Zhang Weili is the first Chinese UFC champion — 42 sec TKO

Rum, beer, movies, nice websites, gaming, etc., without interrupting the flow of martial threads.

Re: Zhang Weili is the first Chinese UFC champion — 42 sec TKO

Postby marvin8 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:36 pm

Michael wrote:https://thefilmstage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/600full-crouching-tiger-hidden-dragon-photo2.jpg

If a woman wants to fight, she should do it the RSF way and rely on internal power.

I should add Zhang Weili is fighting the way (e.g., shenfa, etc.) these taiji guys are fighting.

Wushu Longhuquan
Published on Mar 15, 2017

Han Feilong (Wang Zhanjun school Chenjiagou Village):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND0BBW3uido

Metteyya4461
Published on Oct 8, 2013

Chinese Chen's Taijiquan player Wang Yan and Thai player Vera Chakhan Wow. On September 28, 2013, the highly anticipated "Chen-style Taijiquan against Thailand Muay Thai Contest" kicked off at the Jiaozuo Gymnasium:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RqOGqMNvI

Wushu Longhuquan
Published on Mar 6, 2017

TaiChi School of Master Wang Zhanjun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JzKuoDeWnE

marvin8 wrote:Excerpts from "An interview with Wang Yan, head coach of the Chenjiagou Taijiquan School," https://chentaijisi.wordpress.com/2018/ ... an-school/
vladostaric on March 7, 2018 wrote:From the very beginning Master Chen Ziqiang was my main teacher. At that time, he was not travelling abroad so much, so I was trained by him consistently and regularly. There were also other coaches besides him at the school, helping me with different aspects of the training. I was taught, for example, some external martial arts as well, particularly sanda and shaolin kungfu. . . .

Wang Yan training with his master Chen Ziqiang in 2016 (photo: personal archive of Wang Yan)

Other types of training, on the contrary, were quite demanding: we did a lot of weight lifting, stretching, also other strength excercises to develop fitness and muscular abilities. When a student grows a little older, reaching his late teens and early twenties, then the school starts putting much more attention to learning taolu (forms).

Could you share some memories from competitions?

. . . During the Henan Jimiao Sai competition in 2010 (or maybe the year before?) I was one point away from losing. Then, somehow, I managed to turn it around and in the end beat the opponent by fifteen points. This competition was a particularly memorable experience for me.

Wang Yan winning Chenjiagou competition in 2014 (photo: personal archive of Wang Yan)

Wang Yan in combat training in 2016 (photo: personal archive of Wang Yan)

marvin8 wrote:"Q&A with Master Chen Bing:"

moving stillness on 2017-06-01 wrote:Master Chen Bing is a descendant of the Chen family that developed Taijiquan in Chenjiagou. At the age of six he started learning the family art from his uncles Chen Xiaowang and Chen Xiaoxing. . . .

Traces of Bamboo Rice Bowl: How good is Chen Style Taijiquan in combat? Can you guys compete with MMA fighters and win?

Chen Bing: Dear Traces of Bamboo Rice Bowl, Chen Taiji is fairly well known for its combat applications. Whether it could overtake MMA fighters depends on the game rules. Under MMA rules, taijiquan no doubt has a bigger chance of losing; under taiji sparring rules, MMA could also have an advantage of “fighting the long with the short”. Losing is not a big deal, one can always reflect and refine [their skills]. Throughout history which martial art has not lost once?

New Beginning: Taijiquan, dare to take on a supermatch with Sanda?

Chen Bing: Greetings New Beginning! Are you just curious, or do you have some particularly fascinating ideas? Sanda originated from traditional wushu but exceeds folk martial arts in many aspects including training methods, intensity, practical combat applications, body recovery, nutrition, as well as selection of athletes. Though related, there are many differences [between taijiquan and sanda]. Why not learn from each other and improve together? I think that would be more pragmatic and important than calling dares.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:53 pm

ESPN MMA
Published on Sep 3, 2019

New UFC champion Zhang Weili sits down on Ariel Helwani's MMA Show to discuss being the new UFC women's strawweight champion, what it's like to be a big star in China, potentially fighting Henry Cejudo or Valentina Shevchenko and more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwo2o0A8MCA
marvin8
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:06 am

She’s probably juiced (proper testing in China?)

But I also heard a strong rumour that she practiced golden bell chi gong to help with the impact and rubs snake blood on her elbows.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:04 am

GrahamB wrote:She’s probably juiced (proper testing in China?)

Not necessarily. Tecia Torres is more muscular than Zhang Weili. Tecia Torres was random drug tested by USADA 8 or 9 times in 2016 and 14 times in 2017. Random drug testing is run around the world by USADA 24/7/365 days. Tecia kind of fails the “smell test,” as USADA puts it, for her overly ripped and muscular physique. However, despite her appearance and despite being one of the most tested fighters of 2017, she tested clean every time:

Tecia Torres faces off with Weili Zhang ahead of their strawweight bout at UFC 235

UFC 218: Tecia Torres, Tied For Most Drug-Tested UFC Fighter, Invites USADA To 'Keep Coming'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwyncU1aSxA&t=2m27s

Excerpts from The 2019 UFC Anti-Doping Athlete Handbook:
The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) is recognized by the UFC® as the official, independent anti-doping agency for the UFC. . . .

As part of the global UFC Anti-Doping Program, which launched in July 2015, USADA works with other independent anti-doping organizations around the world to ensure that all UFC athletes are subject to the anti-doping program run by USADA, no matter where they live, train, or compete. . . .

Athletes are subject to both urine and blood testing 365 days a year and tests can occur at any
time and any place.
The sample collection process is designed to be as safe, comfortable, and consistent as possible for athletes. . . .

Why am I being tested when I don't have a bout scheduled?

Under the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, athletes are subject to out-of-competition, no advance notice testing 365 days a year. This is done to ensure there are no blackout periods during which those looking to gain an unfair advantage could take performance-enhancing drugs without detection. USADA's testing is designed to maximize detection and deterrence in order to ensure athletes are given the opportunity to compete in an Octagon that is fair and level.
Last edited by marvin8 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marvin8
Wuji

Postby marvin8 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:15 am

Ramsey Dewey
Published on Sep 3, 2019

Q&A: How does the recent UFC title win of Zhang Weili affect the MMA business in the People's Republic of China? Shanghai-based Mixed Martial Arts coach and fight commentator Ramsey Dewey responds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9ba9UFyITQ
marvin8
Wuji

Postby aamc on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:59 am

Thought Jack Slack's commentary summed it up, very well. Basically not that big a surprise.
aamc
Wuji

Postby everything on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:16 pm

If everyone does it, it’s irrelevant for a specific champion relative to the others. She still won. Aside from that, who cares what the national origin of the champ is, other than that it’s always nice to see someone from a new location. I could do without all the blind dumb USA USA and China China of some folks.
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby Steve James on Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 pm

What? Didn't you grow up watching pro-wrestling? The object of the UFC is to draw the largest paying audience, not finding out who's the best fighter. China is "the" huge market. If Zheng being champion gives the UFC even a tiny slice of the Chinese market, it'll be profitable.

I don't think many Americans will want to beat Zheng because she's Chinese, or that there is much nationalism in the UFC. There are probably more style rivalries. Does anyone know/remember where Andrei Arlowski was from?

Anyway, I don't think there's any down side. Otoh, if she starts saying that she's also a long time taichi practitioner, ...
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby marvin8 on Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:30 am

everything wrote:If everyone does it, it’s irrelevant for a specific champion relative to the others. She still won. Aside from that, who cares what the national origin of the champ is, other than that it’s always nice to see someone from a new location. I could do without all the blind dumb USA USA and China China of some folks.

Those that want to see more economic opportunity for fighters and trainers in China. Now, CMAists/IMAists can show their art's "superior" skills (e.g. whole body power, six harmonies, listening, fajin, relaxation, bridging, trapping, rooting, moving in, etc.) in the Octagon while earning a living. So far, the successful Chinese fighters have mostly come from sanda or wrestling backgrounds.
marvin8
Wuji

Previous

Return to Off the Topic