Political Humor Only Please

The following typical threads that plague martial arts sites will get moved here if not just deleted: 1 - My style is better than Your style" - 2 - "Internal & External" - 3 - Personal attacks - 4 - Threads that start well, but degenerate into a spiral of nonsense.

Re: Political Humor Only Please

Postby Bill on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:32 am

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:34 am

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:45 am

In 1991, Barack Obama was 29 years old and about to graduate from Harvard Law School. That year, he penned a paper with his buddy Robert Fisher called "Race and Rights Rhetoric" where he summed up the average American mindset in one rather brutal and prescient sentence: "I may not be Donald Trump now, but just you wait; if I don't make it, my children will."
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:05 am

Bill wrote:Image

Meaning. No one wants to be enslaved. It's mystical to think that the weak want freedom less than the strong.

I don't see the political humor in this, but I do know that it all depends on what and who one considers "the weak." It's also interesting that the complaints about the "weak" and the "poor" come from those who consider themselves the "strong" but not necessarily the "rich."

Besides, is it a surprise that women would prefer to be equal in freedom?

Oops, I forgot. It was a joke. Silly me.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:23 am

It is the difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Steve James on Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:26 pm

Bill wrote:It is the difference between equality of opportunity and equality of outcome.

I'd consider that except that it "should" mean (besides the baggage behind the statement) that you believe in equality. The way you used De Tocqueville's statement was that the "weak" and the "strong" are somehow determined. Are you the weak or the strong? If weak, then you have to agree with De Tocqueville or be content with your weakness.

Besides, only the weak are intimidated by equality because they fear losing the competition. When laws are imposed in order to hold people back (for centuries), it means those laws were necessary. Make it illegal to learn to read, then point out their illiteracy.

Anyway, De Tocqueville was fed up with "democracy" in France (after its revolution). He came to the US to see how it was working. Even if he made comments about a country with slaves that also professed equality, he wasn't just talking about slaves. His idea could also apply to poor Whites without slaves. They didn't have equality of opportunity, despite the outcome.

In England, when Protestants were in power, they stole from the Catholics, and worse. Yes, they complained about people like Guy Fawkes who wanted to bring the government down. Was that the weak wanting everyone to be oppressed? I don't know. I do know that more modern thinkers have suggested that human needs are fairly universal. Every person knows that slavery is not right for him (to paraphrase another 19th century commentator on the US.
"A man is rich when he has time and freewill. How he chooses to invest both will determine the return on his investment."
Steve James
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Dave Chapelle roasts "Juicy Smollé"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZXoErL2124
Michael

Postby Michael on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:24 pm

Dave Chappelle's Abortion Stance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoudH-RPnEE
Michael

Postby grzegorz on Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:25 am

Oh the irony!

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russian state communications watchdog Roskomnadzor said tech giants Google and Facebook (FB.O) had allowed political advertising during Sunday’s regional elections despite being asked to ban such publicity.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
grzegorz
Wuji

Postby Bill on Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 am

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:02 am

Uhm, err, more orange man bad lies.

Axe shoe lee, it was, erm, Snoopes says 359 "ham"burgers and 207 fish sandwhiches, there Miss Sanders-Goebbels. *

*j/k
Michael

Postby Bill on Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:39 am

Mike, I'm a Trump supporter but I gotta say that one was funny.
It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Bill on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:32 pm

It hurts when I Pi
Bill
Great Old One

Postby Michael on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:27 pm

Bill wrote:Mike, I'm a Trump supporter but I gotta say that one was funny.

Politics is good for laughs and not much else. -lol-
Michael

Postby Steve James on Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Ha, ha, ha ...
The Rev. Jonathan Carl glanced at Twitter and laughed out loud in disbelief.

The president had mixed up Jonathan Carl, the Kentucky minister with fewer than 375 Twitter followers, with Jonathan Karl, the ABC News reporter whose journalism had ruffled the feathers of the commander in chief.

Carl’s laughter soon turned into concern. Trump had called Carl a “lightweight reporter.” And some of Trump’s ardent fans weren’t happy with Jonathan Carl — not realizing that he wasn’t Jonathan Karl.

The “drive-by tweet” brought on “intense vitriol and hatred,” Carl said. He was suddenly experiencing what many of Trump’s intended Twitter targets go through almost daily: a barrage of infuriated tweets from Trump’s followers.

The pastor stopped laughing. And on Monday, a week after his evening as a sudden Twitter target, he published an open letter to Trump.

“Although I was an accidental casualty caught in the cross-fire of your ‘lightweight’ tweet, your attack was very purposeful and hurtful. Many others, whether American citizens or global citizens, feel wounded and hurt by the shrapnel and side-effects of your ongoing Twitter attacks,” Carl wrote in his letter.

He hurled the same insult back at Trump that Trump had mistakenly leveled at him — but then turned it into a theological point. “Let’s be honest, you are a lightweight too,” Carl wrote. “We all are. God is the only heavyweight who knows it all and gets it right all the time.”

He pleaded with the president: “Please don’t make the Twitter-universe such a dark and depressing place. It shouldn’t be a place to argue, fight, or jockey for position. We can disagree and debate without childish name-calling. You can make Twitter a better place.”

Steve James
Great Old One

PreviousNext

Return to Been There Done That