The Guoshu Guan and Martial Arts in 20th Century China

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Re: The Guoshu Guan and Martial Arts in 20th Century China

Postby everything on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:36 am

Trick wrote:I guess if that academy would had survived things would still go the way toward what we have today in the wushu world - taolu & sanda

the tournaments sound like sanda (it seems if you are knocked down or pushed out of the platform, it's like a tko).
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Trick on Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:55 am

At the time when that martial arts academy where around in China Karate had been introduced on mainland japan. Karate teachers experimented on various kind of rule sets and protective equipment such as boxing gloves and headgears for the practice of free sparring.
Since Gichin Funakoshis branch(Shotokan/JKA) was the biggest their semi contact style was adapted for worldwide all (traditional)Karate tournaments/championships.
But some branch organizations have their own rule sets.
Still main division for competition came to be -Kata & Kumite(forms & fighting) and practitioners specializing in either of them.
So it would seem that is the natural progression and that if that GouShu Guan had survived the earlier we would have had the division Taolu & Sanda the “wushu” way coming out from China,
Trick

Postby Trick on Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:04 am

Want to add since I’m on the karate track here. During WW2 Okinawan Karate lost quite a few Masters, some of them that might have had known some interesting historical information on Karate and it’s roots in China and other parts of Asia.
Trick

Postby everything on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:03 pm

I always kind of come back to "this isn't rocket science" as a way to console myself.

It's a lost art to fight with spears, archery, on horseback, etc., but who cares. If the zombie apocalypse happens, people will figure it out again. I can't cry for them. But if we don't know stuff like how to maintain nuclear reactors, that's pretty bad.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Previous

Return to Video Links