you can't sustain your peak accomplishment years

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: you can't sustain your peak accomplishment years

Postby everything on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:25 pm

any tips on conditioning in your 50s?
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:13 am

As someone in their late 40's this is what I've learned so far.

1) You cannot allow yourself to fall behind/become irregular with your training schedule. Missed training sessions result in an almost immediate deconditioning. And getting back to where you were takes forever.

2) Volume is the enemy. High volume anything completely wrecks me. I just cannot recover anymore. Even with the primary lifts I now do sets of three instead of fives.

3) Injury prevent takes priority. As most older active people will tell you, you pay for the injuries you sustain when younger. It is not that I am fragile. It is just very easy to aggravate an old injury. And I have several.

4) Nutrition is now important. Drink too much, smoke too much, eat poorly for a few days in a row, and I cannot perform at all. Maintaining body composition is a choice between being draconian with nutrition or accept being a fat ass who feels like crap all the time and cannot perform.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:42 am

You will wish for your condition at 45 when you're 65. So, kiss yourself and enjoy it now. You will not get younger, but you can always try to improve.

What nature gives, time will take away --and that means everything. Whatever you can do now, you will be unable to do at some point. But, worry about is the worst thing you can do, and is simply a waste of time.

Afa injuries and over-training, they're both inevitable if one is competitive. So, it's probably better to stop or chill at some point. Oh yeah, you can be a Helio Gracie, Gene LeBell, etc., and grapple all one's life. If Helio had been better at 80 than at 20, he'd have entered the UFC.

Ya know, I think that tcc's slowness was why so many martial artists took it up later in life. Many of them could fight already.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:43 am

Preserve your precious bodily fluids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV4Y_ensniY
Michael

Postby everything on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:54 am

Steve James wrote:You will wish for your condition at 45 when you're 65. So, kiss yourself and enjoy it now. You will not get younger, but you can always try to improve.

What nature gives, time will take away --and that means everything. Whatever you can do now, you will be unable to do at some point. But, worry about is the worst thing you can do, and is simply a waste of time.

yeah I wish to be approaching 40s, not approaching 50s.

Afa injuries and over-training, they're both inevitable if one is competitive. So, it's probably better to stop or chill at some point. Oh yeah, you can be a Helio Gracie, Gene LeBell, etc., and grapple all one's life. If Helio had been better at 80 than at 20, he'd have entered the UFC.

Ya know, I think that tcc's slowness was why so many martial artists took it up later in life. Many of them could fight already.

light rolling and light push hands certainly seems attractive. basically any age appropriate lighter version of stuff.
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby everything on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 am

Peacedog wrote:As someone in their late 40's this is what I've learned so far.

1) You cannot allow yourself to fall behind/become irregular with your training schedule. Missed training sessions result in an almost immediate deconditioning. And getting back to where you were takes forever.

2) Volume is the enemy. High volume anything completely wrecks me. I just cannot recover anymore. Even with the primary lifts I now do sets of three instead of fives.

3) Injury prevent takes priority. As most older active people will tell you, you pay for the injuries you sustain when younger. It is not that I am fragile. It is just very easy to aggravate an old injury. And I have several.

4) Nutrition is now important. Drink too much, smoke too much, eat poorly for a few days in a row, and I cannot perform at all. Maintaining body composition is a choice between being draconian with nutrition or accept being a fat ass who feels like crap all the time and cannot perform.

for the volume, the only "lifting" I do is grease-the-groove style kb swings and tgus. that is, I am not doing progressive overload or trying to do some max # in a short time period. I just do these most days until I feel like it's helped a little. this seems more in the category of injury prevention and not really any cardio or strength improvement. I am wanting to ramp it up a little, though.

nutrition. working on it for sure.
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:15 pm

In case the Kubrick movie reference wasn't clear, I have seen Chinese Medicine references that suggest after the age of 35 a man should limit his bedroom activities, decreasing as the years go by. Some books have schedules that say X age = maximum Y per week. Multiples are especially deleterious and should be discarded.
Michael

Postby everything on Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:02 pm

Michael wrote:In case the Kubrick movie reference wasn't clear, I have seen Chinese Medicine references that suggest after the age of 35 a man should limit his bedroom activities, decreasing as the years go by. Some books have schedules that say X age = maximum Y per week. Multiples are especially deleterious and should be discarded.

I seriously think limiting the activities does help with sports performances immediately afterward. Of course there is the natural decrease in activity level, but not sure what max Y should really be beyond that.
everything
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:56 pm

The Chinese Medicine references I assume are based on clinical experience from way back before the popularization of factory food and other industrial contaminants that are gradually degenerative, compared to pathogens that hit harder and faster, but might not have a long term effect on vitality. Overall, healthy people back then, if they had enough food, probably had more vitality than the average healthy person does now. For example, consider American Civil War soldiers' ability to march all day with 60 pounds compared to American soldiers today, with both groups being fed well, and so on.

Based on that, I think the Chinese Medicine age X and maximum Y per week in those books are probably too high for men today, but maybe they can be a rough guideline with a change to the equation, something like: Age X = Maximum Y—N per week. N represents all the variables for a particular person, such as constitution, exactly how you do your Y, and so on.

My opinion is that once a man begins to notice a big drop in his recovery time from exertion, generally after age 35-40, maybe like what Peacedog described in his weightlifting, then you have to minimize the Y per week to 1 or 2 and never do multiple Y's in one day.

Also, try to develop sensitivity to your own energy level so you can feel within yourself when you have reached a limit. Y's per week, poor sleep, and even stimulants like coffee, if over done, can affect performance levels much more once you're on the downhill side of things. Gotta adjust your habits accordingly.
Michael

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:11 pm

Overall, healthy people back then, if they had enough food, probably had more vitality than the average healthy person does now.

For example, consider American Civil War soldiers' ability to march all day with 60 pounds compared to American soldiers today, with both groups being fed well, and so on.

Bad example.
Dont know what kind of unit you were in,,,

was in mech, infantry....we didn't always have tracks to get around in. Lots of training on the ground,,...

60 lb, mmm, pretty light kit...we had 80+ lb and covered up to 25 mi a night cross country... didnt travel in the day...

Despite the relentless march of technology—and in some ways, because of it—soldiers on the march are carrying more weight on their backs than ever before, even going back to the days of swords and armor.

What the heck happened? Over the last decade, hyped technologies such as robotic mules and wearable exoskeletons promised to free up soldiers from hauling so much gear. Instead, the demands of the modern battlefield only increased the load.

In the American Civil War, a typical Union soldier might carry a total of 60 lbs. of equipment, including a ten-pound musket. By WWII, an American soldier could be carrying 75 lbs., which is why many wounded soldiers drowned during the D-Day landings in 1944.

The Armed Forces have always known this is a problem. Since 1945, the military has carried out at least five major surveys of the soldier’s load. All of them agreed soldiers were overburdened and looked for ways to decrease the weight. And all of them failed, because loads have not only increased for the modern soldier, but have more than doubled.

In 2016, the Marine Corps Times reported a new standard for strength and endurance. An average Marine Corps infantry officer should to be physically able to carry 152 lbs. for nine miles. That load might sound extreme, but even official documents describe carrying a 100 lbs. as standard. In the ensuing debate about whether this was realistic, one marine infantryman described carrying more than 200 lbs. during missions in Afghanistan.

ret in 95, this accords pretty much with the loads we carried...the ones with the M-60s and como, with batteries for the time, easily carried up to 100lb...
Being a medic with the medics kit also weighed a lot...don't remember how much.....
Last edited by windwalker on Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:18 pm

The Pentagon already makes everything from Kevlar, carbon fiber, and other lightweight materials, though this trend has led to a widespread joke: A soldier carries 100 lbs. of the lightest kit imaginable.

We haven't even mentioned squad and platoon weapons, and let's face it: Someone has to carry the ammunition. A single 60mm mortar round weighs four .lbs, as does a rocket for the AT-4 launcher. A belt of ammunition for the squad's M249 machine gun weighs six lbs, and soldiers tend to carry all they can. “There’s direct correlation between how much fire you can put down and who wins,” says Watling. “The requirement for ammunition is not going to go down.”

