood murkily over people, and no one else pronounced words; all that could be heard was a dog barking in some alien village---just as in olden times, as if it existed in a constant eternity." Andrey Platonov
Taste of Death
Wuji

Postby I-mon on Wed May 01, 2019 2:16 pm

I think I'm disappointed that they actually did such a great job in so many ways, but a big let down in other ways. Like the story with Bran is so mind bending and psychedelic, if that's it for him and it's just like "yeah he's got psychic powers now the Night King's dead cool let's go fight Cersei!" then that's a pretty sudden and disappointing end to that whole story arc of magic, prophesy, and the whole religious bit as well - the old gods? Lord of Light? Seriously what the fuck is going on?
I-mon
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Wed May 01, 2019 2:27 pm

I’m hoping for a 2001-like ending. Full on mushroom trip.

I’d like to know what the Lord of Light is up to. He seems to have been providing just the right assistance to lead to the defeat of the Night King. But what’s his game? What’s he up to?
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed May 01, 2019 3:30 pm

Yeah, the Lord of Light might be another enemy, but no one's sure that what he wants is bad at all. I think how deep we might get into that is how many more episodes there will be in the series. The last chapter had seven, not ten. So, there might only be three more. Episode 4 will be the set up for the battle with Cerse, and 5 (imo) will be the battle/conflict. That would leave one episode to tie up all the soap opera stuff. You know, crying over the ones who were lost, and tears for the loves who find each other.

Resolving the psychic stuff and the conflicts between the gods would take at least two more episodes --Or, a spin off :)
Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic