Poor Jeffrey Epstein, dangling from a rope

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Poor Jeffrey Epstein, dangling from a rope

Postby Michael on Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:12 pm

everything wrote:wow just wow on the fbi seeing the conspiracy theories as a risk factor for whackos

It gets worse than that. "White nationalism", whatever that is, is now outlawed on most major social media. That happened formally for Facebook after the unspeakable Christchurch mosque shootings, but the ban was already in play.

These inherently vague pejorative labels, such as conspiracy theorist, racist, white nationalist, etc., are overlapping more and more so that large areas of discourse and political dissent, such as wanting change in immigration policy for which Trump was elected, are being marginalized off the public square, becoming heretical, pathologized, or even criminalized. Any criteria for hate speech is not universally applied to the left as it is to the right, and the major tech companies have displayed significant political bias to the left, as shown by recent admissions from Google and other executives coming forward acknowledging that Silicon Valley will use its control over information to prevent Trump being re-elected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu5-VQuFU_g
Michael

Postby chud on Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:34 pm

https://nypost.com/2019/08/10/former-mcc-inmate-theres-no-way-jeffrey-epstein-killed-himself/

There’s no way that man could have killed himself. I’ve done too much time in those units. It’s an impossibility.

Between the floor and the ceiling is like 8 or 9 feet. There’s no way for you to connect to anything.

You have sheets, but they’re paper level, not strong enough. He was 200 pounds — it would never happen.

Could he have done it from the bed? No sir. There’s a steel frame, but you can’t move it. There’s no light fixture. There’s no bars.
chud
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:51 pm

There is nothing wrong with being white, or Asian, or whatever.

I do think that "white male supremacy" is an idea that does not really help (it just makes people angry) - a more correct name would be "majority supremacy" - e.g. in Japan, it will be the Japanese males who have power and who can abuse it.

"Majority supremacy" happens because a majority has power (not because of the innate power of your skin color).

But there is definitely too much extremism in the US these days - on both sides.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:41 pm

a more correct name would be "majority supremacy" - e.g. in Japan, it will be the Japanese males who have power

I think the whole point of a democracy is that the "minority" is protected. For instance, the argument is made that presidential elections shouldn't be decided by the popular vote: i.e., by who wins the majority of votes. It's alleged that it's done to protect the people in the smaller states. The logic can be debated, but the point is why it was done --one of many measures instituted to prevent "mob rule." That fear came out of the European experience where, when Catholics were "supreme", Protestants were persecuted, and vice versa when the positions of power were reversed. Because the opposite of "supremacy" is subservience and powerlessness.

But, let's talk about that word "majority" in terms of the US. I totally disagree with the comparison to Japan. Americans are in the majority here unless one subdivides them into groups that ignore nationality. I.e. "white male" isn't a national group in the US. People from Ireland and Italy were discriminated against when they came to this country. There were lynchings of Catholics by the "majority" Protestants. But, my point is that the Japanese majority in Japan should correlate to an American majority in America. It'd be like saying that Japanese people with blood type B had supremacy over people with blood type A. Why? Because there are statistically more of them?

But, forget race. If there are more females than males, shouldn't females have supremacy? I know. That doesn't make sense. How about, if women make up 50% of the population, shouldn't they have half the power? Does supremacy --anywhere, in any case-- only need 50.1 percent? It's just me, but if I were to devise a government (of, by, and) for the people, I'd want to make sure that all citizens could rely on being treated equally by that government.

The other thing about the idea of supremacy is that it's always quite disappointing for the majority of people who think they have it. In fact, they rightly laugh when they're accused of having "privilege." They know better. You can't eat privilege. The problem, of course, is that they expect the advantages of supremacy, but they don't feel it. Well, I'm talking about the "majority." If they were all doing great, there'd be no reason to complain about how they're being held back.

Anyway, afa extremism and sides, I'm always lost. I prefer to talk in terms of murders and murderers. They're clearer concepts than extremism. I don't need to know which side. There were lots of mass shootings in the US with no one claiming any "side." Often it turned out they had been bullied. Remember the extensive anti-bullying campaign of a few years back? Then there were the efforts to blame the shootings on anti-depressants. My point is only that sides are irrelevant; reasons given by rational people are relevant.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby edededed on Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:08 am

Hi Steve,

You are right that it is not just numbers that gives the power - a lot of the power is kind of arbitrary and dependent upon preexisting institutions/culture (e.g. certain white Americans are the majority in the US, but males and females are about the same in number). In Japan, the minorities tend to be more "invisible" compared to America, but there are still Koreans and Chinese and "burakumin" (people who historically were the lowest class), etc. - so the "majority supremacy" can still be wielded. But often (perceived) race is a major component of it. (But you are right that it is not only dependent on majority in numbers - it sounds a bit better than "empowered group supremacy" though.)

Incidentally, many minorities in America just have no ability to experience being the empowered group - whether they live in the US or try going back to the "homeland" (where they will be discriminated in different ways).

My problem with extremism is that it snuffs out reasoning - people should focus on what we agree on first - more logic and less emotion. The result now is that people just are not having a dialog, which means that it is then just a matter of which side will have more people.
edededed
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:28 am

My problem with extremism is that it snuffs out reasoning - people should focus on what we agree on first - more logic and less emotion.

Well, I think "extremism" is just too vague. It just leads to people equating the throwing an egg or a protest to planting a bomb or a mass murder. You're absolutely right about the emotion and dialog. It's complicated, but can be reduced to "People are sensitive to what others say about them."

And, when I say "people," I mean members of the species homo sapiens. I don't need to know anything else about them --sex, imagined race, age, etc. I consider any "logical" decision based on those factors to be stupidity, so I just don't do it.

But, back on topic. Afa Epstein, the autopsy reportedly indicates broken bones in his neck --which are more consistent with homicide than suicide. That's one step forward. Well, that is if one believes the NYC coroner's office. :) I mean, any good conspiracy includes the coroner. However, the evidence points more toward murder, Occam's razor suggests that conclusion.

Now, if true, the question is who strangled Epstein to death. That's hands-on work. A prisoner? How'd one get into his cell? But, why would a prisoner attempt to make it look like a suicide (in a room where hanging oneself would be impossible --acc/to chud's article). Then again, the first alleged suicide attempt could have been, as Peacedog suggested, a botched earlier attack. After all, either someone was able to get to him in his cell then or he was able to attempt suicide.

As I said, if this was intelligence agency stuff, then the coroner is part of the system. Or, some CIA operators really screwed up and left broken bones and bruises. I still say that a good heart-attack inducing drug would have been simpler.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:07 pm

Breaking news, they found the reason why the video cameras outside Epstein's cell weren't working. It appears the installer had a conflict of interest.

Michael

Postby Michael on Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:00 pm

Michael

Postby Michael on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:32 am

Michael

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Michael wrote:Image

The guard should be wearing gigant headphones as well. Would be more funny.
...and probably more accurate as well... -bolt-
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:50 pm

Michael wrote:Image

The guard should be wearing gigant headphones as well. Or maybe a hearing aid in his ear. Would be more funny.
...and probably more accurate as well... -bolt-
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:11 am

I think he has a bluetooth headset in his right ear. ;)
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:35 pm

Americans Say Murder More Likely Than Suicide in Epstein Case

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/august_2019/americans_say_murder_more_likely_than_suicide_in_epstein_case

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that only 29% of American Adults believe Epstein actually committed suicide while in jail. Forty-two percent (42%) think Epstein was murdered to prevent him from testifying against powerful people with whom he associated. A sizable 29% are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Despite the Rasmussen poll showing that only 29% of US Americans believe the official story that Epstein committed suicide under a series of highly irregular circumstances, Vox implies if you are one of the 71% who don't, then you are a potential domestic terrorist anti-vaxxer nutjob.

Social media’s conspiracy theory problem isn’t going away
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Oh Prince Harry!

What have you got yourself into?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic