BREXIT

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: BREXIT

Postby Trick on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:43 am

oragami_itto wrote:
GrahamB wrote:I don't think I've got enough tattoos to exist in Brexit Britain come October. Can anyone recommend me something to help me blend in? I'm thinking maybe a tasteful union jack design around the midriff...

Suggestions?

Get this on your wrists. Let people know you about that cash money.

even that England is an EU member theyre not in the monetary union........But tattooed on the wrist no need, soon when the complete cashless world will be an reality , your(our?) governments pulls out from their sleeves the microchips to be inserted in our wrist. no more cash or cards or passwords that can be lost ,forgotten or stolen
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:04 pm

cloudz wrote:
grzegorz wrote:
cloudz wrote:YESSS!!!
Finally

Boris is riding to the rescue.
keep calm, everything will be allright by christmas.

I read that Boris wrote papers for and against Brexit and believed that by arguing for Brexit he would have more political opportunities so he became a Brexit man.

It's obvious to me that like Trumpsky that these politicians are nothing more than opportunists looking for ways to promote themselves and willing to destroy society to get there.

so he's "destroying society" by suspending our parliament for a bit. one that's been fairly fucking useless in agreeing a deal.

Fuck them anyway.

Deal or no deal was always the right way to approach this. A remainer should never have been negotiating in the first place.
Teresa May fucked all this by losing ground so miserably to that moron Corbyn.

They will sort out some shit over the backstop and we will have trading deal with Europe.
This time next year this will all be blown over.
I know i'm sticking my neck out saying this, but the tempation of being the I told you so guy is just way too damn strong!!

Computer says no...

(Love Britcom.)

Wishful thinking at best but that is (what you said) the salespitch. That everything would be fine and England back to its former glory. Yet being an older man I spent time in the UK in the early nineties and no offense but I didn't see much glory back in the pre-EU days so I see no reason to see glory in the post EU days to make me think that in a year everything will be fine and dandy.

I remember an England where most young people were on the dole, especially up North and everything in London was so expensive that people didn't have much of a life beyond the pub.

It could work out but I already posted a few pages back of all the companies leaving England and I imagine the list will continue for about a decade or so.

Anyway, I hope things do work out but as you say I f@#$ these wreckless politicians!

Boris and Trump for that matter give no f@#$s about you or me respectively so I say f@#% them!

Btw, Trump stated everyone here would see four grand more a year from all his winning. -lol-

So yeah, I have seen this film once before.

Also worth mentioning that even as someone as dim witted as Trump seems to recognize that a recession is on the horizon. The timing couldn't be worse.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Trick on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:50 am

Trick wrote:
Steve James wrote: Europe has a consistent history of self destruction. Sweden and Switzerland avoided much by remaining neutral. There's no wonder they hesitate to join EU.

Otoh, the Earth is a globe and we're stuck on it.

yes, a lot of wars has been fought in europe, while sweden managed to stay out of ww1&2(it was planned so that swe&swiss be "neutral") sweden has played quite big roles in previous european wars https://www.sweden.org.za/the-military- ... weden.html Now an EU armed forces will be built up, probably Russia will be/is the boogeyman reason for this, ..

sorry drifting away a lttle from the british exit......yesterday the swedish social democratic ruling party decided that taxes has to increase because more money for the armed forces is needed it must be expanded..........it almost as i sit here with a crystal ball 8-)
Trick

Postby grzegorz on Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:31 pm

https://www.ns-businesshub.com/transpor ... er-brexit/

From Dyson to JPMorgan, here are the companies that could leave the UK after Brexit

TRANSPORTPOPULARAPPS

By Felix Todd  14 May 2019

In the event of a no-deal scenario, a wide number of companies have made plans to leave the UK after Brexit, with the likes of Dyson and Nissan expressing concern over the potential business impact of crashing out of the EU

The sheer number of companies potentially leaving the UK after Brexit tops the list of business concerns over a no-deal scenario with the EU come March.

A swath of Japanese firms, which together employ about 150,000 in Britain, have warned they will relocate their headquarters, or are already in the process of doing so, as a result of the country’s failure to secure an arrangement with the bloc thus far.

The Netherlands appears to be the preferred location for a new home for many of these firms, with the Netherlands Foreign Investment Agency apparently in talks with more than 250 businesses on the matter – while Frankfurt could be the new destination for banks.

Here we take a closer look at the companies leaving the UK after Brexit – or those who’ve threatened to, at the least – and what’s driving their decisions.

Companies leaving the UK after Brexit

Nissan

Japanese automaker Nissan opened its North East England car factory in 1986 because of Britain’s EU membership, which enables it to trade freely with other countries inside the union – without customs checks or extra tariffs.

Employing more than 7,000 people, it is one of the most productive in Europe, producing more cars per worker than any other car plant on the continent.

But in October last year, the company warned a no-deal Brexit would cause major problems for the factory.

It said in a statement that leaving the EU’s single market and customs union, and instead joining the World Trade Organization, would be detrimental to its operation.

This was followed by another Nissan statement on 3 February, which confirmed its new X-Trail model will be built in Japan rather than Sunderland – marking a U-turn after originally agreeing in 2016 to build it in the UK.

It said Brexit uncertainty wasn’t helping businesses “plan for the future”.

Sony

Japanese electronics conglomerate Sony has said it will move its European headquarters out of Weybridge in the UK to a site in the Netherlands to avoid customs issues associated with Brexit.

The company reportedly plans to complete the move by March.

It claimed the move will have no impact on personnel or operations in the UK, although its European division will become an EU company following Britain’s departure.

Panasonic

Another Japanese electronics giant, Panasonic announced in August last year it would move its European headquarters from Bracknell, Berkshire, to Dutch capital Amsterdam in October.

Europe CEO Laurent Abadie told Quartz: “We have been studying this for almost one year, and evaluating everything, and then we decided a few months ago to move forward.

“We cannot wait until March and then if something really goes wrong, bad, or good – I cannot judge – but if there’s no agreement by March, then immediately on 1 April, there will be customs clearance, duties and fees, so we see a big risk.

“After Brexit, the UK cannot be the entry door to Europe any more, that’s a fact.”

The company has said no UK business operations will be affected by the move, and roughly ten employees out of a staff of 30 would be relocated.

Airbus

Aerospace giant Airbus called the UK government’s handling of Brexit “a disgrace” last month and warned it may pull out of the country if it leaves the EU without a deal.

In a video statement released on 24 January, Airbus CEO Tom Enders said: “If there is a no-deal Brexit, we at Airbus will have to make potentially very harmful decisions for the UK.

“Aerospace is a long-term business and we could be forced to redirect future investment in the event of a no-deal Brexit.”

The company employees 14,000 people in the UK, while supporting a further 110,000 via the supply chain.

Jaguar Land Rover

A UK minister has warned British automaker Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), which is already in the midst of a widespread restructure that’s costing 4,500 jobs, could close if the UK cannot secure a deal with EU before it leaves the bloc.

Richard Harrington, of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, told the BBC: “I’m afraid of Jaguar closing, Mini closing, the life sciences industry closing and all the other things.”

“I’ve seen what may well happen with this cut-off date, crashing out in my view is an absolute disaster.

“It’s not a road to a free trade agreement, it’s not a road to anything – it’s an absolute disaster for the country and it’s supported by a minority of a minority of people.”

JLR, headquartered in Coventry, employs more than 40,000 people in the UK.

P&O

In order to keep its tax arrangements with the EU, British ferry and freight operator P&O will re-register its six UK vessels in Cyprus before Brexit comes to fruition.

A spokesman for the company said: “In advance of Britain leaving the European Union, we undertook a review of the flag status of our ships on the English Channel.

“For operational and accounting reasons, we have concluded that the best course of action is to re-flag all ships to be under the Cyprus flag.”

This will result in significantly more favourable tonnage tax arrangements as the ships will be flagged in an EU member state”.

The company said no impact will be had on its employees as a result of the change.

JPMorgan

Banking giant JPMorgan is planning to move 4,000 of its 16,000 UK employees out of the country as a result of Brexit, which the company says is now “past the point of no return”.

Mark Gavin, vice-chairman of the company’s corporate and investment banking division, reportedly told the Commons Treasury Committee his firm was making progress on its plans to move operations out of Britain, which began in August 2016.

He told the Independent: “We are in the very advanced phases of execution. In fact, a number of these initiatives are already in flight and in many cases we have passed the point of no return – they are happening.”

Dyson

Despite having argued in the past that Brexit could prove beneficial to British business, Sir James Dyson announced last month his company would be moving its head office from the UK to Singapore.

It will also manufacture its upcoming range of electric cars in the country, rather than in Britain as it had originally planned.

Chief executive Jim Rowan said: “The move is nothing to do with Brexit or tax – it’s about making sure we are future proofed.

“There are huge revenue opportunities in Singapore – China is the poster child of that.

“The tax difference is negligible for us, we are taxed all over the world and we will continue to pay tax in the UK.

“We will continue to invest in the UK, in Malmesbury, in Bristol and London.”

Ford

In February 2019, US automotive giant Ford said a no-deal Brexit would harm its manufacturing operations in the UK.

A company statement read: “Such a situation would be catastrophic for the UK auto industry and Ford’s manufacturing operations in the country.

“We will take whatever action is necessary to preserve the competitiveness of our European business.”

The news comes after the Unite union said the automaker plans to cut almost 1,000 jobs at its Bridgend plant over the next two years – though Ford declined to comment on this claim.

The Times reported the Michigan-based firm is already planning alternative sites outside of the UK where it could move its manufacturing operations.

Ford employs 13,000 people at its UK sites in Bridgend, Halewood, Dunton and Dagenham.

Honda

Japanese car manufacturer Honda announced in February 2019 it planned to close its Swindon factory in 2021 – a decision that was confirmed in May.

Closure of the plant, which builds 160,000 Honda Civic models each year – a tenth of the UK’s vehicle production – will result in 3,500 job losses and affecting another 10,000 in the supply chain, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT).

Although the company did not blame Brexit – instead saying the need to build more electric vehicles sped up the need for change – industry commentators believe it will have played a part and Honda has voiced its opinion about the disruption a no-deal Brexit would bring.

Business Secretary Greg Clark also linked the political uncertainty with Honda’s announcement, telling the EEF manufacturing conference that “decisions like Honda’s shows starkly how much is at stake”.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:40 pm

From the FT:

UK citizens who have retired in EU countries were warned on Sunday that they might lose annual increases to their state pensions if Britain leaves the EU without a deal.

Yes! 90% of them are so lunatic that they voted for Brexit. Now they get what they deserve. Poetic!
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:36 pm

I was wondering what would happen to all the Brits living on the continent.

I was actually one affected by the EU expanding into Central and Eastern Europe. Before it was easier for Yanks to work there to teach English but after the EU came in it was tougher because most would just hire UK citizens to avoid all the hassles of visas and red tape.

Needless to say I am not surprised that the UK will now be treated as I was as a Yank. That is why open an office or a factory in the UK and deal with all the red tape just to sell your product in Slovenia when you can easily open the same place in Holland and not have to deal with all those headaches?

I guess just as some UK citizens can say screw the EU then corporations can say screw the UK.

I am no fan of multinational corporations but to believe a fantasy that they will kill to do business in a post Brexit UK is jist not something I see evidence of.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:40 pm

I should add that I am not a cheerleader for seeing the UK's economy collapse. I am a skeptic who believes that the same snake oil sales pitch which worked in the UK is the same one which worked in the US presidential race. Although Trump got less votes he played on people's hopes, fears, anger and promised that everything would be bigger, better and greater. Promises were made of what people wanted to hear and nothing happened but tax breaks for the corporations, the same corporations which caused all the pain and suffering of the working class.
Last edited by grzegorz on Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby cloudz on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:53 am

grzegorz wrote:
Wishful thinking at best but that is (what you said) the salespitch. That everything would be fine and England back to its former glory. Yet being an older man I spent time in the UK in the early nineties and no offense but I didn't see much glory back in the pre-EU days so I see no reason to see glory in the post EU days to make me think that in a year everything will be fine and dandy.

No one said anything about ANY former glories. FYI I had no allusions to any past "former glories".
Whatever you think they exactly are.

The 1970's maybe ?

If you must know, I just meant before our communities, political and social life has been overun and dominated by this craziness that is not so earth shattering in my personal opinion.

That it has become this life and death struggle with apparently so much on the line.
It's a fantasy story whcih i don't buy into to be frank with you.

We will still eat, drink, shit, pay the bills, buy stuff, sell stuff, make a profit, make a loss, buy a house, buy a car, build a road, hospital and create a job or two.
I personally have no idea why so many people are shitting in their pants at the prospect of brexit and or no deal brexit.

You would think no one ever suffered or passed a tough time ever in their life. it's beyond pathetic all this moaning and fear mongering.

I remember an England where most young people were on the dole, especially up North and everything in London was so expensive that people didn't have much of a life beyond the pub.

Good, because that's where we are heading back to and worse; if you beleive the hype.

I don't; normal cyclical recessions not with standing.
You realise this is the longest bull market in history and Central Bank manipulations have kept it going artificially ?

So yes, we are staring a global recession square in the nuts.
So what, fuck that too.

It could work out but I already posted a few pages back of all the companies leaving England and I imagine the list will continue for about a decade or so.

No, it will work out that all this bollox has been blown out so far of all proportion that I'm chatting about it with someone living thousands of miles away and seems to care, personally, about something that will not effect them directly in 100 lifteimes. Save your sympathies for someone who needs them.

Also worth mentioning that even as someone as dim witted as Trump seems to recognize that a recession is on the horizon. The timing couldn't be worse.

Sadly, for you, he's the best president you have had for years. Even if he is a giant goofball with the finesse of an elephant. Not to mention his terrorist levels of political incorrectness.
Last edited by cloudz on Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
George

London UK
cloudz
Great Old One

Postby Peacedog on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:14 am

Cloudz,

I'm with you on this one although, admittedly as an American, am merely watching from the sidelines. The idea that any of this is a cataclysmic event is really overstated.

I think the main issue here is that too many have absorbed globalism as a religion and therefore any violation of scripture is heresy.

The last time I was in London a few years ago it felt nothing like the UK let alone an English city. I cannot imagine just how annoying this would be to the English themselves.

Somewhere along the way someone forgot that countries exist to benefit their inhabitants. And those inhabitants get to determine who is part of the club and who isn't. It is nice to see people reasserting their rights via efforts like Brexit.

As for any economic fallout, sure you are going to see some churn in the immediate aftermath mainly caused by short term uncertainty. But between European dependency upon UK oil and finance something will get worked out.

If anything, the UK may catch a real break on US agricultural imports once they are out from under the punitive import tariffs via the EU. Trump has more than hinted at such. If so, enjoy the West Texas beef and Wisconsin cheese. Both are excellent. Even Californian wine is pretty top notch these days as compared to French.

As for free movement, that is what visas are for in any event. And as I have mentioned before, I cannot see the advantage to any country in having large numbers of foreigners living within their borders long term who make no movement to become citizens. If it were up to me, people on residency cards would get one issuance for five years and then have to choose between citizenship or dropping back down to annual visas. In other words, join the club or get the F out.

I am curious to see where all of this goes with Brexit and wish the UK the best.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby windwalker on Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:53 am

If it were up to me, people on residency cards would get one issuance for five years and then have to choose between citizenship or dropping back down to annual visas. In other words, join the club or get the F out.

Taiwan has something similar to this.

The residency card is only good for 3 years.
During the renewal time they check and verify the conditions whereby it is renewed.

There was one person I believe an american guy who did renounce his citizenship and became a Taiwanese citizen.

Visas for China, issued in the US can extend up to 10 years, multiple entry. Don't know if this is changed
Last edited by windwalker on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:57 am

Windy,

Yeah that's the thing that tends to get lost in these "free movement" arguments vis-à-vis Schengen, etc. As a foreigner living in another country, you are only allowed to be there if it benefits that country. You could always live in a foreign country previous to this, you just needed to prove you had a reason for doing so in order to earn a visa. And Western countries tend to have pretty liberal stances on this (marriage, family reunification, etc.).

Generally this is because you have a skill the locals do not have or are providing an investment in said country. Outside of that a local can do it. And by virtue of that, you don't need to. For this reason alone, Schengen never made any sense, except as a method to drop labor costs in favor of foreigners over locals. Which tends to piss the locals off.
Peacedog
Great Old One

Postby grzegorz on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:26 pm

No, it will work out that all this bollox has been blown out so far of all proportion that I'm chatting about it with someone living thousands of miles away and seems to care, personally, about something that will not effect them directly in 100 lifteimes. Save your sympathies for someone who needs them.

F@#$ that bull@#$@!

I don't live in Xinjiang either but I can still have an opinion on it.

I was also out of the military during the second invasion of Iraq does that mean I just have to go with it?

It's the internet mate, everyone can express their opinions on anything including Graham on US gun voilence. People only go to that one when they can't win an argument.

I tell you what though I would have been interested in living in the UK as a Yank with my EU wife and kids. I have been around Brits for about 5 years and somehow I generally find that I can identify with the English better than most Yanks, except for the uptight ones that is.

I would have been happy to retire to the island with my pension and savings and giving my wife the ability to fly home in an hour but now it's not going to happen. Too bad really, it would have been cool to do acupuncture in the UK as a retiree. I have been told that in comparison to here the acupuncture training is better and easier to get licensed whereas here it is anything but easy and can cost an arm and leg.

No biggie. One door closed and and opens but it seems to me that if you really believe all is well then you'd stop posting and go live your life.

Btw, it probably will affect me in a positive way. The UK economy will crash, the world economy will follow and Trump will get his orange ass voted out of office. It will be as glorious as the time England won the world cup! :D

Of course he will cheat just as he does on his taxes and wives so we shall see.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:37 pm

Peacedog,

The Trump also promised 50,000 coal jobs.

Everything he touches turns to sh#t including the UK (much like he is doing with Afganistan).

Btw, he is golfing today while a Hurricane Dorian wreaks havoc.

Sorry Brits but the US won't save you. You are on your own but you may get a Trump tower in East Essex.

Anyone who believes otherwise must have a degree from Trump university.
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby grzegorz on Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:45 pm

A lot of Yanks on this Brit thread.

I don't want to hear anymore whining when a Brit posts on US gun voilence thread.

Got that?
Last edited by grzegorz on Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Peacedog on Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm not sure what Trump has to do with this other than offering the UK nice trade deal if they go through with Brexit. FYI, bilaterals don't really need much time to negotiate if both sides are generally in agreement and my guess is that something is already on the table with the US/UK the second they leave the EU.

People tend to overestimate US influence abroad, especially within the context of developed nations. Simply put, if you are not willing to invade, it all comes down to trade. And yes, that intentionally rhymes.

We can selectively jack people around using financial institutions, but really no reason exists to do this with the UK. If anything, assuming the EU continues to act like a jackass it might result in some interesting US/UK financial sector/taxation team ups. If I were the EU, I'd be mostly worried about this more than anything.
Peacedog
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Off the Topic