6 Specific Exercises Curb Weight Gain Despite Obesity Genes

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

6 Specific Exercises Curb Weight Gain Despite Obesity Genes

Postby Trip on Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:25 pm

Researchers identified six exercises that seemingly helped participants keep their body weight lower despite having a genetic risk for obesity.

https://www.slashgear.com/six-specific- ... -01585977/

The number one activity

Jogging

followed by:

– Walking
– Power walking
– Mountain climbing
– Long yoga practices
– ‘International standard’ dancing

However, not all exercises were linked with lower obesity risk.

The scientist found — to their surprise, they note — that

Swimming,
Cycling,
Stretching,
and Dance Dance Revolution

Didn’t help curb weight gain in these predisposed individuals.

You can find the Study Abstract & PDF download here:
https://journals.plos.org/plosgenetics/ ... en.1008277
Trip
Wuji

Re: 6 Specific Exercises Curb Weight Gain Despite Obesity Genes

Postby Peacedog on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:22 am

People who do a lot of cardio to keep their weight down tend to end up being "skinny fat" in my experience, but regarding the study.

Seems to jive with what I've seen.

Swimming is not helpful for people who tend towards higher bodyfat percentages in my experience. I've seen a couple of studies that state this as well over the years. Something about the water being colder than body temperature resulting in the body wanting to hold onto its fat.

Ditto for cycling. I think the fact that it is done seated has something to do with this. Stretching does not burn much in the way of calories in my experience, although it does stress the CNS a bit and that is why people get tired doing it in my experience.

Can't speak to dance dance revolution. I've only ever seen emaciated middle school kids playing that.
Last edited by Peacedog on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:27 am

Peacedog wrote:People who do a lot of cardio to keep their weight down tend to end up being "skinny fat" in my experience, but regarding the study.
Seems to jive with what I've seen.

Thanks for sharing your observations!
What is your definition of "skinny fat"?

Peacedog wrote:Swimming is not helpful for people who tend towards higher bodyfat percentages in my experience. I've seen a couple of studies that state this as well over the years. Something about the water being colder than body temperature resulting in the body wanting to hold onto its fat.

The Study puts forward a theory on Swimming too.
Wan-Yu Lin wrote:We here provide possible explanations for these results. Cycling (989 subjects), stretching exercise (602 subjects), and qigong (377 subjects) usually require less energy expenditure than the 6 exercises that demonstrate interactions with GRS [genetic risk scores] [57]. Exercises in cold water such as swimming (486 subjects) can especially stimulate appetite and food intake [58, 59].

*58. King JA, Wasse LK, Stensel DJ. The acute effects of swimming on appetite, food intake, and plasma acylated ghrelin. J Obes. 2011; 2011. https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/351628 PMID: 20953411; PubMed Central PMCID: PMCPMC2952805.

**59. White LJ, Dressendorfer RH, Holland E, McCoy SC, Ferguson MA. Increased caloric intake soon after
exercise in cold water
. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2005; 15(1):38–47. PMID: 15902988.
Trip
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:17 am

Skinny fat is what I call the "Vince Vaughn" body.

Thin, and lanky, with no muscle tone. If you tank someone like this, their bodyfat can be surprisingly high into the range of the high 20%s. Tom Hanks when younger is another example.

Also, keep in mind that aerobically oriented cardio is very catabolic in nature. This in turn makes testosterone levels take a dump, increases cortisol, etc. Which is why marathoners are never jacked.

Anecdotally, these make up your thin Type 2 diabetics. Sometimes they have really high cholesterol as well. But again, this is just an observation. And since I work in medicine, I mainly deal with sick people. It could just be a sample bias.

I would also add the huge prevalence of anabolics, and performance enhancing compounds in general, give most people a very distorted view of what an athletic body looks like in the modern era. Everyone who is competitive at a high level uses something. Even the biathletes use beta blockers to get their heart rate down when they are on the gun. Ultimate frisbee uses a lot of kratom. I'm sure the ping pong guys are on something as well, probably some kind of stimulant, but I couldn't get any of them to talk to me about it.

For example, this is a good example of a lifelong steroid free lifter at the end of a diet. He went from 245 to 217 pounds. And it took six months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DYLdai7gnM
Last edited by Peacedog on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:31 am

Peacedog wrote:Skinny fat is what I call the "Vince Vaughn" body.

Thin, and lanky, with no muscle tone. If you tank someone like this, their bodyfat can be surprisingly high into the range of the high 20%s. Tom Hanks when younger is another example.

Ahh, Understood!
Thank for sharing.
And, thanks for the video that mentions the crucial aspect of behavior change.

My POV is biased because of years of education in nutrition. So, for me, walking around a little hungry is the diet to live by.
But at the same time I'm not certain how much behavior change effects those who are predisposed (those with Genetic factors) how much "behavior change" helps those individuals to curb weight gain.
I'm sure it plays a part, I'm just not sure how much.

The interesting thing about the study for me is that they came up with specific exercises to help people curb weight gain despite obesity genes.
If the study results hold up, that can save people hours of doing exercises that most people find rewarding but may not pay off as much for the Genetically predisposed.

Again, thanks for sharing your findings.
Trip
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:14 am

I hesitate to share it, but I have found one form of exercise that universally results in weight loss with little control for diet.

I will warn you in advance that keeping this up is a real mother@#%#%.

It is called heavy hands walking. Basically, you walk and swing weights to at least shoulder height. Start low at only 2-3 pounds. The key is that the stride rate needs to be at least 100 and preferably 110 steps per minute. Work up to 45 minutes per session three times per week.

The calorie burn is insane. But the workout is likewise. If, and the operative term is if, someone can keep it up, it always works. Also, it looks dorky as hell.

https://www.amazon.com/Heavyhands-Walki ... 0878576924
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:44 am

Peacedog wrote:It is called heavy hands walking. Basically, you walk and swing weights to at least shoulder height. Start low at only 2-3 pounds. The key is that the stride rate needs to be at least 100 and preferably 110 steps per minute. Work up to 45 minutes per session three times per week.

The calorie burn is insane. But the workout is likewise. If, and the operative term is if, someone can keep it up, it always works. Also, it looks dorky as hell.

https://www.amazon.com/Heavyhands-Walki ... 0878576924

Thanks.

The Exercise doesn't seem that dorky.
It seems to be 1 of the 6 exercises that helped despite having a genetic risk for obesity.

Trip wrote:
Researchers identified six exercises that seemingly helped participants keep their body weight lower despite having a genetic risk for obesity.

The number one activity

Jogging

followed by:

– Walking
Power walking
– Mountain climbing
– Long yoga practices
– ‘International standard’ dancing

But the guy on the cover of the book of the Amazon link you posted, now he looks dorky.
Very, very dorky :)
Trip
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:52 am

Dr. Schwartz was the man. He had a tested VO2max of 70 at 70 years of age.

As for an exercise physiology standpoint, it makes sense that it is would work as it is basically a loaded form of walking. Steve Reeves, the famous bodybuilder, added ankle weights to the same exercise as well.

And if you ever see someone doing it in person, it is really dorky. Borders on the insane end of the autistic spectrum as performance art. But very effective. It results in an odd form of generalized endurance if you work up to 15-20% of your total bodyweight. You will need to add straps to the dumbbells after 3-4 pounds and be careful with your wrists. It is easy to damage the ligament there.

But the key point is the stride rate. It must be 100-110 steps/swings per minute. Below that and you lose a lot of the effect.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby Trip on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 am

Peacedog wrote:Dr. Schwartz was the man. He had a tested VO2max of 70 at 70 years of age.

I had fun at Dr. Schwartz's expense but I meant no disrespect. :)
Last edited by Trip on Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trip
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:49 pm

No offense taken.

I've had people quit doing the exercise when someone showed them iPhone videos of their performance.

Dorky, but effective as I like to say.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Return to Off the Topic