And then there is the bane of every technology user: batteries. “Almost everything a soldier carries today requires batteries,” notes James King in a piece for the Modern War Institute. Batteries for the platoon’s AN/PRC-117 radio weigh four lbs. each, and the radio burns through them rapidly. King estimates that the average soldier goes into action with a hefty 20 lbs of batteries.

Remember one time the grunts just left a lot their gear understanding the exercise would end soon,,,and they could just buy it when they got back....

yep,,,stuff is pretty heavy...
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Michael on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have consulted a Civil War re-enactor :)
Michael

Postby everything on Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Michael wrote:

Based on that, I think the Chinese Medicine age X and maximum Y per week in those books are probably too high for men today, but maybe they can be a rough guideline with a change to the equation, something like: Age X = Maximum Y—N per week. N represents all the variables for a particular person, such as constitution, exactly how you do your Y, and so on.

My opinion is that once a man begins to notice a big drop in his recovery time from exertion, generally after age 35-40, maybe like what Peacedog described in his weightlifting, then you have to minimize the Y per week to 1 or 2 and never do multiple Y's in one day.

Also, try to develop sensitivity to your own energy level so you can feel within yourself when you have reached a limit. Y's per week, poor sleep, and even stimulants like coffee, if over done, can affect performance levels much more once you're on the downhill side of things. Gotta adjust your habits accordingly.

I think this is one reason why the old timers said to pursue yin not yang. It's really like the taiji diagram. Do more yin which ends up helping you build yang. Do too much yang and you can hurt yourself. You can really feel it in your 40s. Well I'm off to do some tree hugging. :)
everything
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:08 am

The loads guys are fielding today are basically unsustainable. Body armor added a non-negotiable 40 pounds and really screws everyone in terms of mobility.

As a support guy, my basic kit weighted 95 pounds. My last two tours I switched over to a plate carrier as it saved a good 12 pounds. I only got away with this as I was a part of specialized units and fairly senior. The downside is that setup offered very little protection against fragmentation. And would not have been allowed if I had been doing anything kinetic. My last tour I didn't even carry a rifle. I was M9 only.

I've seen infantry soldiers moveout with 175 pounds on a multi-day patrol. I cannot imagine how they function like that.

It has decimated the enlisted ranks as now no one can make the senior grades (1stSgt/SGM) without some kind of debilitating injury. Which in turn screws frontline leadership. And the few that do are usually in SOCOM, which is another major suck on talent in the conventional units.

I have no idea what the answer is. Body armor does work. I've seen it save many lives. But it comes at a cost operationally and physically.
Last edited by Peacedog on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby LaoDan on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:25 am

I hope that this is not too far off topic:

For physical endeavors it certainly seems like early practice makes a big difference throughout one’s lifetime.

When I was young I was on the local YMCA swim team, but when my family moved I stopped for several years until I restarted with my High School swim team. A fellow YMCA swimmer, that I was comparable to in ability at the time, also was on the same school swim team but had never stopped swimming. He was much better than me throughout High School and I was never able to close the skill gap with him in those four years.

When one of my martial arts classmates had a child, our teacher suggested that it may be beneficial to play games that challenge the child’s balance when they became a toddler in order to prime them for superior balance perception for later in the child’s life. I had also heard that some martial artists who learned when very young think that it would be very difficult for students who first start training as adults to match the abilities of those who started early.

The above may be different than what the OP is referring to, however, since I am referring to abilities developed when the body is still growing and developing rather than fully grown adults in their “prime” (in their 20s-30s...).

I also think that mental abilities may be important. One certainly gains more knowledge (and wisdom?) as one ages until old age affects even cognitive abilities. But it also seems that early education confers a big lifetime advantage to mental abilities over one’s lifetime. This is again referring to the developing brain while one is growing rather than one’s mental facilities after adulthood. I know less about abilities begun in the “prime” of one’s life vs. later changes in direction or attempting to maintain one’s level of ability throughout one’s lifetime.
LaoDan
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic