Tai Chi Fa Jin Real Explosive

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Tai Chi Fa Jin Real Explosive

Postby origami_itto on Mon May 13, 2019 5:59 pm

Tai Chi Nei Gong wrote:An amazing clip demonstrating the incredible internal power of Tai Chi Fa Jin, on a steel ball weighing a 100 pounds. Lao Sho Damon Bramich demonstrates Hwa and Fa with explosive Fa Jin.

True Softness overcomes true hardness

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|X|
origami_itto
Wuji

Re: Tai Chi Fa Jin Real Explosive

Postby everything on Mon May 13, 2019 7:01 pm

what do you think of this?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Mon May 13, 2019 7:41 pm

Here is a woman swinging a 100 lb kettlebell. How come hers is so much smaller than his?

Here is this incredible fajin applied in competition.

Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon May 13, 2019 8:10 pm

Regarding the first clip.

I’d want to see him do it from a standstill.

Inanimate objects are difficult to do this with for a variety of reasons, but that is what I’d want to see.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon May 13, 2019 8:21 pm

The amount of inertial force required to stop a moving object will be exactly equal to the amount of inertial force that set it into motion in the first place. ... If the object is not moving, the amount of inertial force required to move it is generally equal to the mass of the object.

Notice that he pushes the weight back and forth so that he has
a sense of its mass, its not done from a stand still nor is really done from the point
before it passes its own equilibrium point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPa5IgL ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by windwalker on Mon May 13, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Tue May 14, 2019 6:19 am

everything wrote:what do you think of this?

Don't know what to think of it, honestly
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue May 14, 2019 7:47 am

yeah it seems to be in the category of "interesting but not relevant" for me, like so many "noisy" things people talk about related to "IMA"
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Tue May 14, 2019 11:35 am

Two things stand out
One there seems to be no reaction when he receives the ball
As you would expect with a heavy object
It just settles easily into his hands like a feather
Secondly when going away it looks like the speed of the film is played with
At one stage there is a point where the ball disappears as though there are frames missing in the clip
Last edited by wayne hansen on Tue May 14, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby cgtomash on Tue May 14, 2019 11:52 am

After looking at the push hands clip a little closer... I found it interesting that Damon grabs his opponent's shirt to help push him out several times. You can see this at 32s,1:20s,1:37s, maybe at 2:24s, 2:38s, and 3:12s. I guess the refs didn't pick it up?
cgtomash
Great Old One

Postby northern_mantis on Wed May 15, 2019 12:48 am

I like it. Yes you could pick holes in it but you can see the connectivity in the training clip and then he uses it dynamically against what looks like a bigger opponent.

Isn't this what people constantly ask for, to see what Tai Chi looks like in application. Reminds me of the that scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when everybody thinks the holy grail is some golden goblet when really it's just a humble cup of a carpenter.
northern_mantis
Huajing

Postby Bao on Wed May 15, 2019 1:27 am

northern_mantis wrote:Isn't this what people constantly ask for, to see what Tai Chi looks like in application. Reminds me of the that scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade when everybody thinks the holy grail is some golden goblet when really it's just a humble cup of a carpenter.

Agree very much. Everything in Tai Chi is about very simple basic mechanics. The hard part is to do things simple and precise, to do exactly only what is necessary and to cut away everything else.

What you see in demos is mostly like what card illusionists do. They make a great show and tell a complicated story around very basic, simple maneuvers: To transfer a card to the hand or to another place in the deck without anyone noticing it. The trick is extremely basic, but you need a whole lot of practice to do it so natural that no one notice it. It's the same in Tai Chi. It's all very basic and simple as hell, but the precision must be there. Tai Chi "maneuvers" are a bit more complicated though and maybe harder to become good at doing them natural and effortless as you need to deal with something balancing while in movement. But the impression is similar, people see and are attracted to the show, and they do not realise the simple mechanics behind what they see.
... If it's not all fake that is. People who can not do things simple enough to make things work, tend to fake things instead of spending time mastering the art of making things simple and do it with precision.
Last edited by Bao on Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby DeusTrismegistus on Wed May 15, 2019 4:57 am

I have doubts the ball actually weighs 100 lbs. There doesn't seem to be anything in the video indicating its weight so the video makers might not have ever intended people to think it weighed that much. Anyone who has suspended heavy bags or long bags from rafters knows how much vibration can go into the structure when something is jolting on a chain, no indication of that in the vid. Still looks like good practice and I used to do similar with a heavy bag when I had somewhere to hang one.
I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a

bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. -- Winston Churchill
DeusTrismegistus
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed May 15, 2019 7:18 am

The amount of inertial force required to stop a moving object will be exactly equal to the amount of inertial force that set it into motion in the first place. ... If the object is not moving, the amount of inertial force required to move it is generally equal to the mass of the object.

1. By swinging the object back and forth his determining the amount of inertia he has to deal with.

2. He touches the ball with his fingers first, very close to its own equilibrium point or even a little past it. This means it has lost much of the inertial force and is already starting to swing back the other way.

3. If he was forward of the objects equilibrium point it would not be able to do what is shown.

4. The ball is suspended and already in motion with the inertial force that he supplies.

Anyone who has kids and has pushed them on a swing can easily do what a shown. Of course the kids might not like it.

A better demo, more clear, would have been to come up on the object at a standstill and then send it out at high speed. As shown in the ph clip it does not transfer over to what he does, he is double weighted.
Last edited by windwalker on Wed May 15, 2019 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby origami_itto on Wed May 15, 2019 7:29 am

windwalker wrote:

1. By swinging the object back and forth his determining the amount of inertia he has to deal with.

2. He touches the ball with his fingers first, very close to its own equilibrium point or even a little past it. This means it has lost much of the inertial force and is already starting to swing back the other way.

3. If he was forward of the objects equilibrium point it would not be able to do what is shown.

4. The ball is suspended and already in motion with the inertial force that he supplies.

Anyone who has kids and has pushed them on a swing can easily do what a shown. Of course the kids might not like it.

A better demo, more clear, would have been to come up on the object at a standstill and then send it out at high speed. As shown in the ph clip it does not transfer over to what he does, he is double weighted.

Assuming the footage is unedited, the contact reminds me of this:

origami_itto
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Wed May 15, 2019 11:43 am

I think the fact that at one stage the ball disappears then reappears shows the film is edited and frames missing
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links