Flying Monk 31 - Using Internal Arts for Real Fighting

A collection of links to internal martial arts videos. Serious martial arts videos ONLY. Joke videos go to Off the Topic.

Flying Monk 31 - Using Internal Arts for Real Fighting

Postby lineofintent on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:18 pm

I am joined here by Serge Augier, renowned internal fighting expert

Last edited by lineofintent on Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
lineofintent
Wuji

Re: Flying Monk 31 - Using Internal Arts for Real Fighting!

Postby Bhassler on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:58 pm

Doesn't seem to be worth an exclamation point for the one minute he spends talking about fighting. I'll summarize and save someone else the 23 minutes of watching: do well designed partner drills.

Sounds kind of like every other martial art that was ever used for fighting, ever, but I guess since he's Daoist that makes it internal?
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby GrahamB on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:56 am

Turn the auto generated subtitles on - they work quite well.

I quite like his idea that (and this is just my interpretation of what he said) you should have 3 techniques that you know work, then you can just relax and just train the rest of your martial art for 'fun' or self cultivation, not life and death seriousness.

(By 'work' I think he means kill or incapacitate in some way).

Martial arts works better (I think) when approached with a spirit of experimentation and play ("Torshilteel" in Mongolian) and this would be one way to take the pressure off yourself so you can do this.
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Postby lineofintent on Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:44 am

Yes Serge here gives 3 explicit concepts which can be the basis for an approach to real fighting. He goes much deeper in his book Daoist Boxing but it is clear enough.

1.How to train so you can use the quality of your art, and not default to kickboxing.
2. Use of legs.
3. Inside outside

And there were other important ideas scattered amongst his light manner, with just a singular mention of drills.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby windwalker on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:14 am

.l
1.How to train so you can use the quality of your art, and not default to kickboxing.
2. Use of legs.
3. Inside outside

If one has a default, it means they have not been trained enough. The training itself should be the default.
Last edited by windwalker on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windwalker
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:33 am

I stand by my assertion that the majority of the talk had nothing to do with fighting, and the title is essentially click-bait.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby everything on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:08 pm

GrahamB wrote:Turn the auto generated subtitles on - they work quite well.

I quite like his idea that (and this is just my interpretation of what he said) you should have 3 techniques that you know work, then you can just relax and just train the rest of your martial art for 'fun' or self cultivation, not life and death seriousness.

Martial arts works better (I think) when approached with a spirit of experimentation and play ("Torshilteel" in Mongolian) and this would be one way to take the pressure off yourself so you can do this.

Seems like a good philosophy for all of life
amateur practices til gets right pro til can't get wrong
/ better approx answer to right q than exact answer to wrong q which can be made precise /
“most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. Source of all true art & science
everything
Wuji

Postby robert on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:33 pm

Bhassler wrote:I stand by my assertion that the majority of the talk had nothing to do with fighting, and the title is essentially click-bait.

I agree. When talking about having three techniques he says if your opponent does not move too much. That's considered real fighting? I don't think that qualifies as sparring. In sparring your opponent should be trying to evade.
The method of practicing this boxing art is nothing more than opening and closing, passive and active. The subtlety of the art is based entirely upon their alternations. Chen Xin
robert
Wuji

Postby GrahamB on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:38 pm

everything wrote:
GrahamB wrote:Turn the auto generated subtitles on - they work quite well.

Seems like a good philosophy for all of life

Yes it is! Woven Energy podcast episode 8: much more important than martial arts :)
One does not simply post on RSF.
The Tai Chi Notebook
GrahamB
Great Old One

Re: Flying Monk 31 - Using Internal Arts for Real Fighting

Postby posidon on Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:55 am

Hello to everyone. With respect to whatever everyone trains, I will also like to offer my opinion on the video and at some of the comments here.

First of all, obviously this is not a training video. This is an informative video where Alex asks mainly on the upcoming Serge's seminar and also on elements of the "Daoist boxing" book. The title of the video (I think) describes a part of Serge's art that has to do with fighting, i.e It is an internal art that can be used in real fighting and also links to the "Daoist boxing" book, so I do not think is misleading. By the way I'm reading the book and is exceptional, regardless on what you train.

