What will you do if your CMA teacher tells you this?

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Re: What will you do if your CMA teacher tells you this?

Postby johnwang on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:31 am

Trick wrote:I’ve been told by one of my teachers to keep certain teachings “under my hat” to only give away if I myself ever seriously take on a teachers role, and give it to the most dedicated/talented long time student(s). And make him/her follow the same..... I agreed

This is the exactly situation that I have stated here. A CMA teacher tells his disciple how should the disciple teach. It's addressed to all students and not just any particular student.
Last edited by johnwang on Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Postby everything on Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:29 pm

for some subjects that i've taught, it's not a question of holding back. it's more that only certain students can grasp the lesson.

I'm not sure of the modern rationale of this kind of holding back idea. maybe it made sense in ancient times or with strange politics happening in a nation.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby yeniseri on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:03 pm

I probably listened to 1/2 of what my teacher said but copied most of his explicit and discernible behaviours that I could possibly use. Again, my limited perception of my ignorance and lack thereof so this is relative ;D
He never talked too much, always took us to demonstrations to get 'new students' and we performed for special holidays like New Years Day and a few other celebrations.

He always said that some of us (students) would be better than him in a roundabout way and even suggested that his students to study with other teachers.
What I did realize was that the "rice bowl" is open to all. I realize that there were a few things my teacher taught that few people showed up so I learnt a few tricks along the way.
He even told us abuot one teacher in the Chicago area (Prof Huo Chi Kwang)and I did study with him for a short while!

I do realize that some stuff is for show (performance, etc) and that the essence of the art, few want to spend time or do the 10,000 repetitions to gain mastery and own the 'inner essence'! It's all good ;D
Last edited by yeniseri on Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 pm

it makes a huge difference if there is international standardization and some kind of rigorous pedagogy in an art or sport or endeavor rather than all ad hoc individual teacher decisions, even if the teacher is a "professional".

it's not the same thing to say "I coached Curry at Golden State" vs. "I played college ball and then hung out my shingle" even if the second person was actually better as a player.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby edededed on Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:03 pm

johnwang wrote:
Trick wrote:I’ve been told by one of my teachers to keep certain teachings “under my hat” to only give away if I myself ever seriously take on a teachers role, and give it to the most dedicated/talented long time student(s). And make him/her follow the same..... I agreed

This is the exactly situation that I have stated here. A CMA teacher tells his disciple how should the disciple teach. It's addressed to all students and not just any particular student.

Quite typical I think, actually!

Some people can "break" out of it by teaching a "new" art (openly).

Maybe this is what Xue Dian did - i.e. teach xingyiquan openly by teaching his creation of xiangxingquan, to break the rule without breaking the rule.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:27 am

Yes I agree, many Chinese are as lazy as any other national. Not many Chinese take up GongFu. And if parents want their kid learn MA they let them do TKD because then chinese costumes of “caring” for the teacher does not have to be followed(money saved) And I agree that mostly Chinese students “lack the impulse of question” , but then(of what I’ve seen) some westerners have an excess impulse of asking questions, and want way too much in a too short time.
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:42 am

johnwang wrote:

One can learn and come to good understanding and become quite accomplished of that particular MA my teacher teach without the “under the hat” methods, just that that method encompasses everything in one method...sort of. But still it’s best for students to methodically go through the stages of practice that lay beforehand. So in a way nothing is withheld.
Trick

Postby Trick on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:46 am

Trick wrote:Yes I agree, many Chinese are as lazy as any other national. Not many Chinese take up GongFu. And if parents want their kid learn MA they let them do TKD because then chinese costumes of “caring” for the teacher does not have to be followed(money saved) And I agree that mostly Chinese students “lack the impulse of question” , but then(of what I’ve seen) some westerners have an excess impulse of asking questions, and want way too much in a too short time.

That was ment as a comment to maarten’s post
Trick

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:58 am

A CMA teacher tells his disciple how should the disciple teach.

What if you have two different teachers who have completely opposite views on what to teach to whom?

This is why I don’t like “discipleship” as it’s understood today. If you become a disciple you are bound to teach what your Master teaches exact and literally. There is little room for individual thoughts and your own artistic expression will be limited. But still, if you look at things from the outside, philosophy and method have great variation. Restrictions for the sake of restriction will never develop and carry an art forward, which is exactly the opposite from the Chinese traditional view that every next generation must become better than the present one and improve the art. Strict discipleship as seen today kills the development and progress of Art.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby suckinlhbf on Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:56 am

Strict discipleship as seen today kills the development and progress of Art.

It is so true. Discipleship nowadays is a way to make more money. The teachers make more, and the disciples also make more from accepting disciples. Discipleship is a business model.
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby everything on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:08 am

like a pyramid scheme? in order to make money from a pyramid scheme, you need the base to be really, really wide. quantity not necessarily quality.

but it's better if you actually have quality and can do a good, repeatable educational system, standardized around the world.
Last edited by everything on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
everything
Wuji

Postby suckinlhbf on Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:46 am

It can be a franchise model. Using the "brand" to take members, sell them products (forms), big red pocket to get to middle level (disciple), devote their time and money to get to management level (inside disciple), get the member to open branches to collect franchise fees...…..
Self-Improvement is Masturbation
suckinlhbf
Wuji

Postby Bao on Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:57 pm

suckinlhbf wrote:
Strict discipleship as seen today kills the development and progress of Art.

It is so true. Discipleship nowadays is a way to make more money. The teachers make more, and the disciples also make more from accepting disciples. Discipleship is a business model.

I do have a certain respect for the Chen guys in charge, but when I hear a person as Chen Zhenglei stating that he has "several hundreds of close students around the world" I can't help feeling that discipleship has been watered down... :-\
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby MaartenSFS on Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:44 pm

I've met a number of masters that take discipleship very seriously and don't do it for the money. My Master hopes that all of his disciples can succeed him and pass on the art. You can't sit there and judge the culture from behind your computer in the West just because some of the masters that made it over there are playing the long con. There are hacks in every country.
MaartenSFS
Wuji

Postby HotSoup on Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:12 am

Just out of curiosity, what kind of stuff was it? The techniques, neigong, something of a more "spiritual" kind or something else?
HotSoup
Anjing

PreviousNext

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan