Political Humor Only Please

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Political Humor Only Please

Postby BruceP on Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:00 pm

Steve James wrote:But, I think he said "Go back to where you came from," and white nationalist racists have always said that to non-white people

Are you sure? I doubt many of those people you've stereotyped above have said that to native persons. Before you make sweeping generalizations based on the colour of peoples' skin, you should bone up on what the word, 'racist', means.

What if there have been plenty of "white nationalist racists" throughout history who have never said that to any one, ever. Does that mean they're not a real 'racist' until they actually say it? You decide...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_4jx8wB24

https://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/ ... icEnd25gi3

https://youtu.be/bvqCGgIPpnw

https://youtu.be/UOBfARg1rWA

https://ktla.com/2018/07/09/grandfather ... tstanding/

This one is hilarious. Imagine if a 'white person' had said it, though?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAvuEyDy5JE
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:18 am

If you're racist, you don't have to say "Go back where you came from" but if you say "go back where you came from", there's a 95% chance that you're a racist.

And here's a news flash, you can be racist against your own race, even. That shouldn't come as a shock, I know, but there's a lot of ignorance going around.

Racism is, academically, racial prejudice coupled with power. Power to disenfranchise and prevent participation in the economy or society. Power to lock up without trial. Power to strip all possessions.

It's not about whether you like someone or not. Plenty of slave owners loved their slaves. Plenty of dog breeders love their bitches. It's about systematic inequality, not personal feelings.

So, yeah, some slaves would rather work in the house than the field and they sure did know they were better than those miserable sons of bitches. They'd do anything to keep from going back, starting with reminding the ones still there where they stand in the hierarchy.
The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

Postby BruceP on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:59 am

oragami_itto wrote:If you're racist, you don't have to say "Go back where you came from" but if you say "go back where you came from", there's a 95% chance that you're a racist.

And here's a news flash, you can be racist against your own race, even. That shouldn't come as a shock, I know, but there's a lot of ignorance going around.

Racism is, academically, racial prejudice coupled with power. Power to disenfranchise and prevent participation in the economy or society. Power to lock up without trial. Power to strip all possessions.

It's not about whether you like someone or not. Plenty of slave owners loved their slaves. Plenty of dog breeders love their bitches. It's about systematic inequality, not personal feelings.

So, yeah, some slaves would rather work in the house than the field and they sure did know they were better than those miserable sons of bitches. They'd do anything to keep from going back, starting with reminding the ones still there where they stand in the hierarchy.

Well, I might be naive, but I don't believe 'races' actually exist beyond the human race. Hence my playing devil's advocate in challenging the notions of racism and the word's utility in controlling and/or shutting down lines of communication. The word itself is overused not only as a weapon against constructive dialogue, but as self-propaganda of the lazy. It was amazing to watch it mushroom into the absurd starting with it being used to excuse away the reasons Trump got elected.

Telling someone to return to their place of origin is, at worst, xenophobic. But is generally just an expression of an individual's frustration at their not being emotionally mature enough to accept their own ignorance. In that vein, xenosenitivity (yeah, I made that word up just now) is as much a manifestation of self-loathing on the part of the hater as it is on the part of the 'woke ally'.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:05 am

What occurred to me was that Trump said "you can leave" which means the same as "go back where you came from" in the sense of being frustrated with a Somali who is in the Congress telling Americans how bad they are and that white people are not the future, blah, blah. But Trump doesn't really follow through, he seems to just be using that to manipulate the Democrats to allow some of the least congenial people in their party to represent them. When the crowd in North Carolina said "send her back", he disavowed the next day.

To me it looks like more political theater where Trump says something that appeals to his base, sounds or is nativist, something, whatever, and then CNN makes a big stink over it and turns to their designated racist white nationalist bogey man for commentary, expecting him to agree with Trump, which they will frame as a condemnation: if bad man likes Trump, then Trump bad, but the bogey man he calls Trump stupid.

The political theater failed, but Trump's base still do not want a Somali-American in Congress telling them they are racist because they don't want her telling the people who gave her a home and the opportunity to become a Congresswoman that they're racist.
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:52 pm

Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Bruce, I think the first thing I wrote was that what he said didn't have to be "racist." But, you doubt that "white nationalists" never to "native" people to go back where they came from. You might be right there. They said "go back to the reservation." At any rate, I --meaning me personally" remember being told to 'go back where I came from" quite a bit. I'll admit that the people who told me that all had parents or grand parents who weren't born here.

That's neither here nor there. Let's say you're right. It wasn't racist. So, let's say he told them simply "If you don't love it here, go somewhere else." Does that sound fair? But, since we're quoting, was there a point where any of the women involved said they didn't "love" America? When Trump criticized the (former) president/s, his policies, or criticized the country's laws, would it (and will it) be okay to tell him to go back where he came from? Why not?

However, if you say "yes." Then we arrive at a little problem. I.e., how do you tell a Citizen who was born HERE to go back (or be sent back) to where he or she came FROM. They're as American as him or his wife. Personally, I see no difference in an American telling another American that he or she doesn't belong is no different from Germans telling German Jews that they don't belong. They had to create a homeland to go to. So, I think what he said was worse than "racist." And, it has nothing at all to do with whether someone loves his country. Some people actually love this country because of principles in the Declaration.

On FOX and Friends, Geraldo Rivera recounted the fights he got into when he was told to go back to Puerto Rico. The host said, "You could say that to me." :) Sure, he "could" say it. I wonder what he'd have said if Obama had told him to love it or leave it. Imagine. That's the closest thing to a joke that I have. Ok, it's also funny how "un great" some people were calling America before 2016.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:43 pm

She's not a Somali. She was born in Somalia, the way Melania was born in Slovenia. Both took oaths to uphold the Constitution (including the Bill of RIghts), which grants them freedom of speech and to petition the government to change. Those are principles that don't exist in all other places. It's one reason America was admired. Anyway, their right to bitch and moan --especially about any other country-- should be supported even if one disagrees.

And, if a citizen with roots in Somalia or Palestine cares about what happens there, it's no different than an Slovenian or Bosnian caring about what happens there. She doesn't control US policy there. She merely has an opinion. Everybody wants to support free speech and expression to the point where they criticize "political correctness" and not allowing "other voices" to be heard.

Hey, I agree 100% with keeping people out and sending people away who want to destroy this country. But, to me, without the principles, the country destroys itself.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:46 pm

Steve James wrote:She's not a Somali. She was born in Somalia, the way Melania was born in Slovenia.

I think Reagan put it best.

Last edited by grzegorz on Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:19 pm

That's from Reagan's farewell speech. People often disagreed with his policies, but almost everyone agreed with his take of American principles. Here's the whole speech. Sorry to spoil the hahas, but there's no place else to put it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R8QxCD6ir8
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:02 am

Hey, I agree 100% with keeping people out and sending people away who want to destroy this country. But, to me, without the principles, the country destroys itself.

How far can the principle be stretched before the country is destroyed?

“We are collectively saying [to Trump], your vile attacks [and] your demented views are not welcome here,” Omar said at the event. “This is not going to be the country of the xenophobics. This is not going to be the country of white people.”

“This is not going to be the country of the few,” she added. “This is the country of the many. This is the country that was founded on the history of Native American genocide and on the backs of black slaves, but also, by immigrants.”

Everything she said here is an attack on America in general and white Americans in particular; these are not constructive criticisms. These attacks are why they chant "send her back" at the rally. This is a normal reaction from the people who are being told things like this every day, not only from naturalized citizens, but from many sources.

Trump is aware of it and he uses it. CNN is aware of how it looks for people to say "send her back" or for Trump to encourage them, and CNN uses that. Omar reacts to Trump and gets more attention from CNN.

Your comparison to Melania has no value. No one wants to send Melania back. She does not make statements attacking citizens. What they have in common as naturalized citizens has nothing to do with the reasons for Omar to attack white people or for white people to want to be rid of someone who is attacking them.
Michael

Postby BruceP on Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Steve James wrote:You might be right there. They said "go back to the reservation." At any rate, I --meaning me personally" remember being told to 'go back where I came from" quite a bit. I'll admit that the people who told me that all had parents or grand parents who weren't born here

Yeah, I remember being told "go back..." many times. One day while working on a Native Housing project on a NWT reservation in the 90s. Such a weird twist to what you wrote just there, eh. I never thought of it as 'racist' since I've never, ever given any paid to that word. People of all ethnic groups say "go back..." to each other all the time. That was the point I was making by posting those links to begin with, but you missed it.

Steve James wrote:That's neither here nor there. Let's say you're right. It wasn't racist

It wasn't. Thanks. You played the 'racist' card a few posts back re: "white nationalist racists". I was just calling it out, and showed in the links how it ain't just one particular segment of your country's population that say that sort of thing to others - contrary to your self-propagandizing. Again, you missed the point.

Steve James wrote:Personally, I see no difference in an American telling another American that he or she doesn't belong is no different from Germans telling German Jews that they don't belong. They had to create a homeland to go to. So, I think what he said was worse than "racist." And, it has nothing at all to do with whether someone loves his country

Congrats, Steve! You got nazi germany into it! That was actually the closest thing to a joke in your post.

Steve James wrote:On FOX and Friends, Geraldo Rivera recounted the fights he got into when he was told to go back to Puerto Rico. The host said, "You could say that to me." :) Sure, he "could" say it. I wonder what he'd have said if Obama had told him to love it or leave it. Imagine.

Yeah, Trump's hypocrisy isn't lost on me, buhleeve me. And his stupidity in attempting to rationalize the sentiment in that tweet was just more of the same from him. He did disavow the chanting that happened at his rally, though. I've had a disliking for The Donald since I saw him on Oprah back in the early 80s, but it's kinda fun to have certain people here think I'm one of Trump's "supporters/defenders" while I'm actually debunking the veracity of the claims they make which attribute his presidency to being the cause of some things that have actually been status quo in your country for decades. Like the border patrol checkpoints, the half-truths about where his merchandise is manufactured, the farm crisis, immigration, etc. Their bigotry doesn't afford them an appreciation for what is actually being offered in countering those premises.

Since you brought up Obama, watch video clips of Clinton and Obama as they state their policies/views on immigration, for instance, and compare that to what Trump has been saying. Compare the numbers of deaths in the detention centers under all 3 of those presidents' watches. Orange Man Bad/TDS is just a big eraser, and the cause of much myopia. I have no dog in the fight that's going on in your country. As I wrote *almost 3 years ago, and has since been borne out, the historical significance of DJT's presidency is on the same magnitude of social 'adjustment' as what happened when the Berlin Wall came down.

The so-called 'dogwhistle' seems to be working, though, and the smolletting has begun. Georgia State Rep was prepared to destroy some guy's life for taking issue with her use of the express till. It only rates 4 1/2 jussies. Coulda been five jussies, but it turns out the guy is a trump-hatin, cuban democrat and she got caught in a lie. MAGA hatters can expect no mercy if/when they get smolletted...because of their hat of course.

*timeline correction
Last edited by BruceP on Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BruceP
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:28 pm

Your comparison to Melania has no value. No one wants to send Melania back. She does not make statements attacking citizens. What they have in common as naturalized citizens has nothing to do with the reasons for Omar to attack white people or for white people to want to be rid of someone who is attacking them.

Ah, but they're both citizens and have a right to criticize whoever they choose. Nobody's asking Melania to go back where she came from or leave if she's not happy with the government. Did Trump "attack" Mexicans? Did Trump attack the president? Does he criticize other citizens --white and not--even white Republicans? Even if she (whoever you mean) attacks or criticizes white people, she has the rights of an American citizen. Period.

Bruce, if someone doesn't "believe" and "love" our DoI, and the principles in it, they should go somewhere else better. Right? And, like you said, there's only the "human" race. But, "race" is not equivalent to "citizenship." Plus, there's no such thing as a white "race." But, it's not the same thing as being "American," especially if you're born somewhere else. A "white" American is just an American, like the Congresswomen.

Yeah, the MAGA hat kid. There was quite an uproar that someone had told him to go back where he came from. I don't think it was the native guy. Yep, how dare anyone say that to him. Anyway, I bet he isn't going anywhere, and neither is anyone else. Ya'll can agree with Reagan or not. He grew up with American values. Find out what he said about racism.
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:34 pm

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:03 pm

Steve James
Great Old One

Postby origami_itto on Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:05 pm

The form is the notes, the quan is the music
Atomic Taijiquan|FB|YT|IG|
Twitch
origami_itto
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That