New Scott Park Phillips Book

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: New Scott Park Phillips Book

Postby Trick on Thu May 09, 2019 4:08 am

Bao wrote:I don't understand why his background should be a problem. Everyone has different backgrounds and different interests. He seems to have been around and met many people and had several different teachers. He has read a lot and follows discussions and forums (you can bet that he is lurking around here as well.) From what I've read in his blog, I don't believe that his knowledge is very deep. He writes as someone who is looking on things from the outside, not as one who has the experience himself. That could have an impact on his views and ideas, but I don't think it's a big problem. He has a lot of different ideas and thoughts and mostly present them without judging too much and without trying to teach everyone how things should be. What I can sense is that he sometimes makes up his own conclusions, sometimes generalising a bit too much and sometimes is too extreme with his ideas. But I would not blame him, as it's probably all about marketing and branding. If you want to make your voice heard you need to present something different and unique. If you want to sell books or a brand, that is what you need to do. If he manages to get the discussions going in a forum like this, then he has already done pretty well, far better than most of us here.
...Heck, no one ever shows interest in me. ;D

Yes I agree
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu May 09, 2019 4:08 am

:)
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 am

Funny just outside the Starbucks I sit in Now a guy is dancing whirling a short stick around, I’m filming but don’t know how to post that here
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu May 09, 2019 4:11 am

ballet based on fencing postures

That's a romantic myth I am afraid.

https://www.academieduello.com/news-blo ... d-fencing/

Contrary to popular belief, ballet did not begin at the court of King Louis XIV, nor did it begin in 17th-century France; it actually began 200 years earlier in 15th-century Italy, where it originated from the social dancing of the aristocratic society. It was the Italian Queen of France, Catherine de’ Medici who introduced ballet to the French court after she married King Henry II of France. Queen Catherine de’ Medici was a patron of the arts because she brought with her many traditions and entertainment cultures from her native Italy and it was from these traditions that the Ballet de cour (Court ballet) was developed, with what has been considered the very first ballet de cour – “Le Balet comique de la Royne” – premièring in 1581 during the reign of Catherine’s son, King Henry III. The ballet de cour was performed during the reigns of succeeding kings, including Henry IV and Louis XIII, usually at royal events like weddings and festivals, but it was during Louis XIV’s reign that the art form reached its climax and he founded the first official ballet school – the Academie Royale de Danse in 1660. Also, I haven’t read anything about fencing ever having an influence on ballet’s origins, which I think is very unlikely since ballet developed from Italian social dancing, not sport practised in the Royal French court. If it did have any influence, then I’m yet to find a source that confirms this.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 am

I'll let the academics argue about which came first, ballet or fencing, but they were both aristocratic pursuits and the aristocrats were obsessed with duelling, well before the Court of King Louis. Either way, the influence seems undeniable to me:

Last edited by GrahamB on Thu May 09, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Thu May 09, 2019 4:33 am

Trick wrote:Has he a background as a dancer, maybe that’s why he want Taijiquan to be a dance/theatrical performance..if that is what he want to come to a conclusion with his book ??……I remember during the 90’s in my hometown in Sweden quite a few dancers took up taiji practice, something that probably has happened elsewhere too....nothing wrong with dance performances, but Taijiquan is not such

Given that the form is derived from the martial techniques with more than a little stylisation, it's hard to argue that it's not a dance/theatrical performance just from a practical perspective ignoring all the referencing of historical sources. Surely anything with some deliberate aethstetic value could be regarded as such. Even if like me, your interest is more in the martial and you refuse to dance sober ;D
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby Bao on Thu May 09, 2019 6:27 am

I'll let the academics argue about which came first, ballet or fencing, but they were both aristocratic pursuits and the aristocrats were obsessed with duelling, well before the Court of King Louis. Either way, the influence seems undeniable to me:

There are fencing postures shown in the vid that resembles Minuet and similar older court dances as well. There are many different traditions, dances and theatre, that obviously influenced ballet. There might be things that classical fencing and ballet have in common. But I am very skeptical to the simplistic picture of history shown in the vid.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu May 09, 2019 7:11 am

Bao wrote:There might be things that classical fencing and ballet have in common.

french aristocrats/fencing/ballet, maybe its in the costumes ? 8-)
Trick

Postby GrahamB on Thu May 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Until you can hold the contrasting and contradictory philosophies of Mike Sigman and Scott Park Phillips in your mind at the same time without self destructing you cannot call yourself an internal martial artist.

:P
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Previous

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan