Hong Kong Protests

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Hong Kong Protests

Postby Trick on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:05 am

[quote]Beijing needs to understand that preserving Hong Kong’s capitalist system distinct from the rest of China is in its own best interests. It entails adherence to free-market capitalism[quote] Beijing of course understand this very well, but we should worry about the naive students that has taken to the streets seriously obstructing the usual hustling and bustling commerce of HK
Trick

Postby windwalker on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:14 am

Beijing of course understand this very well, but we should worry about the naive students that has taken to the streets seriously obstructing the usual hustling and bustling commerce of HK

Not only do they understand it they're taking steps to develop other centers.

Which will tend to mitigate if not eliminate the role HK plays now. 22ys and counting. HK will be like any other major Chinese City.

Visa requirement will probably go away for the mainlanders visiting HK and those in HK visiting the mainland.
Last edited by windwalker on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:30 am

You guys remind me of people cheering when Putin's troops rolled into Ukraine.

Funny I remember Swedes having a business in Shanghai. They paid their workers shit and treated them like shit. I was surprised and shocked. I figured they, being westerners, would be different.

Yeah! These HKers have no idea what life in the mainland is...

Still good to see the PRC kicks Trump's ass all over the place. How any Trump supporter even shows their face is beyond me.
Last edited by grzegorz on Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:14 am

grzegorz wrote:Funny I remember Swedes having a business in Shanghai. They paid their workers shit and treated them like shit. I was surprised and shocked. I figured they, being westerners, would be different.

What Swedish company was that, I curiously ask ?
Trick

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:41 am

windwalker wrote:
Beijing of course understand this very well, but we should worry about the naive students that has taken to the streets seriously obstructing the usual hustling and bustling commerce of HK

Not only do they understand it they're taking steps to develop other centers.

Which will tend to mitigate if not eliminate the role HK plays now. 22ys and counting. HK will be like any other major Chinese City.

Visa requirement will probably go away for the mainlanders visiting HK and those in HK visiting the mainland.

Shenzhen, HK, Macau, Zhuhai Megalopolis....Something that can be a reality if just jealous US mind their own business.... 8-)
Trick

Postby windwalker on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:22 am

Trick wrote: Shenzhen, HK, Macau, Zhuhai Megalopolis....Something that can be a reality if just jealous US mind their own business.... 8-)

Agree

"Jealous"

Don't know about the emotion. What's some say about HK comes from a skewed view of what they feel democracy is.

Don't understand the argument that some are trying to make. HK is part of China the agreement made was to allow the transition to be gradual over time.

The demonstrations going on now only speed up the process, they can't stop it.

HK as many issues being rolled into something that will not help to improve them.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:45 am

Why is the US jealous? What do y'all mean by the US, anyway?

I think many USAmericans have nothing at all against China, but think that the government is repressive. They don't think HK should be independent or rebellious. They were happy when HK was out of British rule. But none the them have anything to do with US policy or action.

They just think HKers should be able to decide for themselves how they live. That's what everyone wants. Neither the PRC or the USA is successful, but in America it was an ideal.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bao on Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:16 pm

grzegorz wrote:
Bao wrote:
Beijing needs to understand that preserving Hong Kong’s capitalist system distinct from the rest of China is in its own best interests. It entails adherence to free-market capitalism

Yes HK people wants to preserve their own system. They should obviously be allowed to do it. Which includes the longest working hours in the world and no public pension. Many work til they die. It's also their own free capitalist system that has let Mainland Chinese interests to take over parts of the HK economy. Less capitalism and more concern for their own local people and interests would do them good IMHO. :P

Yeah because the PRC has it much much better. ::)

Wow. Now you are ridiculous. Or just want to act a dick? Did I say anything about if PRC has it better?? ??? Did I do any comparison? ??? I spoke about the HK system only.

Please just block me or ignore all my posts. Or at least don’t comment anything I write. You obviously can not read anything with reading your own prejudice into it. :P
Thoughts on Tai Chi (My Tai Chi blog)
- Storms make oaks take deeper root. -George Herbert
- To affect the quality of the day, is the highest of all arts! -Walden Thoreau
Bao
Great Old One

Postby Trick on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:20 am

Steve James wrote:
They just think HKers should be able to decide for themselves how they live. That's what everyone wants. Neither the PRC or the USA is successful, but in America it was an ideal.

