BREXIT

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: BREXIT

Postby klonk on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:16 am

Brit wit is perhaps over-subtle.
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:26 pm

UK lawmakers seize control of Brexit process from Theresa May's government - CNN
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/03/25/uk/bre ... cnn.com%2F
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Zonker on Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:25 am

Interesting development but, I won't be holding my breath: https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/032 ... eresa-may/
Zonker
Mingjing

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:36 am

Watch "Poland: Far-right trample EU flag, demand 'Polexit'" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/7DzthlQC_DI

klonk wrote:Brit wit is perhaps over-subtle.

Perhaps that's from a lack of any wit.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:07 pm

"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:25 pm

Hate crimes rise post Brexit vote.

Watch "Life for Eastern Europeans in post-Brexit Britain - BBC Newsnight" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/RmQ5vzaJWXc
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:20 am

Dark times, but I still have not given up hope. Sometimes it's darkest before the dawn. If a hardline Daily Mail columnist can change his mind, there's still hope...

"It’s nearly three years since I, along with 17. 4 million other Britons, voted for Brexit. Today I have to admit that the Brexit project has gone sour.” So began the Daily Mail columnist Peter Oborne’s widely shared piece on why he changed his mind about Brexit. The article stood out because it was a rare example of someone changing their mind and admitting to it in public.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opende ... ink-again/

It's a long article, but worth a read

Read more!
Get our weekly email

Email address
SUBMIT
It’s nearly three years since I, along with 17. 4 million other Britons, voted for Brexit. Today I have to admit that the Brexit project has gone sour.

Brexit has paralysed the system. It has turned Britain into a laughing stock. And it is certain to make us poorer and to lead to lower incomes and lost jobs.

We Brexiteers would be wise to acknowledge all this. It’s past time we did. We need to acknowledge, too, that that we will never be forgiven if and when Brexit goes wrong. Future generations will look back at what we did and damn us.

So I argue, as a Brexiteer, that we need to take a long deep breath. We need to swallow our pride, and think again. Maybe it means rethinking the Brexit decision altogether.

Certainly it means a delay when we can think about it all in a period of calm. Europe is offering us this opportunity. President Tusk is ready to offer a year’s extension. I say: grab it with both hands.
Last edited by GrahamB on Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:39 am

1 year 3 months apart.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:25 pm

Hmm, an ultimatum "or else"? Or else what exactly?
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:43 pm

One thing I will say about Brexit, at least it isn't just us Americans who are embarrassed when we show our passports abroad.

Thanks UK.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:25 am

#24 Brexit Heresies
A question from a listener leads us into an interesting discussion about Brexit and the miasma...

This week we take a short break to talk about Brexit, the meaning of sovereignty, the Miasma, and the state of British and European politics and political systems. The Mongol Empire also gets a mention or two.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/9404101/2 ... t-heresies
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:31 am

And voilence returns to Northern Ireland...
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat May 11, 2019 1:18 pm

This is what England has become. We're in the endgame now.

(translation provided by Google translate)
"Murielle Stentzel, a French expatriate in Kent, had to return to France after being the victim of xenophobia and racism linked to Brexit. She tells how her daily life has become a hell.
Murielle Stentzel is not afraid to use hard words . Contacted by phone, we feel disappointed, " betrayed ". " It's been 8 years since I lived in England, and from the Brexit referendum it has become catastrophic, " she says.
The story started well though . In love with England - " a tolerant, open country that I loved " - the young woman moved to Kent in 2009 , in Herne Bay, a small coastal town. There she works as a secretary in an accounting firm, which regularly contracts with London. Until the day when the Brexit arrives in the news of the country.
" Overnight, my company lost contracts and I was fired. I sent 30 resumes a week when I had an interview, it discriminated on the fact that I am French. Some ads showed even "British Nationals Only" (" Reserved for the British " nldr) which is completely illegal at the moment! ", indignant Murielle Stentzel.
"Like when Jews had to wear the yellow star"
From day to day, she suffers more and more xenophobic remarks . " One day I was taking the bus, the windows were wide open and it was cold and when I went to see the driver to ask him if I could close the windows he said, " If you're not happy return to frogland "(" If you're not happy, go back to the land of frogs ") I was in shock, " says the French.
Fear settles. " Once I was on the phone with my daughter, someone recognized my French accent and called me " bitch "-" bitch ".no one dared to speak French in the street . "Murielle Stentzel also tells how the government forced associations to send lists of foreign homeless people ." These were deported to transit camps before being sent back to their country. The banks have also asked the Europeans to provide evidence that they had the right to be in England . We really thought we saw the rise of fascism in Germany . "
The comparison, terrible, Murielle Stentzel continues by evoking the" UK settled status", that will have to get all the Europeans residing in England, before 2019." We were asked to provide 5 years of administrative documents , taxes, health insurance ... 5 years is huge. All to have a small plastic card that will show everywhere, all the time , always with you. With that, we will immediately be targeted as "foreign". Like when Jews had to wear the yellow star. "
Forced at the start
It's too much for Murielle Stentzel. Pushed daily to return home , without work or unemployment allowance, she decides to return to France, leaving behind her daughter and granddaughter . " It hurts . " Now she is trying to rebuild her life in La Rochelle, far from the English coast. " It's terrible because on the one hand I still love this country, but on the other I do not trust anymore, it's over, " says Murielle Stentzel.
Like her, other expatriates among the 3 million who live in England suffer like her these xenophobic attacks, fueled according to her by the government's speech. She tells us the story of this French married to an Englishman, living there for more than 30 years . Who was asked to leave because she was sick. Stories as dramatic as each other , partly told in a book , in which Murielle Stentzel participated: "In Limbo", "In limbo". A series of expat testimonials that tell how the Brexit changed their lives overnight .
" It's important that the French people, the Europeans, know how we are treated there, there are separated families, torn apart, I'm not a" drama-queen " : cases like me, there are some full and worst, "concludes Murielle Stentzel. And to add, sadly: " I will not go back ." "
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat May 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks for sharing Graham.

It's the same here for ethnic and religious minorities.

Trump made being racist ok again instead of making America great again.

At one rally someone yelled that we should shoot asylum seekers at the border after Trump declared that "these people" are rapists and needless to say Trump had a good laugh at the idea.

In my case and perhaps other minorities I am actually expressing my heritage or heritages even more.

Don't run and hide who you are or they win.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sat May 11, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Zonker on Sat May 11, 2019 2:36 pm

grzegorz wrote:And voilence returns to Northern Ireland...

Sectarian violence in Northern Ireland never totally stopped after The Good Friday Agreement went into effect, it's just been "microscopic", from a global media perspective. While there hadn't been a bomb attack since Omagh in August '98, Nationalists v. Unionist violence has continued. The violence has been focused against specific individuals and not entire communities and is difficult to differentiate from "street crime" murders. Global media coverage went ga-ga over two failed "bombings" in Derry because now, or so it would appear, bombs are back. That journalist being singled out and murdered is just more of the same thing that's been happening over the last 21 years.
Zonker
Mingjing

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic