your side hustle

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

your side hustle

Postby everything on Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Well, it's supposedly the age of the side hustle now. The Gig Economy.

Do you have one, and how is it going? Some candidates for me (none of which I'm doing at the moment):

- Uber/Lyft. I don't actually have the right car for this.
- Charge those Bird and Lime scooters. Not motivated to drive downtown to collect them.
- Daytrading. Probably a serious contender in the future.
- Buy and sell shit online. Yeah maybe will dabble in this soon.
- Writing software to sell some kind of simple subscription. Eh. I kinda suck at this.
- Buy real estate and rent it out. I'm sure I would be horrible at this.
- Teach tai chi. Bwahahahahaha. I guess I'll do this one eventually. Who on RSF wants to certify me in your mail order course?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Re: your side hustle

Postby Bao on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:55 am

Have no side hustle... Or rather, everything I do is a sort of side-hustle.... Or a few of them. ;D

"Buy and sell shit online. Yeah maybe will dabble in this soon."

You can use drop shipping. I wold never buy things and have a stock. It takes so darn much time to keep everything in order. Services are much better than physical products if you want to sell things.

If you think that you are good at selling shit, you can always try to find people that are good at something and team up with them. Best is B2B, selling shit to companies and make them believe that they can get more sales through your stuff. Software, apps, booking apps, CRM systems etc. It might be a side hustle today, your main income tomorrow.

You can also try to find some blog niche, but it takes a lot of time and you need to write about the "right" stuff for the right market.

Online poker?

This Dan Lok guy might inspire you. He loves TCMA, Wing Chun and is a big Bruce Lee fan, so you can trust his judgement. ;D :

Last edited by Bao on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:32 am

For only $300 I will certify you in my "martial booty academy be-an-instructor-for-veterans old school traditional/modern/shamanic approach Tai Chi" online course. No skills or previous experience necessary but you have to buy an official T-shirt for $120.

I am also doing a seminar at your location that you have to organise.

Good luck.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby middleway on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:00 am

martial booty

HAHAHAHAH! That's actually pretty good. Gold star for the office moron.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby klonk on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:31 am

I've had good luck selling on eBay. The company does some things that annoy sellers, but if carefully examined, the policies are there mostly to assure positive shopper experiences--so the shoppers will keep coming back.

I've gotten excellent seller ratings for honestly and meticulously describing the condition of used items and promising to ship the next business day--but, instead, shipping the day the order arrives if the post office is still open. Good clear photos and lots of them help too.

The cost of doing business on eBay is something you need to factor into your pricing. Fortunately, the seller interface makes it easy to keep track of how much you are spending on fees and shipping.

There is more that I might say besides, many small points of salescraft and details of eBay's ins and outs, but a lot of it you must learn for yourself: The way to learn to make money on eBay is to lose money on eBay. -shrug-
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Postby roger hao on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:54 am

Real estate - Austin area right now has 7% appreciation
but we were running all the way up to 18% appreciation.
East side was over 20%. Brazil has been good for me also
roger hao

Postby BruceP on Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:43 am

Laziest Revenue Man ever ;D
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby greytowhite on Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Reiki healing. I charge $40/hour and 90 minute sessions. Sporadic but helpful.
greytowhite
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:13 pm

GrahamB wrote:For only $300 I will certify you in my "martial booty academy be-an-instructor-for-veterans old school traditional/modern/shamanic approach Tai Chi" online course. No skills or previous experience necessary but you have to buy an official T-shirt for $120.

I am also doing a seminar at your location that you have to organise.

Good luck.

hahahahaha this does sound good.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:14 pm

roger hao wrote:Real estate - Austin area right now has 7% appreciation
but we were running all the way up to 18% appreciation.
East side was over 20%. Brazil has been good for me also

Damn this sounds like a great skill set (that I have no plans to acquire).
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:16 pm

klonk wrote:I've had good luck selling on eBay. The company does some things that annoy sellers, but if carefully examined, the policies are there mostly to assure positive shopper experiences--so the shoppers will keep coming back.

I've gotten excellent seller ratings for honestly and meticulously describing the condition of used items and promising to ship the next business day--but, instead, shipping the day the order arrives if the post office is still open. Good clear photos and lots of them help too.

The cost of doing business on eBay is something you need to factor into your pricing. Fortunately, the seller interface makes it easy to keep track of how much you are spending on fees and shipping.

There is more that I might say besides, many small points of salescraft and details of eBay's ins and outs, but a lot of it you must learn for yourself: The way to learn to make money on eBay is to lose money on eBay. -shrug-

I've sold a few used items on the original Amazon Marketplace, and even though it was like a few $ at a time, there was something fun about it. Doesn't scale (the way I did it) but it seems fun.

I went to a free Shark Tank thing which was essentially an ad for their course on how to get good at selling on Amazon.
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:18 pm

Bao wrote:

Online poker?

many years ago my brother in law (who is super smart and in a field requiring those smarts) did a bunch of online poker. He went from about $1000 to $7000. He said it was mainly that the other players are not smart, not because he was good at it. I'm a pretty "math-y" guy, but I don't like to do these kinds of games for whatever reason.
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:23 pm

so when it comes down to it, I think something called "swing trading" (not open/close in a single day) is possibly an interesting hobby for me, and eventually light day trading. my father in law is successful at day trading (I don't think he does much more than the required minimum as far as capital), and my ex colleague is as well. I kind of feel like "monkey see monkey do" because they don't seem (much) smarter than me in terms of math/data/analysis/discipline.

I can't/won't quit my day job at the moment, but trading seems way more attractive to me than some of the other ones, personally.
everything
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:34 am

middleway wrote:
martial booty

HAHAHAHAH! That's actually pretty good. Gold star for the office moron.

One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby klonk on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:42 pm

everything wrote:
I've sold a few used items on the original Amazon Marketplace, and even though it was like a few $ at a time, there was something fun about it. Doesn't scale (the way I did it) but it seems fun.

I went to a free Shark Tank thing which was essentially an ad for their course on how to get good at selling on Amazon.

Bingo! Scalability will always be a roadblock so long as your listings are Quantity Available: 1
I define internal martial art as unusual muscle recruitment and leave it at that. If my definition is incomplete, at least it is correct so far as it goes.
klonk
Great Old One

Next

Return to Off the Topic