Aikido vs BJJ (Sparring and Interview) — McDojoLife

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Aikido vs BJJ (Sparring and Interview) — McDojoLife

Postby marvin8 on Wed May 08, 2019 3:46 am

McDojoLife
Published on Apr 24, 2019

Cyan Heskett in a sparring match against Jason Aldridge. With an interview with Jason about the events that lead up to the match. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMAhQk_7MDg

TMA Revisited
Published on Apr 22, 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RmXlZ7KveE
marvin8
Wuji

Re: Aikido vs BJJ (Sparring and Interview) — McDojoLife

Postby Bhassler on Wed May 08, 2019 8:13 am

Where's the BJJ? And apparently the Aikido guy is self-trained. The title should read "pro fighter vs. untrained bum". When the disparity in experience is that high, styles are totally irrelevant.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Wed May 08, 2019 11:40 am

Bhassler wrote:Where's the BJJ? And apparently the Aikido guy is self-trained. The title should read "pro fighter vs. untrained bum". When the disparity in experience is that high, styles are totally irrelevant.

Per Jason, Cyan (aikido guy) did not want to be taken to the ground and held there or use gloves. Cyan said he's been doing martial arts since age 5. While Jason said he's been studying martial arts for only 16 years. Jason is a MMA coach, not an active professional fighter. Cyan speaks authoritatively about aikido and teaches it, but lacks giving details on lineage and years of being an aikidoka.

Excerpt from "Services:"
"Cyan Heskett wrote:Fundamentals of Aikido
3 hours • $200

Learn all the basic principles of aikido in ONE class. Good for beginners and experienced martial artists alike. Private class at the time and location of YOUR choosing!

Wuji Special - Whatever You Want
30 minutes • $55

A sampling of one or more of our offerings in a quick 30 minute session. Up to 10 people, at the time and location of your choosing, for the same flat rate. Even book multiple sessions if you like!

Qigong quickies
30 minutes • $50

Qigong has been clinically proven to improve mental and physical health, reduce stress, and boost the sympathetic nervous system. Learn exercises you can do at home in these short, simple classes.

At the beginning of the video, Cyan says, "Aikido is better than BJJ. Aikido teaches you to neutralize the threat as quickly as possible, to reduce damage, to stay off the ground. Aikido when properly trained has more of the requisite material to survive a real life altercation than BJJ does."

Cyan asked for the challenge in part to promote his websites, services and patreon. IMO, Jason along with Chilcutt's Memphis MMA acted morally while helping Cyan gauge where his fighting skills are. Although, I don't think it helped Cyan's TMA business.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed May 08, 2019 12:49 pm

good for someone to realize in 2019 that royce can choke him out regardless of his style and experience ... I guess?

humans really are too dumb to learn from history aren't we
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby roger hao on Wed May 08, 2019 12:58 pm

I don't believe this.
30 minute video for 15 second sparring.
If I can believe this video then I must also believe that the edited out portion
was the part where Cyan ( color or person? ) kicked Jason's ass with Aikido.
After watching I wished they were fighting till KO with broken glass embedded gloves.
roger hao

Postby Bhassler on Wed May 08, 2019 1:09 pm

marvin8 wrote:
Bhassler wrote:Where's the BJJ? And apparently the Aikido guy is self-trained. The title should read "pro fighter vs. untrained bum". When the disparity in experience is that high, styles are totally irrelevant.

Per Jason, Cyan (aikido guy) did not want to be taken to the ground and held there or use gloves. Cyan said he's been doing martial arts since age 5. While Jason said he's been studying martial arts for only 16 years. Jason is a MMA coach, not an active professional fighter. Cyan speaks authoritatively about aikido and teaches it, but lacks giving details on lineage and years of being an aikidoka.

Excerpt from "Services:"
"Cyan Heskett wrote:Fundamentals of Aikido
3 hours • $200

Learn all the basic principles of aikido in ONE class. Good for beginners and experienced martial artists alike. Private class at the time and location of YOUR choosing!

Wuji Special - Whatever You Want
30 minutes • $55

A sampling of one or more of our offerings in a quick 30 minute session. Up to 10 people, at the time and location of your choosing, for the same flat rate. Even book multiple sessions if you like!

Qigong quickies
30 minutes • $50

Qigong has been clinically proven to improve mental and physical health, reduce stress, and boost the sympathetic nervous system. Learn exercises you can do at home in these short, simple classes.

At the beginning of the video, Cyan says, "Aikido is better than BJJ. Aikido teaches you to neutralize the threat as quickly as possible, to reduce damage, to stay off the ground. Aikido when properly trained has more of the requisite material to survive a real life altercation than BJJ does."

Cyan asked for the challenge in part to promote his websites, services and patreon. IMO, Jason along with Chilcutt's Memphis MMA acted morally while helping Cyan gauge where his fighting skills are. Although, I don't think it helped Cyan's TMA business.

Jason Aldridge has had 4 pro fights:
https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fi ... n-aldridge

And there's still no BJJ in the video, just a lot of some fraud getting punched in the head by a guy who's very, very good at punching people in the head. I don't have a problem with the matchup or beating up frauds, I just think the title of the video is highly misleading.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Thu May 09, 2019 2:03 am

And there's still no BJJ in the video, just a lot of some fraud getting punched in the head by a guy who's very, very good at punching people in the head. I don't have a problem with the matchup or beating up frauds, I just think the title of the video is highly misleading.

When you look at the old gracie challenge tapes they slap while standing and set up take downs in the same way shown. This was definitely in keeping with the BJJ challange match traditions. But you are right he is an MMA fighter too and that is heavily influencing his approach. People fight how they fight i guess.

But this 'Aikidoka' specifically sought out a BJJ coach to challenge and this guy is a BJJ coach, so i suppose the title is in keeping with the challengers thoughts on this encounter.

As for the 'Aikido' Guy ... play silly games, get silly prizes i guess.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Trick on Thu May 09, 2019 2:32 am

Aikido in a dueling/challenge sparring/fight scenario is not Aikido anymore.
Trick

Postby middleway on Thu May 09, 2019 3:11 am

Tell that to the founder and many of his direct disciples, who accepted challenges from Judoka, KarateKa and Sumo rikishi.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu May 09, 2019 3:17 am

Trick wrote:Aikido in a dueling/challenge sparring/fight scenario is not Aikido anymore.

Then what is the point of practicing Aikido? And what use has it? :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu May 09, 2019 3:31 am

middleway wrote:

Tell that to the founder and many of his direct disciples, who accepted challenges from Judoka, KarateKa and Sumo rikishi.

Of them Ive only met Shoji Nishio but I was young and inexperienced back then and didn’t think about Aikido in the way I do today. Nishio was really skilled, he had also studied other budo other than Aikido.
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu May 09, 2019 3:50 am

Bao wrote:
Trick wrote:Aikido in a dueling/challenge sparring/fight scenario is not Aikido anymore.

Then what is the point of practicing Aikido? And what use has it? :P

Aikido is of course not for everyone since one do best to leave a competitive mindset behind, and that probably can be hard to accept by most.
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu May 09, 2019 4:06 am

Not much an answer to my questions. But well... :-\

BTW, you certainly don't need a "competitive mindset" to win a fight. :P
...Or rather, you shouldn't. I myself have never brought in such a thing in a conflict.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Greg J on Thu May 09, 2019 7:36 pm

"I believe in tough love."
- Jason Aldridge (MMA guy), reflecting on the challenge match.

Cyan is really lucky that his challenge was taken up by Aldridge. Someone else (younger, perhaps with a bit less life experience and self control) could have broken him. Hopefully this has been a learning experience for him.

Best,
Greg
Greg J
Huajing

Postby C.J.W. on Sun May 12, 2019 3:01 pm

::YAWN::

Trained MMA fighter bashes self-proclaimed TMA master.

Deja vu.....................
C.J.W.
Wuji

Return to Video Links