Also for those who mentioned the non-moving targets, if you closely watch the video you will find a point around 13:12 that Serge is telling that with the technique you can make the opponent not to move so much and then you hit him. So he doesn't speak about non-moving targets but to bring the opponent in an almost non-moving position and hit. Of course you cannot expect him to analyze in detail how this is done in a video. That's what seminars are for :)
Sparring is also not an issue here. He doesn't talk about sparring.

For any misunderstandings I'm not one of Serge's students (I would have no problem to declare that, in case I was) but I know Alex quite a few time now. I have participated in one of Serge's seminars in Cambridge in 2011. I encourage everybody to go and meet him in his seminars and then of course make up his mind about him.

My best wishes for a beutiful and relaxing Sunday to all.
posidon
Mingjing

Postby Bhassler on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:30 am

Y
posidon wrote:Hello to everyone. With respect to whatever everyone trains, I will also like to offer my opinion on the video and at some of the comments here.

First of all, obviously this is not a training video. This is an informative video where Alex asks mainly on the upcoming Serge's seminar and also on elements of the "Daoist boxing" book. The title of the video (I think) describes a part of Serge's art that has to do with fighting, i.e It is an internal art that can be used in real fighting and also links to the "Daoist boxing" book, so I do not think is misleading. By the way I'm reading the book and is exceptional, regardless on what you train.

Also for those who mentioned the non-moving targets, if you closely watch the video you will find a point around 13:12 that Serge is telling that with the technique you can make the opponent not to move so much and then you hit him. So he doesn't speak about non-moving targets but to bring the opponent in an almost non-moving position and hit. Of course you cannot expect him to analyze in detail how this is done in a video. That's what seminars are for :)
Sparring is also not an issue here. He doesn't talk about sparring.

For any misunderstandings I'm not one of Serge's students (I would have no problem to declare that, in case I was) but I know Alex quite a few time now. I have participated in one of Serge's seminars in Cambridge in 2011. I encourage everybody to go and meet him in his seminars and then of course make up his mind about him.

My best wishes for a beutiful and relaxing Sunday to all.

You are absolutely correct that this is mostly on the upcoming seminar. This, like pretty much all of Alex's posts over the last few years, is to promote a product that he is selling, whether it be a seminar, a book, or whatever. There's nothing wrong with that, but at least be straightforward about it. The click-bait title, along with the passive-aggressive marketing (like where Serge says things like "this is too simple and easy to learn, and not good for making money at seminars" and then turns around and starts talking about all the stuff you can only learn at his seminars) leaves me feeling kind of 'meh' about the whole thing.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Postby lineofintent on Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:47 am

BHassler yes you are right, i am trying to promote our books and films and seminars.

They are made by people who embody the old traditions, which are of immense value for all of us living in this unbalanced age.

Tens of thousands of people have derived huge benefit from these works these past 20 years since we started. I know because I have countless emails and visitors who tell me these practices have transformed their lives for the better, or kept them alive in bad situations.

If you do not like it, I respect your feeling, and suggest you just avoid my posts and our works. If you have something to tell Serge I suggest go and say hi to him at one of his many public seminars, he is the friendliest person you can meet.

I will keep doing this work because I love the traditions, and feel blessed so many great exponents - such as Serge - trust that I am putting the work into the world in a good way.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby Wanderingdragon on Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:43 am

There is the simple answer, though it doesn’t sell books or pack seminars, it is, learn your art.
The point . is absolute
Wanderingdragon
Wuji

Postby lineofintent on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:06 am

That I agree with, it is hopefully where all the work of promotion and publishing leads people to.
lineofintent
Wuji

Postby Bhassler on Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi Alex,

I respect you (and Serge) as well. I do avoid your posts because I have my own practice based in the "old traditions", and I find that what you present in general does not interest me. I clicked on this one because of the stated subject matter, and was therefore disappointed to find that the video was, for lack of a better way of putting it, more of the same.

There is plenty of opportunity for you to contribute to the forum and share the value and quality of your work, but the only thing that seems to make it is advertising for the things that will also make you money. There's nothing wrong with that, but don't be surprised that it's noticed and that people will react as they will.
Bhassler
Great Old One

Next

Return to Video Links