HK is China. The extradition bill was aimed to be used against criminals, what’s so wrong with that. Lawfully HKers are free to go on with their businesses, isn’t that good.
Criminals in the US gets locked up, And Lawfully US’ers can go on with their businesses?
Trick

Postby Franklin on Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:52 am

this is just too funny that people are arguing about this

especially when during the umbrella protests
the local people of mangkok area even went on the news speaking with beijing accent about how they are against the protestors...
lol

that should have pretty much settled everything
;D
Franklin
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 am

Nothing to argue about.

HK is part of china/
In 22 yrs the agreement a transition
ends if not sooner depending on what happens with the current protests.

According to some news outlets China is considering or building other centers to take the
place mitigating the impact of of HK.

"On November 30, 2015, the International Monetary Fund awarded the yuan status as a reserve currency. The IMF added the yuan to its Special Drawing Rights basket on October 1, 2016. This basket currently includes the euro, Japanese yen, British pound, and U.S. dollar. "

https://www.thebalance.com/yuan-reserve ... cy-3970465

As the rmb becomes more international, other centers developed HK historical role wont matter as much.
The structural problems they have now will still be there....

"At present, around 70 percent of Hong Kong’s fresh water is being imported from the Dongjiang River in the neighboring Guangdong province."

http://www.ejinsight.com/20180104-hong- ... er-supply/
Last edited by windwalker on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:58 am

HK is China. The extradition bill was aimed to be used against criminals, what’s so wrong with that. Lawfully HKers are free to go on with their businesses, isn’t that good.

I never meant that HK wasn't part of China. My point was that HKers are people, and have a right to complain, protest, and criticize their government. I am not a Hker, though, and I don't really know what motivates them. The only thing I disagree with is the idea that the "US" is convincing millions of people to protest for no reason. Afa the extradition law, I can only guess that the HKers are worried about how it will be used. I.e., who will be considered a criminal.

Anyway, advocating for the devil, I'd argue that just because they're Chinese doesn't mean that China can do whatever it likes to them. Does the US government have the right to do anything it wants to American citizens? Does the Swedish government have the right to do whatever it wants to Swedes because they're Swedish? If a million Swedes protested in Malmo, what would be an acceptable reaction?

I think the situation is far more complex than this simplistic internet argument with vague villains. Neither the PRC, the "US", or the HKers are completely right or wrong.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:50 pm

Trick wrote:
grzegorz wrote:Funny I remember Swedes having a business in Shanghai. They paid their workers shit and treated them like shit. I was surprised and shocked. I figured they, being westerners, would be different.

What Swedish company was that, I curiously ask ?

I have to desire to publicly ridicule that business or people from my past for that matter but it was a small one.

My point is in the mainland management can do whatever they want to with their workers. No overtime, no rights, nothing. But to suggest that HK should just accept it makes me think that some here are concerned that speaking oit against the mainland may get their visas and revoked and it may.

Btw, pensions don't exist in the US either. Unless you have a government job, police, fire or are lucky enough to have a union pension the twilight years won't be fun.

These are coal miners who Trumpsky said he would save snd he hasn't done a damn thing for them.

Watch "Blackjewel miners protest after bankruptcy leaves them without pay" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/mKAECoP_Me8
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:58 pm

Shenzhen, HK, Macau, Zhuhai Megalopolis....Something that can be a reality if just jealous US mind their own business.... 8-)

No one here is jealous China's success except Trump supporters have been convinced that China is the source of their misery when it was actually GOP policies, the destruction of unions and free trade. Yes, Clinton Dems weren't much better either believing that being Republican light after the Reagan years and gearing up for the third wave was the way to go. The third wave worked well where I live but it wasn't universal.

It is worth mentioning that the other economic centers of China were modelled after HK.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:14 pm

I think some stick with the CIA conspiracy theories because otherwise they would actually have to think and listen to the people of HK.

The pro-Putin people on here did the same when the Russians invaded Ukraine.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic