PERSPECTIVE: Reality of Wrist Locks

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

PERSPECTIVE: Reality of Wrist Locks

Postby marvin8 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:30 pm

Demonstrating the difference between trying to apply wrist locks before a punch is retracted (almost impossible) and after against a trained fighter.

Stephen Brennan
Published on Aug 9, 2019

Can wrist locks work against an attacker outside of a controlled practice environment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RajmudmbqW4
Last edited by marvin8 on Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Re: PERSPECTIVE: Reality of Wrist Locks

Postby grzegorz on Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:14 pm

Interesting topic.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:04 am

I think if you are dealing with an opponent who has a very low level of skill then yes.

Anyone with significant training will not be stopped with these and that goes for drugged up opponents as well.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby wayne hansen on Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:12 am

I approach Chinna from a different point of view
It is about training in body mechanics not about practical application on the street
I am not saying there isn't places it works on the street but it goes beyond that
Just like bjj there are times it works
The guy in these clips has not trained wrist locks to any degree you can see that by how he apples them
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:06 pm

One may say the OP video demonstrates a small difference in timing. But, it shows the difference between what works and what doesn't.

Can wrist locks (less so), wrist control (or grabbing, arm wrapping, trapping, etc) work? Yes, they have worked many times in certain situations (e.g, distance, etc.). The question is not if they work but, when and how?

One can train (e.g., 1000 x day) for an opponent that throws a punch without retracting it (leaves arm out) or an opponent that retracts their punch. However, potential problems with training for an opponent that leaves their punch out include:

1. learn to chase hands — exposes oneself to an opponent feinting a straight right and throwing a left hook (as stated in the OP video).
2. learn the wrong timing
3. loss of opportunity (time) to learn, develop or practice moves that actually work against someone who retracts their punches.
4. predictability — one may show patterns or intentions
5. slower, out of position, can be countered
6. false sense of security, etc
marvin8
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 pm

IMO, qinna is complementary to striking (da) and grappling (shuai) and not suited to be applied by itself in a real fight.

Also, my rule of thumb for effectively applying qinna is to always establish control over the larger body parts (head, spine, shoulder, hip, etc) and then move onto the smaller joints like elbow, wrist, and fingers.

As shown in the video, most people, when trying to apply qinna, always attempt to grab a hold of the small joints like wrists, hands, and fingers, from the getgo, which is difficult to achieve and unlikely to succeed.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:07 am

When I was training a lot of traditional ju jutsu I got into an altercation with a 'self proclaimed' Gypsy boxer.

We took it outside the pub and the first thing he did was grab me (A VERY unexpected move for someone who claimed they were a gypsy boxer), I immediately applied a wrist lock, elbowing him in the face as i did so and throwing him into a car door headfirst, he this proceeded to hide under the car and shout apologies to me.

While i agree with the general premise of the video ... never say never.
Last edited by middleway on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:59 am

middleway wrote:When I was training a lot of traditional ju jutsu I got into an altercation with a 'self proclaimed' Gypsy boxer.

We took it outside the pub and the first thing he did was grab me (A VERY unexpected move for someone who claimed they were a gypsy boxer), I immediately applied a wrist lock, elbowing him in the face as i did so and throwing him into a car door headfirst, he this proceeded to hide under the car and shout apologies to me.

While i agree with the general premise of the video ... never say never.

Thanks for sharing. However, no one said wrist locks never work. The guy in the video demoed a wrist lock against a knife, gun and after striking. The video was about:
marvin8 wrote:the difference between trying to apply wrist locks before a punch is retracted (almost impossible) and after against a trained fighter.

. . . The question is not if they work but, when and how?

Of course, wrist locks are more likely to work when someone grabs you (grappling distance/situations) rather than before one retracts their punch.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby middleway on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 am

Thanks for sharing. However, no one said wrist locks never work.

I didnt actually say anyone did ... 'never say never' is just a turn of phrase. maybe misused.

The video description is :

Can wrist locks work against an attacker outside of a controlled practice environment?

My response was ... yes ... hence the little story.
Last edited by middleway on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am not servant to the method, the method is servant to me"
Me

My Blog: http://www.martialbody.com/Blog-Research
middleway
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:38 am

middleway wrote:
Thanks for sharing. However, no one said wrist locks never work.

I didnt actually say anyone did ... 'never say never' is just a turn of phrase. maybe misused.

You preceded the phrase with "While"—which can express an idea of opposition (though, although). So, I understood (or misunderstood) it to imply the premise of the video included wrist locks never work:
middleway wrote:While i agree with the general premise of the video ... never say never.

middleway wrote:The video description is :

Stephen Brennan wrote:Can wrist locks work against an attacker outside of a controlled practice environment?

My response was ... yes ... hence the little story.

Thanks for providing an answer and real life situation where it did work. Simultaneous wrist lock and elbow against a grab with an extended arm can be an answer.

Although not exactly the same context, wrist locks (standing and ground) have been used in jiu jitsu tournaments.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby wayne hansen on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:59 am

Over thirty years ago I taught a workmate of mine a few wrist locks
Greg was a good street fighter and a top grade rugby league player
He was working at a soccer club as a barman for a second job
A bit of trouble broke out between some big islanders
Greg walked into the middle of the squirmish took hold of two of their hands and dropped them with simultaneous wrist locks
The rest dropped back and stopped fighting
Order was restored
When Greg told me I was shocked
I told him I never would have tried that
He said yeah but it worked
Funny story I have told many times
Sometimes shit just works as it's designed
Don't put power into the form let it naturally arise from the form
wayne hansen
Wuji

Postby Bao on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 pm

wayne hansen wrote:Sometimes shit just works as it's designed

Absolutely. Shit works when you adapt to the situation.
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:17 pm

Bao wrote:
wayne hansen wrote:Sometimes shit just works as it's designed

Absolutely. Shit works when you adapt to the situation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_kdGe8Ljc
windwalker
Wuji

Postby C.J.W. on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Nice timing and body movement.

But generally I am not a fan of qinna techniques that require you to use both hands to control just one of the opponent's arms -- techniques that tie yourself up both physically and psychologically: "grabbing for the sake of grabbing."

Ideally, you should be able to temporarily control both of his arms with just one hand, leaving the other hand free to apply other techniques in combination, such as joint breaks, strikes, throws, or takedowns.
Last edited by C.J.W. on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.J.W.
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:51 pm

C.J.W. wrote:Nice timing and body movement.

But generally I am not a fan of qinna techniques that require you to use both hands to control just one of the opponent's arms -- techniques that tie yourself up both physically and psychologically: "grabbing for the sake of grabbing."

Ideally, you should be able to temporarily control both of his arms with just one hand, leaving the other hand free to apply other techniques in combination, such as joint breaks, strikes, throws, or takedowns.

Thought it was a good clip illustrating usage in a live setting.

He waited, didn't want to do anything...allowed the other to present the right time,,,didn't force it...

Regarding control...IMO he controlled the others body through the limb.

The choice he had, brake , or throw.

By controlling the whole body ie short throw, the other is unable to do anything,
decisively neutralized in way that prevents any type of counter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_kdGe8Ljc

note: very much reminds me of "roll back"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SileAveIdQ
Last edited by windwalker on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Next

Return to Video Links