Update: Kung Fu Styles of the Chinese Muslims Series

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Update: Kung Fu Styles of the Chinese Muslims Series

Postby chenyaolong on Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:46 pm

Initially my trip to Henan was to focus on Kung Fu practiced in the villages around the Shaolin Temple, however an opportunity has presented itself to visit Zhoukou and Luoyang to interview various masters of Islamic styles of Kung Fu, mainly Cha Quan, Xinyi Liuhe Quan and Qi Shi Quan. So this is now going to be an entire seperate series from the Shaolin one.
You can help support this project at
http://www.patreon.com/monkeystealspeach

chenyaolong
Wuji

Re: Update: Kung Fu Styles of the Chinese Muslims Series

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Good luck Will!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:53 am

Since I recently been learning the basics of Xinyi Liuhequan, I’ve reflected somewhat on the issue of “Muslim Gong-Fu” styles. Also reading the little that is written about Yue-fei on the wiki(that is now down here in China), how some part of his very early life show similarities with the biblical Moses ?? Also that his famous tattoo similar to what can be found in important writings among the Chinese Jewish communities throughout their history in China......So yes I understand that it’s called Muslim Gong-Fu styles because they have been kept tight within those communities for some time. But perhaps there can be traced an Persian origin more specific an Persian-Jewish origin. It’s know that Persian-Jewish traders settled in around Henan and could had been done so before Islam came around, its know that many Jews in China eventually converted to Islam..But anyway if skipping mixing in any religious groups we could perhaps say that Persians came to settle around in Henan coming by the silk-road a long time ago. Maybe it was not Indian monks who brought Gong-Fu to China but instead Persian traders......However I’m looking forward to see and read more about “Muslim Gong- Fu” researched by someone who is not an lazy armchair “researcher” as me, good luck with the project.
Trick

Postby chenyaolong on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:20 am

Thanks a lot guys!

Trick, if you dont have VPN, I have been putting some of my interviews and other vids on Wechat for my Shifu and Chinese friends to watch. Search for Monkey Steals Peach under public accounts.
chenyaolong
Wuji

Postby dspyrido on Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Trick wrote:Since I recently been learning the basics of Xinyi Liuhequan, I’ve reflected somewhat on the issue of “Muslim Gong-Fu” styles. Also reading the little that is written about Yue-fei on the wiki(that is now down here in China), how some part of his very early life show similarities with the biblical Moses ?? Also that his famous tattoo similar to what can be found in important writings among the Chinese Jewish communities throughout their history in China......So yes I understand that it’s called Muslim Gong-Fu styles because they have been kept tight within those communities for some time. But perhaps there can be traced an Persian origin more specific an Persian-Jewish origin. It’s know that Persian-Jewish traders settled in around Henan and could had been done so before Islam came around, its know that many Jews in China eventually converted to Islam..But anyway if skipping mixing in any religious groups we could perhaps say that Persians came to settle around in Henan coming by the silk-road a long time ago. Maybe it was not Indian monks who brought Gong-Fu to China but instead Persian traders......However I’m looking forward to see and read more about “Muslim Gong- Fu” researched by someone who is not an lazy armchair “researcher” as me, good luck with the project.

And maybe they were all Alexander's ancient martial arts relocated from classical Greece which owe it all to ancient Egyptians who obviously got it from Atlantis. ::)

Records are sketchy but the only real reason these are Muslim styles is because for the most part they practised them & kept to themselves. This helped avoid the:

1. Conversion into a tofu martial art scholar "warrior" which plagues ima
2. Systematic eradication of notable skilled martial artist by various Chinese governments

The reason why the Muslims were a good source for martial arts is because they where a hardy lot who did lots of manual labor and practised for self protection. No mystical forces allowed - just make yourself strong with lots of drills and basics & if you're going to use it then be dangerous.

Anyway since you are doing xylh I will just channel my departed xylh sifu - practise more.

It is with reflection and hind sight that I realise how little benefit and how much distraction such intellectualization brings to equation.
dspyrido
Wuji

Return to Video Links