Set up 2 on 1

Discussion on the three big Chinese internals, Yiquan, Bajiquan, Piguazhang and other similar styles.

Set up 2 on 1

Postby johnwang on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:44 pm

When you use 2 hands to control your opponent 1 arm, you will give your opponent 1 free arm to punch you. IMO, it's better to control your opponent's free arm as long as you can before you apply 2 on 1.

Here is 1 way to set up 2 on 1. Your thought?

Crow weep in the dark. Tide bellow in the north wind. How lonesome the world.
johnwang
Great Old One

Re: Set up 2 on 1

Postby dspyrido on Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:19 am

I think as an exercise it's useful because it teaches twisting arms both inwards and outwards when at that contact range.

I am sure you've got a lot more moves around it to do things like avoid getting hit on the way in, how to handle someone with monster arms or someone who decides to drop down and do a double leg etc. etc. Plus also what happens next.
dspyrido
Wuji

Postby Drake on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:28 am

One hand covers two. Two hands for leverage after the opponent is off balance, and you're position to follow through/up. This clip shows a lack of experience, imo, in contact <<shrug>>
Last edited by Drake on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best,

Drake
Drake
Great Old One

Postby .Q. on Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:52 pm

In that situation I use what I call "Flag hands" to enter. It is similar to what you're doing but the instant I touch his back hand I flow into a strike. I'm not expecting to be able to have full control of his hands. To have the time to flow into that leg jam kind of makes it even tougher. If you specialize in it I wouldn't be surprised you can use it, but I expect you'd have to be better than the opponent to pull this off.
I find it's not that rare to encounter an opportunity to use flag hands, which surprised me because I was taught it but we don't use it often in class. Some opponents have a habit of holding their hands a certain way trying to cut your path off where this is a good counter against.
.Q.
Wuji

Postby Dmitri on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:37 am

Even an untrained person will likely step back as you step forward, preventing you from pinning his "free" arm to his body, and therefore allowing him to potentially take your side/back
Last edited by Dmitri on Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dmitri
Great Old One

Postby yeniseri on Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 am

Dmitri wrote:Even an untrained person will likely step back as you step forward, preventing you from pinning his "free" am to his body, and therefore allowing him to potentially take your side/back

If you look closely, it can be a setup and the one who applies the response the 'fastest' or at best adroitly, will show skill.
When fascism comes to US America, It will be wrapped in the US flag and waving a cross. An astute patriot
yeniseri
Wuji

Return to Xingyiquan - Baguazhang - Taijiquan